Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Exactly What Breeds are Heritage Breed Poultry

+17
triplejfarms
uno
Omega Blue Farms
ipf
pfarms
Country Thyme Farm
fuzzylittlefriend
Dark Wing Duck
CynthiaM
gamestaff
Susan
viczoe
call ducks
HigginsRAT
Chantecler_eh?
Hidden River
appway
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:
triplejfarms wrote:i say call them as you want...,

"Here uh...chicky chicky chick chick??" Razz

Tara

"Chook, chook, chook, chooooook, chooooooook, chook." Very Happy

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

"Chicka Chicka Chicka!!" Smile

ars800

ars800

I find this debate rather familiar. I studied gemmology for years and the same issues always occurred when it came to classifying something. We use terms like natural, synthetic, imitation, treated, etc, all to hang a word on something so we all knew what we were talking about. Funny thing is, people familiar with the topic knew the words (mostly), but Joe Public had no idea what most of the terminilogy meant to the inner sanctum. Picture a bunch of nerds sitting around making Star Trek jokes in Klingon and you kinda get the picture.

Enter marketing. They like to muddy the waters, sometimes intentionally, when they come up with new terms, brand names, or any other phrase to make something sound sexy and desireable. Scientists like to define and classify but who needs that boring stuff. We need catch phrases and jingles! Reminds me of the Dilbert cartoon where he walks by the marketing department. There is a sign above that says: Marketing - 2 drink minimum.

This looks to be the same thing. We sit around and talk about Heritage and terminology used for animals when, in reality, Joe Public has no idea what we are talking about, and oft times doesn't care. But to sell birds and differentiate, we add labels and "sexify" the descriptions.

Where does that leave us? Well, some people in the gem industry (not the salespeople), and many of us here think the answer is education. We can use all the terms and speak chicken geek to each other but when we deal with the public, our best weapon is education. We need to take the time and have the patience to eplain the differences in poultry and especially the benefits to buyers and anyone that will listen. It's in our best interests to do so. It's also in the best interest of "Heritage" poultry to do so.

http://www.islandpoultry.com/

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

IPF by either I was referring to the Standard of Perfection/ APA and or ALBC. I problaly should have been more clear.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have not had as much time to spend on the forums lately, so I’m late joining this conversation. But what a good discussion, and I hope no one is annoyed with me for bringing it back to the current posts. Smile

I’m surprised at the number of people who have stated that they don’t like the term Heritage. I’ve read the responses, and I still don’t understand why. I love the term. I love it because it gives the general public a term they can relate to and understand. I have noticed such a surge of interest from people, especially during the past 2 years who want to learn more about the traditional breeds of livestock. Heritage is something they recognize as old or traditional. The word itself isn’t that important, but the fact that people can look up ‘Heritage Breeds” and read the definition and have a clear understanding IS important. If the term Heirloom had been chosen by the ALBC, then fine, I would be happy to switch to “Hawthorn Hill Heirloom Poultry”. I don’t believe simply saying Dual Purpose is definitive enough. I have 4 large hens here – great layers - that are a mix of Australorp, Orpington and who knows what else. They are certainly dual purpose, but can’t be considered Heritage going by the ALBC definition. I want people to know that what I sell as Heritage is a pure breed that has been around for generations and is recognized by the APA.
Another point here, I fully consider my Cochins a heritage breed. They fit the definition as well as any. They may not put on weight as quickly as some others, but they are good productive layers and Cochins are an old breed. Plus, I think its important to remember that chickens have always been kept for different reasons and purposes, hence the wide variety of breeds available to us today. Here is an excerpt from a press release issued by the ALBC, which says it very well:

In an effort to secure the term Heritage in the food and agricultural marketplaces, The American Livestock Breeds
Conservancy (ALBC), a non-profit organization ensuring the survival of rare breeds of livestock and poultry, has
defined the term Heritage for chickens.
“Defining Heritage for chickens will help assure the term is not incorrectly used by uninformed breeders or coopted
by unscrupulous marketers trying to sell something as historic that is not,” says Marjorie Bender, Technical
Program Director for the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy.
Chickens have been a part of the American diet since the arrival of the Spanish explorers and since that time,
different breeds have been developed to provide meat, eggs and pleasure. After World War II, traditional or
Heritage breeds of poultry began losing favor to modern crosses specifically bred to meet production goals. In this
day and age, many Heritage breeds are losing popularity and many are nearing extinction, but with this definition
ALBC hopes to raise awareness for endangered breeds, to support their long-term conservation, to support efforts
to recover these breeds to historic levels of productivity and to re-introduce these culinary and cultural treasures
into the marketplace.

I was pleased to see that they have recognized that one of the 3 fundamental uses of heritage poultry is pleasure. If a breed is developed mainly for its ornamental value, there is merit to that as well, and is just as much a part of our heritage as an old variety of heirloom rose that my grandmother grew.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Well said KathyS. Heritage is an important word to me, it connects me with where I come from and the things that had to be done to get us all here.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

What do people consider Heritage Breeds and Why

Like others, I had considered a haritage breed as being an old farm breed. One with a history. As often happens, the definition has shifted and it no longer seems to apply to my mental picture.

her·i·tage (hr-tj)
n.
1. Property that is or can be inherited; an inheritance.
2. Something that is passed down from preceding generations; a tradition.
3. The status acquired by a person through birth; a birthright:

Hmmmm, nope the definition of heritage seems to still be there. So I'm thinking the problem is that the term has been coopted for marketing.

heir·loom (ârlm)
n.
1. A valued possession passed down in a family through succeeding generations.
2. An article of personal property included in an inherited estate.
3. A cultivar of a vegetable or fruit that is open-pollinated and is not grown widely for commercial purposes. An heirloom often exhibits a distinctive characteristic such as superior flavor or unusual coloration.

Good on the horticultural sector for nailing down this one. Perhaps something could be applied to poultry, "A breed of poultry that is capable of breeding true without artificial aid and is not grown widely for commercial purposes."

Perhaps the older varieties would benefit from a new terminology;

antique/anˈtēk/
Noun:
A collectible object such as a piece of furniture or work of art that has a high value because of its considerable age.

It could fit. Many of the breeds we like have been around for generations.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:
Fowler wrote:
antique/anˈtēk/
Noun:
A collectible object such as a piece of furniture or work of art that has a high value because of its considerable age.

It could fit. Many of the breeds we like have been around for generations.

Well said, antique Fowler! Here`s a platinum ticket for you... or maybe they will come pick you...take you on the roadshow...

Tara {the ancient...older than dirt a.k.a. terra firma but more flabby with time (and gravity!)} What a Face

Nay! I am heritage. Much more marketable. lol!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum