Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

birthday gift e.reader

+7
ChickenTeam
toybarons
Hillbilly
Hidden River
heda gobbler
authenticfarm
uno
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1birthday gift e.reader Empty birthday gift e.reader Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:03 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

For my birthday I got an ereader.

I am not a gadget person at all. All I do with my 5 year old cellphone is make phone calls. Once a week. It is for emergencies, not endless text communicating. It does not take photos.

Have no rice cooker, no breadmaker, no salad spinner, no food processor, no mix master, no toasteroven, no fancy coffee pot that makes one cup at a time. Most of the local quilters I know have sewing machines that cost more than my truck! Not me, mine is plain Jane over 15 years old and I feel no need to upgrade. In other words, I am not a gadget person AT ALL. But I did think an ereader might be fun. I'm not so sure now.

I did have fun building a little cover thingy for it out of some chocolate box cardboard and flannel. That was fun. What was NOT fun was looking endlessly at ebooks on the internet, trying to decide what I want to read and then PAYING to read them!

I downloaded 3 books, used Hubby's credit card and so far each of the books, SUCK! (in case anyone is wondering, I do have my own credit card, but it is in my purse, and my purse is in the truck. I'd have to put on coat and boots, run out into the cold and dark and dig around in my unlit truck trying to locate my card. It is easier to say to HUbby, can I have your cc, which is in his wallet, in his pocket)

I LOVE books and love to read. I go to the library, grab 10 books, will decide 7 of them are not worth reading, read three, keep them way too long and pay a huge fine. I also do most of my reading in the bathtub. Yes, I have dropped books in the tub and the librarians are not happy with me and I pay for a new book. But it is free to bring home 10 books (until the fine part) and it costs $25 to replace a paperback I drop in the tub. The ereader, if dropped in the tub, will cost a little more to replace. I did try wrapping it in a baggy, however it changes the humidity and the ereader malfunctioned. No ereader in the tub.

I can see where for me and ereader is a fun gadget, but it will never replace the books I often read. Large picture books on ancient art or architecture or houseplans and building techniques. Anything heavily illustrated is not going to work on an ereader. Also, unless I find a way to pick out good books, I will be spending a lot on books I won't read. I know some people read a book, even if it's bad. HUbby does. Suffers through complaining the whole time. Not me. Life is too short to suffer through bad books, I ditch them. This will get costly very quickly. I did download some free ebooks, now I know why they are free. They fall in the bad category.

Please share your ereader experiences and maybe I can become less cumbersome and awkward with my new gadget. It makes me feel quite modern.

2birthday gift e.reader Empty Re: birthday gift e.reader Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:02 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

What brand of e-reader did you get? I got the first version of the Sony e-reader a few years ago. It's big and heavy compared to the new ones out now, and you can *only* read books on it - it doesn't hook up to your wifi, you can't browse the internet, nada ... it doesn't have a backlit screen, either.

I do enjoy it, though it became somewhat unnecessary when I got a Blackberry phone, which is now loaded with both Kindle and Kobo readers ... so I can read books on my cell phone, which I always have with me anyway, and not have to take along a second device for books. It also has a lit screen, so I can read it in the dark!

I do still buy actual books, but only from authors I really love.

There are lots of free ebooks out there, at least on the Kobo and Kindle formats. I follow many of my favourite authors on Twitter, and quite frequently they will offer up a free ebook, or link to another author who is offering a free ebook.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3birthday gift e.reader Empty Re: birthday gift e.reader Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:12 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ha! Husband gave me an e-reader for my birthday too because he could not BELIEVE how many books are beside my bed, around the sofa, etc.

It is nice to be able to enlarge the print and brighten the page for times when I can't find the right glasses.

He gave me a Kobo because that's what Staples carries and Staples is the only store within driving distance (3 hours) with an e-reader and we KNOW about warranties and repair - want something we can take back if necessary. It came with a beautiful purple leather cover, very sophisticated.

I assure my husband I will use it but right now am still working through the books by my bed and yes, I agree, big picture books are difficult to replicate. But I see people reading them on the airplane and bus and it does seem sensible and a better way to travel than carrying the usual 3 or four books. The way I do....

And, critically, I cannot read it in the bath. Or don't want to risk it...

But it is a nice way to re-read books I have loved but do not want to buy again. It was nice to read a couple of the free 100 classics than came on the Kobo for free. And immediately access books I read reviews of but cannot put my hands on or will never remember when next I go to a book store, library or on the amazon website (where I have invested half my life savings I think!).

I think it will work it's way into my life. When I go to the city I am amazed at how big a part of life e-readers are. A friend said "I like that cookbook" to me and downloaded it in her kitchen for 99 cents.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

4birthday gift e.reader Empty Re: birthday gift e.reader Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I got a kindle last year for Christmas, didnt know if I would like it or not. I ordered and read a few books but same thing, not many I enjoyed reading.
But after a summer of working outside I have found a nice comfortable spot in my hubbys old worn out lazyboy and I am enjoying reading many books. Almost too much that I am not getting my other work done.
One thing I like is you can order a free sample, it gives you 2-3 chapters of a book before you actually buy it, so see if it is something that draws your attention in or not. Saves you a lot of money from buying terrible books.
Many of the books I read are not in depth in any way, just a quirky romance or a informative novel, many only costing $0.99
I like it is compact, my purse is not a huge purse but it can fit in there nicely. And when I was in Calgary with my hubby for his surgery it was nice to sit and read a good book.
My kindle does connect to our network and to 3G, and I can even come on this site if I wanted, but I would rather have it just for books at this point.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5birthday gift e.reader Empty Re: birthday gift e.reader Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Every once in awhile Uno, you really surprise me.

Now is one of those times. I saw ypur post, and thought, dear god, I hope someone didnt buy her an E reader! Its probably being used as a new fancy cutting board by now!
Surprised. Very much so. I see you as one of those hard cover kinda gals. Flipping each page with a wonderful little whisp. the bobold letters standing crisply out against the page. At the end of the night befoee you drift off to a sleep induced by thoughts of stories imbedded in yoir imagination, you tuck the cover flap into the last page youve read.

I dont see you as an e reader. Nope. Not you.

6birthday gift e.reader Empty Re: birthday gift e.reader Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:10 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

My thoughts turned to an E-reader during the summer. There are a lot of free books and magazines available online. They are stored on my computer and burned on CDs. While I do enjoy reading electronic books, after awhile sitting at the computer my neck gets stiff and the butt, though wide and well padded, does get soar. When I get up, I creak and that's not so good.

Oringally I thought Kindle as I am an Amazon gal. Then I discovered that the Kindle is not open source. Same with Apple. I refuse to let any company tell me after I pay my $$$ that I have to buy their approved product from their approved sites and other formats will not work. Then I thought why should I just get an E-reader? Low end tablet would be far more useful.

Research began and I drove dear hubby nuts. I just couldn't make a decision. Each tablet had features I liked but reviews that said it sucked cause the features didn't work or the battery life was poor. Finally I decided on the Iconia Tab A-100 by Acer. It's an Android platform which I like cause it is open source. I can root it if I want [still thinking about it.] I have had it for 3 months and I am IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I still love a book. The smell when you crack open a book never grows old. BUT I enjoy being able to load all my PDF books and magazines onto my tablet and cuddle up on my cozy bed and read. Plus I can read in the dark while husband sleeps undisturbed.

Plus, I have discovered the joys of WiFi on my little tablet. Now when I go shopping in town, you will find me parked outside a Tims or Home Depot, anyplace I can find free WiFi. There I will be. One day the husband and I was parked for nearly two hours, windows steamy, watching YouTube videos of Houdans and Polish and Chickens at bird shows from around the world. Best, I can now download MORE ebooks to my tablet. Imagine it takes me 4 hours to download a book to my desktop using dial-up that takes less than 1 minute using WiFi. Technology and its witchery are marvelous!

My only complaint I have with my tablet...I should never have download a Mahjong game to it cause I can't get my husband to put my tablet down. *hee hee*

7birthday gift e.reader Empty Re: birthday gift e.reader Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:31 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry to disappoint you Hillbilly, but I felt I was becoming a bit of a Luddite, needed something techy to stop moss from growing on my north side.

I got the Sony...something-er-other. I had wanted a Kindle paperwhite (?) but since I am a one stop shopper and refuse to go store to store, I was swayed by the sales lady who said the Sony was pretty basic, had very good battery life and was able to download all sorts of formats. Whatever that means.

It is NOT backlit and I need a light to read. But I find reading on the backlit computer tires my eys, so I'm not torn that it's not backlit. Reading in bed beside HUbby does not bother him nor disturb his sleep. That Mariachi band that troops through once a week doesn't disturb his sleep either. It takes me screaming directly into his ear GET THE GUN! GET THE GUN! to disturb his sleep. Me with a light and ereader is a non issue.

While reading through its 190 page user guide, and that's all English, I discovered this gadget is capable of things for which it will never be used. I just want to read books. I STUPIDLY managed to download what I thought would be a supernatural mystery, but turned out to be one of those horrid, drippy romances. If I have to read about one more heaving bossom I will saw through my own throat with the edge of a broken plastic bucket.

Just to make you happy Hillbilly I have a collection of forever favorites and many of them are in hardcover. This little unit, which I've only had a couple of days, makes me feel very 'with it', hope I learn to love it better, I'm sure I will.

Can anyone suggest sites, or what I should type into my computer to get me where I can look at books. For now I just go to The EReader Store, I think it's a Sony site, not sure though.

8birthday gift e.reader Empty Re: birthday gift e.reader Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:47 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'd be looking into those free chapters Hidden talks about, Uno. No more heaving bosoms for you!

Fearing I was a real luddite living out here in the boonies I joined Twitter. Found I wasn't missing much....but as least I know what people are talking about...

9birthday gift e.reader Empty Re: birthday gift e.reader Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:28 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

You can download the classics for free at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - you can download .txt files to your sony reader, and some titles have the .epub files that the sony reader uses.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

10birthday gift e.reader Empty Re: birthday gift e.reader Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:49 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

I discovered the world of e-readers earlier this year, requested one, and my son bought it for me! It is a Kobo, and I love it. I don't use any of its other features, which are few anyways. I still collect real books like crazy, but this enables me to get books for free that I can't afford. My favourite site is openlibrary.org. Lots of books (I tend to look for really old ones) where you can check it out right there before downloading. I have 125 on my e-reader right now; have read about 12 of them Rolling Eyes, with 4-5 more started. I collect books of any kind! One thing I like is that I have a whole library with me when I am out and don't have to decide before I leave what book to take with me. Also, check out the libraries - if you have a membership, I think most of them have e-books you can borrow though your computer right onto your e-reader (or to read on the computer). And just so you know, I am not a technology person either (except kitchen appliances). I so seldom pull out my cell phone that it is usually dead or left at home when I actually decide to make a call! Only my oldest (21) has a cell phone - one of those do-everything ones, but he, hubby, and all other children have been told very clearly that I will NEVER receive or send texts. Call me or e-mail me, those are your only options. Even better, actually have a conversation when home - what a concept!

11birthday gift e.reader Empty Re: birthday gift e.reader Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:40 pm

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My kids gave me a kobo when I was sitting with my dad every nite. When he was awake I would spend my time trying to convince him that his caregivers were not trying to get into bed with him. But when he was asleep it was sooo nice. It came with a lot of free books. However I must say I do miss actually turning the pages. Lol Lou

12birthday gift e.reader Empty Re: birthday gift e.reader Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:36 pm

rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster

My wife has a Kobo, she said she uses [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but to google it because there are a lot of places to go.

13birthday gift e.reader Empty Re: birthday gift e.reader Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:05 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am a bibliophile myself and love the weight and feel of a book in my hand but think an ereader would be so handy to have when those people (nonreaders usually) come along,who always ask you what you are reading if you have one in public and then you have to waste precious reading time telling them all about it and then listen to their criticisms of what you are reading and why they dont like it themselves!
With an ereader, noone could snoop the back cover of my book, it would be more private.
Still havent really got excited about getting one though because yeah like Uno said, cant read it in the tub!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

14birthday gift e.reader Empty Re: birthday gift e.reader Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:33 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

e-readers are apparently essential to the success of the erotic novel "50 Shades of Grey" - no one wanted to be seen reading it!

15birthday gift e.reader Empty Re: birthday gift e.reader Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:44 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Our library has ebooks that you can order online. I think I might invest in a reader someday but while we are so close to the library, books are for me![right]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum