Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

hens with chicks fighting

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1hens with chicks fighting Empty hens with chicks fighting Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:31 am

vic's chicks

I have two buff orpington hens that have only two and three chicks. They hatched exactly the same time in nests side by side. I separated them into two corners of the coop. when I let them out in a week they started fighting. They are three and a half weeks old now and I still have to keep one hen separated. we made a separate run for her but she wants out badly. Will they keep fighting untill they are done with the chicks? If I leave them to it will they seriously hurt each other? They have never tried to harm any of the chicks. Is this normal?

2hens with chicks fighting Empty Re: hens with chicks fighting Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:35 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

They are fighting for dominance, usually they work it out themselves. I would let them be. Put them together and I bet they will have it all straightened out in a short time.

3hens with chicks fighting Empty Re: hens with chicks fighting Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:47 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree, the chicks sound like they are old enough to stay out of the way now. That would be the only concern I would have, with baby chicks sometimes they can get hurt in the scuffle, but 3 weeks old they will be fine.

4hens with chicks fighting Empty Re: hens with chicks fighting Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 pm

vic's chicks

thank you, thank you. I let them all out and by this afternoon all is peaceful out there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum