Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Horses and alcohol.

+8
happychicks
Hillbilly
CynthiaM
Susan
Fowler
fuzzylittlefriend
Schipperkesue
uno
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Horses and alcohol. Empty Horses and alcohol. Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:31 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

As far as I know, horses are legally allowed on roads and have the same rights and responsibilities as vehicles? Yes?

If so, must you be sober when on horseback? If you are riding your horse on a public road, and your blood alchol is over the limit...will you be in trouble?

OR is it the HORSE who must be sober?

If the horse can walk a straight line, even though the driver can't, are you still okay?

Since the horse is the 'vehicle' you would think the sobriety of the horse is not an issue here. It can be as drunk as it wants. However the DRIVER must be sober. BUt are you allowed to drive a drunk horse on a public road?

I can understand there being trouble if both rider and horse are drunk. But if only one is drunk, who should be sober. and who can go ahead and tie one on?

I will divulge nothing further, but this issue did come up in my house tonight. I won't say who had been drinking, horse, rider or both. But as a point of interest, does drinking and riding a perhaps tipsy horse violate any known laws?

2Horses and alcohol. Empty Re: Horses and alcohol. Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:37 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Who can resist a topic like that, Uno!

I think you should have sat the tipsy being behind your computer to solve all your problems. You may have been more successful with the horse.

3Horses and alcohol. Empty Re: Horses and alcohol. Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:46 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thats a lot of booze to waste on the horse... Very Happy

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

4Horses and alcohol. Empty Re: Horses and alcohol. Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:54 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

is the act of operating a motor vehicle (and even a bicycle, boat or horse in some jurisdictions) after having consumed alcohol

Don't know if they include horse in BC or not.

5Horses and alcohol. Empty Re: Horses and alcohol. Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:59 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My horse got my rum and come once at an aisle party at a show... I was really glad we didn't get drug tested lol!!

6Horses and alcohol. Empty Re: Horses and alcohol. Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:01 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh lawdy gal, boy do you ever conjure up the weirdest things to say and make us think about. Ya, too much booze to waste on a horse, hope the other enjoyed it more. Think she needs a spanking, bad girl!! A little old to be doing that, but, hey, ya never know. Did you spare the rod? I saw three horses and riders yesterday in the process of being tied up so the people could go into a restaurant, right on downtown Enderby main street. I actually thought it was cool, small town stuff eh? Kindof reminded me of the old west shows. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

7Horses and alcohol. Empty Re: Horses and alcohol. Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:13 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes CYnthia, I saw pics of the local riders going in for coffee and a goodie while their rides were tied to the railing. PRetty much was the end of the landscaping but oh well, this time of year most landscaping is pretty much done for anyway.

A certain individual (not me!) is trying to make Enderby a horse friendly town and has been doing quite a bit of work with local businesses to make places for people to park their ponies. He is quite determined. People like to see horses in town, it gives things an almost festive air, like a parade is going on. You'd think poop would be a problem but it seems people show up from nowhere to scoop it up and take it home for their roses. Horse manure is a very useful by-product. I hope this fellow has success with his plans. They are quite ambitious.

8Horses and alcohol. Empty Re: Horses and alcohol. Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:17 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What if you drop the reins and let the horse steer himself? Then drunken rider would not actually be operating said transport. They are just a passenger are they not? I have ridden beerback once or twice.

On a serious note, horse council BC has a road safety handbook for equestrians;

BC motor vehicle act...
Part 3 section 19, paragraph 1

"Traffic" includes pedestrians, RIDDEN OR HERDED ANIMALS, vehicles, cycles and other conveyances, either singly or together, while using a highway to travel.

Part 3 section 120, paragrapgh 1 subparagrapgh c
"A person riding an animal or driving an animal on a highway has the rights and is subject to the duties of the driver of a vehicle under this part"

Also of note, if you cause an accident you could be held liable.

As for equines that need the 12 step program, I think abstinence is the best policy. You've seen Barnyard haven't you?

9Horses and alcohol. Empty Re: Horses and alcohol. Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:34 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Don't know about horses drinking and driving but I know that horses aren't allowed through Tim Horton's drivethrough around here. One smart fellow who lost his license for drinking and driving and took the judge "seriously" when he told him he could ride a horse. He took the horse through a drivethrough at Tim Horton's and they refused to serve him. Enough fuss was made about it that it made the news. Tim's didn't back down. "No horses allowed" in the drivethrough. I thought it was funny!

10Horses and alcohol. Empty Re: Horses and alcohol. Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:37 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

11Horses and alcohol. Empty Re: Horses and alcohol. Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:52 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm not sure about the legal issues here, but you reminded me of the movie "Cat Ballou".

12Horses and alcohol. Empty Re: Horses and alcohol. Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:30 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have ridden beerback a few times myself Hillbilly! Very Happy

We used to ride our horses to the pub, tie them outside, have a few and ride home. Horses knew how to get home, can't teach a car that. This was back when I was young and foolish, wouldn't do it now of course. Wink

13Horses and alcohol. Empty Re: Horses and alcohol. Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:56 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beerback, hahaha!

Refused service at Tim Horton's! Preposterous! Around here the kid has gone to the pick up window for soft ice cream. Only thing is to hand it to a PERSON and not the waiting mouth of a horse. Yes, they will eat soft ice cream. Very quickly!

Coopslave, no kidding the horse knows the way home, the very first auto pilot. GPS stands for Glad the Pony is Sober.

If the horse is the pilot...does it need to be licensed by an overseeing regulatory body and carry with it proof of license and ID at all times?

14Horses and alcohol. Empty Re: Horses and alcohol. Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:17 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Knew a horse once that was a much better team roping horse after consuming a case of beer (much by accident at the time!!).

I figure if both horse and rider had been drinking ones swaying one way may straighten the others swaying. LOL.

Before we moved we rode our horses through the Timmies drive through in Lloyd and were served. We were also served at McDonald's, and subway but they refused us at A&W until we tied up the horses in the parking lot. They said it was due to health issues that they could not serve us at the drive through they said if the horse left a "trail" by the window the fumes can contaminate the building. They even took to management the fact that at certain times of the year they need a hitching rail to tie the horses at as there are many people riding. Never got that though! LOL

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum