Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

More on Market sales

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1More on Market sales Empty More on Market sales Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:27 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is a continuation from other related threads. I wanted to delve a bit farther into the CHB sales and other market-style sales that are gaining popularity.
Overall, I am really grateful we have people willing to host these sales. When I arrived in Wetaskiwin, the stall areas were marked out and everything was ready for me to haul in my display items and birds and get ready to sell. There were no end of buyers so the advertising was obviously well-done. I know that behind the scenes, months of preparation had to happen to give me this wonderful opportunity to meet with buyers, sellers and breeders.
There are so many other positive outcomes from these events as well - making connections, getting reacquainted with others in the hobby, forming new friendships. It is so much more than just earning some money to keep buying feed, or finding good homes for those extra chickens we hatched.
From the perspective of the shopping public, there was something there for everyone. Whether they were looking for a new coop, some nice healthy perennials or top-of-the-line incubating equipment, they could find it there.
Now as far as birds and animals… it seems there was something for everyone in that department as well.

It was really wonderful to have some top show breeders taking part in this sale. Having that kind of participation elevates this sale to a higher level. It makes it possible for someone to purchase a solid foundation to start a quality breeding program, plus it helps educate people that there is another side to chicken-keeping. For those interested in entering the exciting world of show-quality poultry, here is your chance to get a start!

But no less important are those farms that bring lots of good healthy chicks/ducklings/poults/rabbits etc. I still think the majority of buyers at these sales are mainly looking to fill their coops with good, dual purpose chickens plus find a few ornamental birds for fun. They are tired of the common commercial varieties, and want to enjoy or experiment with pure breeds. This aspect of the hobby is really what drives the majority of people to keep chickens and support the sales. I do believe that if market sales were to become too ‘upscale’ they would quickly lose interest from the general public.

As I mentioned, I regret not having more time to see all there was to offer. But CHB committee – you are definitely on the right track! Keep up the amazing work you do!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

2More on Market sales Empty Re: More on Market sales Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:23 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds like it was a nicely run sale. I haven't ever been to one to see what it is like.
On average, how many birds does each seller take? Just my curiosity. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to manage a large number of birds, but I would think sellers would have to take quite a few to make it worth their while to go. Again, just my curiosity.

3More on Market sales Empty Re: More on Market sales Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I really like the way you addressed this Kathy.

I am a big fan of the market sales. I try to make it to the main ones when I can and when I have stock for sale.
I like the fact that you can visit with people, help them to make decisions, and just making people more aware of the quality of stock available to them.
We had a lot of first time chicken people at our booth this weekend, a few ready to buy but many just gathering information on what they need to do and what breeds might work for them.

Coopslave there are many different amounts of birds people bring. I would say on average 50 birds. I had to travel and spend the night in a hotel to make it to this sale, so I had to watch what I took and also it was the final sale of the season for me so I also wanted to take any odds and ends I had. I have decided to clear out a couple of my breeds so made sure I took what I had left in those from chicks to pullets. Roosters I didnt take a lot of them, find there is not much interest in pairs unless they are of supreme quality and I don't have that in a lot of my breeds yet, so took pullets as laying hens, and left the roosters home to eat when they finish out.

I really like the variety at this sale, there was a bit of everything there as Kathy explained and I think that drew out the crowds. I know I was busy pretty much all day. Did get one brief walk around before my hubby was calling saying someone needed me at the booth...

But no less important are those farms that bring lots of good healthy chicks/ducklings/poults/rabbits etc. I still think the majority of buyers at these sales are mainly looking to fill their coops with good, dual purpose chickens plus find a few ornamental birds for fun. They are tired of the common commercial varieties, and want to enjoy or experiment with pure breeds. This aspect of the hobby is really what drives the majority of people to keep chickens and support the sales. I do believe that if market sales were to become too ‘upscale’ they would quickly lose interest from the general public.

I completely agree with this statement as well. I read on another post about the sale being not as much of a "breeders sale" as they had hoped. I think there was enough of everything for what everyone wanted. I only had 3 people come to my booth wanting "show birds" so of the other 100 people that came by I think we need to keep some "laying type" birds there as well. I have said before I never sell any birds as show stock. I would rather people take a look at all the breeds that were available there, gather information, and then make their decisions. I did like that there was some show stock there, some knowledgable poultry judges as well, so people could get the proper information (if they asked) and go from there. I know I sent one person over to Heather and Clayton's booth to talk about the silkies there, but another was more than happy to buy our pet pair for their flock as well.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4More on Market sales Empty Re: More on Market sales Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Coopslave, I think the numbers varied hugely from seller to seller. Some people must have needed large stock trailers to transport all their birds. I brought only about 30 in total, and half of them were already spoken for with people just picking them up at the sale.
I ended up bringin home just 3 roosters that were feeling unwanted. But not to worry...extra roosters never go to waste at our place. Sell the best and eat the rest!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

5More on Market sales Empty Re: More on Market sales Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

KathyS wrote
`` I do believe that if market sales were to become too ‘upscale’ they would quickly lose interest from the general public.``

No worries there as long as I am in charge of the sales BWAAAHAHAAHAAA!

More show breeders at the sale.... 4 years ago Liz started with a few people in her parking lot. just 2 years ago CHB started. We have gone, in that short time, from mostly crossbreds and a few hatchery birds with NO exhibition quality breeders, to many people with exhibition, or close to exhibition birds and a growing hand full of breeders attending! We are getting there, but nothing is overnight.

The education aspect of our sales is huge and growing too. People are learning what to look for in thier chicks,. As people klearn what is out there they are starting to look for specific breeds also. Once they have thier `^working breeds^or production^breeds rolling, the will inevitabley start to play with the more ornamental and rare stuff, much like we all did!

6More on Market sales Empty Re: More on Market sales Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Quite a few people got together with just 5 or 10 birds each. I brought 3 roos and 2 gosslings...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum