Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hens with chicks

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hens with chicks Empty Hens with chicks Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:01 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm wondering at what age and what outdoor temperature is it safe to assume that a mommy hen will be able to keep her chicks warm and safe.

Our hen has 2 chicks and we brought her in before she got the chicks and we've been taking them outside with her during the day and she does a great job of keeping them with her and looking after them. She's eating more and the chicks are now just over 2wks old so I'd like to finally have a chicken free livingrm!! She doesn't make a mess but she wants out all day long and when she's out the chicks are getting louder and louder! My hubby is scared they'll get cold outside. I have 2 horse stalls turned duck love nests and have had goodluck so far putting my sons 6wk old chicks out there with the ducks. I've moved his now 4mnth old Christmas chicks out to the main coop so I'd like to move MsTufts and her 2 chicks out with my Buff duck trio in my horse stall. There is a heat lamp but we're still having pretty heavy frosts.

At what temps do you allow hens to care for chicks?

2Hens with chicks Empty Re: Hens with chicks Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:14 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I think the biggest thing is does she have a nice dry place that she can sit and they will cuddle under her and warm up. Hens are pretty good at taking care of them. Serjay where are you at? I wouldn't be afraid of letting a hen outside during the warm days right now, but it is really wet around here yet.

3Hens with chicks Empty Re: Hens with chicks Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:48 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We had alot of wind last weeks and amazingly it has really dried up around the property so we've been in sneakers the last 2days Woohoo! The stall the buffs are in is 12x12 and they only have a small tub to play in with in a dry kiddie pool to keep down the wet and muck. So I have a big wood ramp for the ducks to get to the little pool and the kiddie pool catches almost all the flung water so it's quite dry. there is drinking water in a big chick waterer sitting inside a low rubber feeder tub so chicks easily get water and ducks don't make much mess with it and it's up at the stall by the pool so I can easily keep it clean. The rest of the stall is really clean and dry so she should have no trouble finding a place in the shavings or in the hay flakes I throw in. I was keeping the grower feed for the other chicks just up out of the ducks reach on top of the little shelter I made in the back corner but they way they flutter and hop up on their tote now they'll have no problem getting up to the container for starter feed. When they've been out in the yard she keeps them away from the main flock who are also out but they were all over the place and then she finds a quiet place and they snuggle under her or on top of her for a snooze. We're in northern BC so west of Jasper. I think Ms Tufts (hen) is getting restless being the house and is driving me a bit nuts! She has spent the last year sharing the main coop with the
ducks so being with my Buff trio won't be a new experience for her and the ducks couldn't care less about the chickens. Maybe I could use my sml kennel again out there and lock them in with her at night???

4Hens with chicks Empty Re: Hens with chicks Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:11 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That would be a good idea to lock her in at night, as least for awhile. It sounds like the perfect place for babies, she will keep anything away from them if she can. Nothing sweeter than a Mamma hen and her babies.At about six weeks she will have had enough of them and tell them to get lost! By then she has taught them everything they should know.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum