Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What will broody hens do?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What will broody hens do? Empty What will broody hens do? Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:23 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have an orpington who wants to be a momma so badly. I also have three peafowl eggs ready to go into lock down tomorrow. Would she have a problem with hatching peafowl eggs? She's been trying to set for a good week now. She should love and raise those peachicks for me, shouldn't she? It would be so much easier that doing it myself. . .

2What will broody hens do? Empty Re: What will broody hens do? Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:42 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Could work, it'd best be done at night when she's less likely to notice. It helps that they will be warm when you put them under her. It can be a little risky though, especially if she's a first time mother.

I'd probably go for it though and keep an eye on them at hatch time.

http://countrythyme.ca

3What will broody hens do? Empty Re: What will broody hens do? Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:36 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

My experience with using hens to raise chicks is mixed. It seems even with a good mama, things happen to the chicks - unless you can keep them contained in a safe area.

There are so many dangers for baby chicks that are free ranging with a hen including cats, water puddles to drown in, older chickens that will attack them etc...
I have zero experience with peafowl, but my instincts say only let the hen raise them if you can bear to lose them. If it is very important to you to have these chicks live a long life, its usually best to hatch them and brood them yourself.
I still set eggs under hens, but only eggs that will hatch chicks that I don't consider the most important to me and my breeding program.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum