Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

kids, horses, traffic.

+2
BriarwoodPoultry
uno
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1kids, horses, traffic. Empty kids, horses, traffic. Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:56 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

When is it appropriate to speak up? I don't like sticking my nose in other people's business or telling them how to raise their kids, but I am freaking out right now.

My almost no-longer-a-teen is, in my limited opinion, a good rider. Not only is she a good rider, she is also pretty confident around horses. As in, she will tolerate no BS. Once she feels a horse knows what's expected of it, failure to deliver what is expected will be met with..uh...disapproval. So when she is on a horse or handling a horse that gives her grief, she is not at a loss.

New to the neighbourhood is another horsey teen (13) who, like my own, is an only child and very loved (read spoiled). But unlike mine, who I freely admit is spoiled, the other's mother is non-confrontational, mild, not prone to crazy acts aimed at putting the fear of god (mother) into child. But I parented in a very, uh, passionate way. I had RULES and battled hard to enforce them because my number one goal was not to have my kid die doing something stupid that I could prevent. Safety first!

I used to allow, on the very rare occassion, my daughter and her friend to ride horses into town to the ice cream joint and get a cone at the drive through window. This did NOT require that they cross a highway. THey were on small town streets. I also NEVER allowed this during high traffic times like long weekends. As a BC tourist town, summer traffic gets terrible. Both the girls were good riders and both the horse were seasoned pros with traffic. I had seen both girls riding the trails up here for years and it was not until I was firmly confident in their abilities and the behaviour of the horses that I let my daughter mix her horse with traffic. Even at that, highway traffic was a no-go.

New neighbour horse kid has taken many lessons on lesson ponies and is a good rider. Good hands, good seat, good legs. BUT...she does not know what to do when faced with a horse that gives her any stink, or gets stupid or panics. She rides the road with another local young girl who has NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL and has no confidence and is able to do nothing with a horse other than sit on it. The two horses are...not owned by people who make them behave. They are pushy, hard mouthed and prone to bullying their riders. Neither rider is remotely able to deal with the bad behaviour of these horses. Potential disaster is bad enough on the trails...but it goes up 100 times when these two girls get on those two horses to go ride through the very busy downtown streets (My kid never rode into the downtown core, ever. Ice cream joint is reached without entering the main downtown area, heavy traffic is skirted. Today these girls want to go downtown, not for ice cream).

That is their plan today. Those two girls on horses they cannot control, with only one of them being able to ride, are going to ride through downtown. They called my Horsey Teen to join them. Horsey teen, when she learned of their plan, declined the offer. Her words, "No way am I getting into the middle of that train wreck! Her mom needs to keep that kid OUT of town on those horses. This is the parent's problem and I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole." I am shocked to say this, but my daughter is right. Some parent is setting thiese kids to be in a traffic wreck involving horses! Neither those girls nor those horses are traffic/town worthy and this is going to go so wrong! I am freaking out.

Simply being able to stay on a horse DOES NOT make you a rider! I am aghast that these two kids might actually do this with the blessing of parents who obviously have NO CLUE how it goes. I have seen the two riding when the one horse with the non-rider acts up. She literally begins to panic, cry and starts yanking wildly on the horse's face while kicking it. This creates a chain reaction in which the horse does NOT behave better but instead becomes confused and starts backing up quickly or spinning, while the rider crying. THIS IS HOW KIDS END UP IN THE HOSPITAL! Picture this in a busy, downtown area! HELLO! WHAT KIND OF DRUGS ARE YOU ON TO NOT KNOW HOW STUPID THIS IS!

So...how do you tactfull say, uh..this is perhaps not such a good idea? How do you tell a parent that their kid is NOT a road worthy rider and should only ride in a field or where traffic isn't going to compound the problem? I don't want to step on any toes. Nor do I want to see dead horses, dead kids or dead drivers. All of which are potential when stupid kids ride bad horses where they have no damn business being. And yet some parent has said yes or is not smart enough to know this is beyond their kid's capabilities to do safely.

So..I pace and wonder if I should speak up I spoje up once when same kids were, 3 on the quad, driving around here at HIGH speeds without a helmet in sight! Fine, drive your quad, but wear a helmet, it's the least you can do.I called over that. Road rash is one thing. Smashed heads is another. Mom was , "Oh, dear, I didn't know. I thought she was wearing a helmet.." Uh, no. Three on the quad at once, no helmets. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

What would YOU do? I feel bad but wonder if I should say anything since I already have ratted the kids out over the helmet thing. These kids on these horses are NOT safe in downtown, summer traffic. They just aren't that good on horses yet.

2kids, horses, traffic. Empty Re: kids, horses, traffic. Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:34 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I feel for you, what DO you do? I often say nothing, because what CAN you say without coming across as know-it-all or questioning the parent's ability to parent. I haven't found the solution yet, so I say nothing.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

3kids, horses, traffic. Empty Re: kids, horses, traffic. Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:04 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well Briarwood, I made a phone call.

I called the non-rider's father and said, "I just wanted to be sure that you were aware and okay with the plan for the two girls to ride horses into downtown." Dad said no, he was not aware, this was news to him.

I hastened to add that if he was comfortable with this, that was fine, his choice, blah, blah, blah. I just wasn't too sure if he knew or not. I have a feeling these two girls are pretty good at pulling wool over parents eyes.

When my daughter was 14 or 15 and wanted to ride to town with buddy and I said yes, I am certain they did exactly as I permitted them to do. And I was certain because I often got in my truck, followed them to town, parked across from the ice cream place, then told them if they were not home in 25 minutes (how long it took) I would be back looking for them!

My kid was a hard kid to raise. It was a battle every single day. But she KNEW, because I showed up and checked up on her, that I was capable and willing to SEEK HER OUT and make her life a living hell if she did not keep her word and respect the boundaries. Was she perfect? Puhleeze! She fought me every step of the way. But...if I could trust her I could allow her more room to move. Since many people in this community know me or my daughter if she was ever seen being up to no good or in a questionable activity, my phone rang and someone said "did you know I just saw your kid doing..." and I never freaked out or told anyone tom ind their own business! That is like slapping people who are helping you! I made sure to thank each one of them for taking the time to bother phoning me, I appreciate that they would act on their concern. So my kid was WATCHED and ratted out by others and had me show up and embarrass her. I think that was my job. I am here to teach her and to hell with her self esteem or ego! I CARE about her surviving to adulthood, that was my JOB! I hope the father I spoke to today realizes it was out of concern for his kid, and not out of judgement of him as a parent.

4kids, horses, traffic. Empty Re: kids, horses, traffic. Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:17 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I usually end up making everyone mad because I can be pretty blunt and to the point. I had a similar issue except the parents went and bought their beginner (never on a horse before) a horse who had two weeks riding on him, then wanted me to teach these two how to fo gymkhana events. I looked at the mom znd bluntly said "you can kill your daughter with this horse and wanting to do speed events on it, but I will have no part. I walked away with mom being very mad znd daughter in a tiff. I seen they were entered in the parade a week later and went to the parade officials and informed them of lack of training of said horse and rider. She was to be placed between a fire truck with little kids on bikes behind it then her then more young kids in a wagon including infants being pulled by a mom on a lawn mower followed by a police car with sirens blaring. She was abruptly moved to the very end of the parade. Her mom came at me screaming because I was responsible for the daughter being moved. I again informed her she could kill her daughter, but I was not going to let them kill a bunch of little kids. I also pointed out to the mom that as soon as the horns and sirens went off the horse went snakey, bucked her daughter off, ran over a parked motor bike, and ran into the back end of a horse trailer. Said horse ended up running away, and daughter did not get to ride in the parade. The dad later came to me apologized for his wife's behavior, and informed me said horse was going to be shipped because it was no good. I of course did not keep my mouth shut, and informed him there was nothing wrong with the horse that time with zn experienced rider wouldn't fix. I also informed him that his daughter needed a well broke horse and lessons before being thrown into what her mom wants her to do now. Mom still won't speak to me but dad has asked that I help find a horse that would be safe.

Good luck with your decision!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

5kids, horses, traffic. Empty Re: kids, horses, traffic. Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:01 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hats off to you, Smoky. Horses aren't 10 speeds. It has taken me many years and some hard lessons to realize that horses are animals that can kill you on purpose, or kill you by accident, but beginner horses are NOT for beginner riders! So may people just have NO CLUE about this.

6kids, horses, traffic. Empty Re: kids, horses, traffic. Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:35 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Tough call Uno but bottom line is you have to live with yourself and the stuff you dont say can be pretty hard to live with.
I think if it comes from good motives, telling someone the truth (the way you see it) is the right thing to do.
you may never get thanked and you may never be popular but hey you can live with yourself because you did the best you could to protect the people and horses that were in danger.
i wish you were my neighbour Smile

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

7kids, horses, traffic. Empty Re: kids, horses, traffic. Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:30 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh girl, to speak or not to speak. That is such a roller coaster ride to travel. This is painfully awful. Horsey Teen even is totally aware of the perils of the train wreck that could occur with horses on busy roads. Not that Enderby is even remotely busy, well, summer time I guess, with that being the main travel from south to north. But still, busy enough to make the head spin. I hope that the girls will be OK, you can only do what you, yourself, feel comfortable with. The Father seems like he was listening, and that is good, the Mother, well...seems I have heard other stories about her, right? Or am I thinking of another person. Your Horsey Teen girl has a good head on her shoulders, and I picture a very strong willed gal that knows her horsey business, perhaps those girls will listen to Horsey Teen? Hope this all works out to a safe end. Beautiful and awesome day wishes for us all, CynthiaM.

8kids, horses, traffic. Empty Re: kids, horses, traffic. Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum