Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Partridge Chantecler x Black Copper Marans pullets (Okanagan)

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have started a project to develop a dark egg layer that has less comb and wattle. The pullets available are the first cross of the begining of this exercise.
I have 3 extras, I am keeping the others. I am very happy with these girls (actually the boys too, but I am eating them Very Happy), they are a lovely type of bird and growing really well. They are black with a red throat, similar to the Black Copper Marans hens. I believe these girls are about 16-17 weeks old.

This is what they look like:

Partridge Chantecler x Black Copper Marans pullets (Okanagan) SAM_1360
Partridge Chantecler x Black Copper Marans pullets (Okanagan) SAM_1386
(these were pictures of the older girls a couple of weeks ago, the younger ones are similar size now but blacker in the body for the most part)

Some have very lightly feathered shanks and some have none. I would like $20/ pullet, if you want all three we may be able to make a deal. I go to Kelowna at least once a week and would be happy to bring them that far.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very interesting!

Would you describe their legs and combs as black? They remind me of my all black chickens, although mine also have black eyes while yours have a rust/red eye. Do the combs stay small? Very neat looking birds.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, their legs are definately dark slate coloured. The girls I have kept do have dark combs as well. The flater combs seemed to be darker. They are staying very flat at this stage, it is the first time I have done this cross so I can update you when they start to lay. They are showing very little wattle as well, for the most part.

Of the pullets offered, one has a very flat, dark comb the other two are more pink with a bit of a ridge. I am looking forward to seeing the egg colour.

The ones I am keeping will go back again to a Splash Marans rooster and then I will keep all the flat combs from there and start chosing for egg colour and type.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum