Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Contaminated meat spill.

+3
rosewood
GoldenSeal
uno
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Contaminated meat spill. Empty Contaminated meat spill. Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:37 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

The news is all over the contaminated meat coming out of that Brooks, Alberta meat plant. Now the U.S. Food Inspection has become involved and they never seem to tire of inventing inflated reasons to stomp all over Canada's cattle industry.

But the blame I place here is squarely on our own regulators who decided that LOCAL slaughterhouses were not good enough! The imposition of draconian and impossible standards forced, quite purposely, local small operators to shut down and the brilliance of the CFIA made meat contamination a MASSIVE issue, instead of a localized issue.

People are protesting an oil line through BC, protesting crude being shipped by tanker over very sensitive waters because an accident would have far reaching consequences. Well, the meat slaughter and distribution system as it is is every bit as dangerous to enormous amounts of people, and yet no one seem to protest that. Why? Because we are all stupid as sheep and believe every idiot in a lab coat who tells us THEY know what's better for us than we do! That the local butcher Bob is too dirty to continue providing beef to the local families and must be shut down and let's put slaughter/distribution in the hands of big faceless, nameless, massive companies where no one is accountable.

Neighbours all around me grow acres and acres of dope and are less bothered by enforcement than the guy who butchers a cow for someone else! THis is stinking insane! Every time I hear of a contamination that has travelled over thousands of miles and crossed borders I think, well, gee, why would anyone be surpirised? THe CFIA has set it up this way! The more people who get sick, the busier and more important they can pretend to be. Quick, make announcements, pull products, inspect plants, beat your own chest, pat yourself on the back but never let on that it was your killing the small local processor that left John Public vulnerable to this sort of huge, sweeping threat. I blame the Govt. I blame the CFIA and most of all I blame PEOPLE who are just so hopelessly ignorant. We all want a guarantee that nothing bad will ever happen to us. Seat belts, helmets, immunizations, insurance policies and the CFIA. Ain't no guarantee but if you want one, someone will step up to put on a magic show and charge you mightily for it. Do you like your illusion of perpetual safety? Then pay up...and buy your mass meat, questionably raised and probably inhumanely slaughtered at the mass market. Ptuuiii (spitting on ground) is what I say to this whole mess, none of which is an accident.

2Contaminated meat spill. Empty Re: Contaminated meat spill. Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:09 pm

GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

uno wrote:The news is all over the contaminated meat coming out of that Brooks, Alberta meat plant. Now the U.S. Food Inspection has become involved and they never seem to tire of inventing inflated reasons to stomp all over Canada's cattle industry.

But the blame I place here is squarely on our own regulators who decided that LOCAL slaughterhouses were not good enough! The imposition of draconian and impossible standards forced, quite purposely, local small operators to shut down and the brilliance of the CFIA made meat contamination a MASSIVE issue, instead of a localized issue.

People are protesting an oil line through BC, protesting crude being shipped by tanker over very sensitive waters because an accident would have far reaching consequences. Well, the meat slaughter and distribution system as it is is every bit as dangerous to enormous amounts of people, and yet no one seem to protest that. Why? Because we are all stupid as sheep and believe every idiot in a lab coat who tells us THEY know what's better for us than we do! That the local butcher Bob is too dirty to continue providing beef to the local families and must be shut down and let's put slaughter/distribution in the hands of big faceless, nameless, massive companies where no one is accountable.

Neighbours all around me grow acres and acres of dope and are less bothered by enforcement than the guy who butchers a cow for someone else! THis is stinking insane! Every time I hear of a contamination that has travelled over thousands of miles and crossed borders I think, well, gee, why would anyone be surpirised? THe CFIA has set it up this way! The more people who get sick, the busier and more important they can pretend to be. Quick, make announcements, pull products, inspect plants, beat your own chest, pat yourself on the back but never let on that it was your killing the small local processor that left John Public vulnerable to this sort of huge, sweeping threat. I blame the Govt. I blame the CFIA and most of all I blame PEOPLE who are just so hopelessly ignorant. We all want a guarantee that nothing bad will ever happen to us. Seat belts, helmets, immunizations, insurance policies and the CFIA. Ain't no guarantee but if you want one, someone will step up to put on a magic show and charge you mightily for it. Do you like your illusion of perpetual safety? Then pay up...and buy your mass meat, questionably raised and probably inhumanely slaughtered at the mass market. Ptuuiii (spitting on ground) is what I say to this whole mess, none of which is an accident.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

3Contaminated meat spill. Empty Re: Contaminated meat spill. Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:10 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree as well. Here is a link to another part of the story-http://www.albertaviews.ab.ca/2012/04/26/cut-to-the-bone/

4Contaminated meat spill. Empty Re: Contaminated meat spill. Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Some of us dumb asses have just gone underground with our practices. Circumvented the system, I guess.

5Contaminated meat spill. Empty Re: Contaminated meat spill. Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have been following this on CBC One. Apparently when this problem was first discovered the company sat on the info a couple weeks before sharing with the press.

6Contaminated meat spill. Empty Re: Contaminated meat spill. Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:18 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Underground? Undergroundbeef? Who knew we'd see the day when home raised and processed meat was a dirty little secret. They're talking about decriminalizing marijuana, but home slaughtered meat is still a criminal act? We have lost our minds!

7Contaminated meat spill. Empty Re: Contaminated meat spill. Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmm, maybe 'cause pot kills you slowly and contaminated meat will do you in faster?

8Contaminated meat spill. Empty Re: Contaminated meat spill. Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:40 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Its 'cause the pot Producers dont pay taxes, and will tell you so with an AK-47. Slaughter plants on the other hand...

9Contaminated meat spill. Empty Re: Contaminated meat spill. Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:45 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, isn't that just a huge untapped resource, Swamp Hen! Shhh...don't tell the government!

10Contaminated meat spill. Empty Re: Contaminated meat spill. Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:34 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

AK-47? Swamp Hen, you have obviously met my neighbours. Nice people. When they don't have that AK in their hands!

11Contaminated meat spill. Empty Re: Contaminated meat spill. Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:29 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Gubmint Plan;

Harass small beef producers.
Put them out of business.
Force people to buy mass meat.
Do nothing to Pot producers.
Pot gives people munchies.
People eat more mass meat.

12Contaminated meat spill. Empty Re: Contaminated meat spill. Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:38 am

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

Fowler wrote:

Gubmint Plan;

Harass small beef producers.
Put them out of business.
Force people to buy mass meat.
Do nothing to Pot producers.
Pot gives people munchies.
People eat more mass meat.

HaHaHa Laughing

I don't have anything good to say about govt or CFIA Evil or Very Mad

I do know however that 6 years back when I worked at a chicken processing plant the CFIA would put hold tags on a lot of the meat(diseases ect.)... when they left the processing area the plant managers would empty the unsatisfactory meat into new boxes and send it out the door Suspect This was the main reason I quit!! It was awful, even chickens that fell to the floor and after an hour were picked up, then re hung without so much as a wash No They should have not been processed at all. Some of this meat is sent over sea's but also was sent to KFC, Earl's Restaurants and Safeways Shocked to name a few.

So government puts laws in place, which they hire people to regulate and then money hungry co. puts unfit meat to market dispite regulation....just plain WRONG!!

Very few people working there would buy the meat even with an employee discount! Company never blinked an eye... they weren't making as much selling at discount price anyway!

With their practices they were not having much luck keeping staff(and keeping staff's mouth shut), so just before I left they were starting to bring people in on Work Visa's. Smart! Find the one's who don't speak english well and you can threaten to deport.

After working there I decided it was time to raise my own chickens(meat) and started a five year plan to move to an acreage Cool Everything worked out well and every time we eat anything from our own farm I am VERY thankful my family has this opportunity! I hope one day we will be able to supply many of our family members as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum