Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Really weird Egg

+2
LynBar Ranch
cuckoomama
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Really weird Egg Empty Really weird Egg Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:18 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I went to the henhouse to pick up the eggs this morning and found a really weird egg. i have seen a few weird ones in the last year but this is almost the strangest. It was fairly large, with furrows and bumps. The picture does not really show the furrows.

Really weird Egg P1100225

What causes this? They are eating a mixture of layer pellets, layer mash and free ranging ...bugs, raspberries, strawberries and anything else that we are growing.

2Really weird Egg Empty Re: Really weird Egg Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:19 pm

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

My 'guess' is you need oyster shells.

http://LynBarRanch.com

3Really weird Egg Empty Weird egg Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:48 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

That's the funny thing, they get oyster shell,but a few days ago I ran out. I washed up the egg shells that we usually put around the rose bushes and dried them in the oven, then put them in the blender and made a powder. The got them two days ago and since then. I thought that it would be ok, since they were washed and dried. Maybe not?

4Really weird Egg Empty Re: Really weird Egg Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Are they getting on in age? I've seen this from older birds.

5Really weird Egg Empty Weird egg Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:12 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Nope, the bird that may have laid it is just a year...not too old? The oldest bird that we have is a barnyard banty named Betty. She was given to us with her mom and 3 brothers 2 summers ago. The next are Cuckoo Marans just over a year and the ISA Reds are one year middle of July, so ????? don't know.

6Really weird Egg Empty Re: Really weird Egg Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:19 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

7Really weird Egg Empty Re: Really weird Egg Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:31 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

You need to go to the thread about weird shaped eggs on our forum here, you would not believe some of them. Weird shaped eggs happen now and then. It is not abnormal, well I certainly don't consider it to be, I think it is beautiful, smiling. If you have them all the time, then there is definitely something wicked your way has come. Not really, but something needs to be fixed. Have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.

8Really weird Egg Empty Re: Really weird Egg Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:11 pm

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

9Really weird Egg Empty Re: Really weird Egg Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:34 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

That was the exact thread I was thinking of, good job Triplejfarms!! Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

10Really weird Egg Empty Re: Really weird Egg Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:24 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total

11Really weird Egg Empty Re: Really weird Egg Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:48 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry, I'm going to call crap. I have had witnessed about 5 very strangely shaped eggs since my serious beginnings in keeping heritage breeds some 4 years ago. Don't care what anyone says, I do not believe 1 egg a year per hen (and that would be about what it is) is a precurser to some horrible and nasty disease. I have heard of Newcastle disease, that is an awful one too, as are so many others. Yes, maybe my head is in a silver lining in the clouds. But if the rare egg is laid that is really messed up, I absolutely (and this is only my personal opinion), would not be concerned, not one little bit. Now if it was a common experience, then that would be something I would attend to with grave concern. Yes and absolutely and for surely Sad . I have a strong opinion about one weird egg laid in a year time by a hen. I have kept a good number of chickens over the years and do not believe any disease is present in my flocks to even begin to think that I have issue with one or two eggs in a year that are laid that are just screwed right up. Or even that they have a lack in the diet. Maybe as indicated, I have my head in the clouds, but I sure do like it there and I am happy, smiling that big smile. And Tara, I still love you, you know you can say anything you want, free world. Anyone offended by words of another that is trying to help has their head somewhere else and needs to get it out. Have a beautiful night with days to follow, CynthiaM.

12Really weird Egg Empty Re: Really weird Egg Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:35 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total

13Really weird Egg Empty Re: Really weird Egg Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:58 am

When I spoke to the vet they said that diseases like CRD cause lesions. When the lesions are in the ova-duct you get misshaped eggs because it interferes with the depositing of calcium.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum