Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A gift of eggs.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A gift of eggs. Empty A gift of eggs. Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:15 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Had something happen last week that has not happened to me ever before. A friend dropped in to say hi and brought me a gift of a half dozen eggs.

It's usually me giving eggs away as gifts, or bringing them to family gatherings, or selling them to a customer. It is never me receiving eggs. But with the bear and coyote kills this year I am down to 3 hens, who do not lay regularly and suddenly eggs which I have had in abundance have become a scarce commodity.

I was so touched and so pleased to receive those eggs. I was truly moved by the gesture and it made me wonder, do the people who receive my eggs feel as delighted and happy? Do other people value my eggs as I value these precious six? With eggs coming out my ears sometimes they were a bother, hoggers of fridge space. I realize that I had slipped into egg complacency. But now...well I know now what a precious and wonderous thing an egg is. What a blessing it is to have extras in your fridge. How many last minute meals can be whipped together with eggs as their base. But when all you have in the fridge is two lone eggs...I just haven't had that in many, many years.

If you have abundant eggs, you should count your blessings. IT is easy to forget that many, many people are not nearly as lucky as we are. We might think we are entitled to such things. Really we're not. Just awful damn lucky.

2A gift of eggs. Empty Re: A gift of eggs. Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:48 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes we do know how lucky we are, I give away dozens of colourful eggs weekly and the people are so happy, I am sorry about your flock only 3 hens I could not imagine, Our egg production is down now to about 1 dozen a day from 3 or 4, but it should turn around soon and if I was closer I would gift your eggs weekly

http://www.popscoops.com

3A gift of eggs. Empty Re: A gift of eggs. Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:23 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Pops. If I was closer I'd take those eggs and feel ever so lucky to have them! I have some mutt youngsters and once they grow up I will have eggs again...if something doesn't eat them in the meantime.

4A gift of eggs. Empty Re: A gift of eggs. Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:35 pm

It's as they say ........It's the things that we take for granted that we miss the most .Although I have enough of my own eggs I have had the privlige of getting egg's sent to me by people who will remain a secret known only to me ,of certain breeds that I wanted and I felt a great sense of humility knowing that someone who I had never meet would do something for what can best be discribed as a total stranger except through this way of communicateing ? It makes me realize that we don't do enough for our fellow man ( women as well ) and maybe the world would be just a bit better if we did
If I was closer I would give you a whole flock of chickens (I hatched to many and I am now going through them and keeping the ones that meet my grade ) and you would be getting eggs real soon

5A gift of eggs. Empty Re: A gift of eggs. Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Someone I know used to give me eggs: now she cooks them for me. Best gift I've received.

6A gift of eggs. Empty Re: A gift of eggs. Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:31 am

Uno, that's so touching Smile

7A gift of eggs. Empty Re: A gift of eggs. Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:58 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

rosewood wrote:Someone I know used to give me eggs: now she cooks them for me. Best gift I've received.
Oh lawdy, what a beautiful thought, that must be your most beautiful Wife. Smiling. Picturing you as a young man, this woman with eggs in her hands, knowing full well that one day those hands will prepare eggs for your food table, and bear you children. You have conjured up a very lovely picture for my mind's eye,thank you. Just lovely....

Uno, I can't even imagine what it would be like. It has been many, many years since I have had a store bought egg in my fridge. Now, not to say I haven't consumed the purchased, I have, breakfast with you and Farmchiq is an interesting egg event.

If you need eggs, I am just around that corner you know. Don't buy them, and they are yours, pleeeeze, lean on your friends. Anyways, yes, that was a most beautiful gift that was brought for you and yours, what a lovely thought for her to do that thing. We really all do need to step back and totally realize how lucky we are to have those wonderful eggs, that when you crack one to fry up, the yolk is big and round, just like a golf ball and doesn't run out flat. Thank you for making me again, so grateful, about the little gifts that are given me from the gals I love so much. nice post, you do have an incredible way about you, beautiful days to us all, CynthiaM.

8A gift of eggs. Empty Re: A gift of eggs. Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:25 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh lawdy, what a beautiful thought, that must be your most beautiful Wife. Smiling. Picturing you as a young man, this woman with eggs in her hands, knowing full well that one day those hands will prepare eggs for your food table, and bear you children. You have conjured up a very lovely picture for my mind's eye,thank you. Just lovely....

We both wished that we had lived your vision here, Cynthia, but we were both previously married. Just imagine us 17 years ago.

9A gift of eggs. Empty Re: A gift of eggs. Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:30 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum