Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Partridge Chantecler x Black Copper Marans

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

You all know I am playing around a bit with these. I have to say I am amazed at the vigour of these chicks. I just had another hatch. 9 eggs in, all fertile, all hatched! Shocked What's with that?!

They all look very similar. Black penguins with very big, white, old man eyebrows. That is how I tell them from the other blacks I have. Although one in this hatch is a bit different and more black all over. I would say about 50/50 feathered and clean legged. There may be some feather stubs on some of the ones that look clean legged, I will be able to tell that later.

They are big chicks that are growing and feathering really well. The older ones I have are bigger and more feathered than the WhAm chicks that are 5 days older.

I suspect they will be feathered the same as the Copper Marans. I am looking forward to seeing them fully feathered.

If anyone is interested in any of these guys let me know. I did not expect all 9 to hatch so I could be convinced to sell 3 or so of them. I will also be selling some of the pullets as they get older. I only want to keep a few of them for experimental breeding stock for next year. I am happy to eat the boys if others are not interested in them.

Off to town today, but I will try to get some pictures for you. It has been an interesting exercise so far.

Terre Wilde

Terre Wilde

I would be interested in some pullets when they become available. I'll be away mid June to mid July but if timing works out for you - contact me. Looking forward to the pics!

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Terre Wilde wrote:I would be interested in some pullets when they become available. I'll be away mid June to mid July but if timing works out for you - contact me. Looking forward to the pics!

Sounds good. The timing will be fine, I am growing them anyways. I will try to remember to contact you, but please try to harass me as well! Very Happy

Terre Wilde

Terre Wilde

Will do!

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ya, playing around is a fun thing, sounds like you might have a pretty cool cross. I am thinking of doing a barred rock cross with everything under the sun (cochin, buckeye, buff orpington) and see what I get. The barred girls get to free range with the other breeds, hard to keep one of them in, so I just let her partner in crime out too. Running my sportsman at 100.5 this time to see if that makes a difference in the hatch rate of chicks (after reading a post here, smiling, about having the fuzzy butts running out of energy and more warmth helps them to have energy, (like for pipping and existing their first eggy home) that was you right, Coopie??? that posted that link I think). Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

I wouldnt mind buying some fertile eggs of that mix if you have any and are willing to ship

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum