Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Empty Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Tue May 29, 2012 7:16 am

Moose and I are finishing up the last and final breeding pen before we start creating a tractor or 2 a month for the next couple months. We need one for the roo's, and the guinea, and the bantys and... well they're good to have anyway. The birds would be able to roam a bit while I was at work and I wouldn't have to worry so much.

Anyway. I got to wondering if it was possible/feasible to 'winterize' a chicken tractor. Google brought me to a bunch of pages and blogs of people winterizing in the frigid north that is North Carolina Rolling Eyes, the terribly cold state of Florida Shocked, and a couple from Maine. The approach for most in the southern US was simple: Tarp it. Well that's fine and dandy -- I've lived there and I'm here to tell you if you're able to sit on your porch Christmas day in shorts and a no-sleeve shirt, "it don't get cold."

One of the blogs from Maine, the woman used Green House plastic and covered the wire mesh part of the tractor, and she had thin foam insulation that she slid into the inside of the roost/nesting areas, with 3-5 birds a tractor, depending on the size. She said even when the weather got down to 0°F (so -18°C ish), the green house plastic helped keep the water from freezing up.

As anyone who has lived in/passed through/seen pictures/heard stories of the prairies in the winter knows, that's a hot day in the dead of winter. In fact, it's probably sunny and no wind. So the question I have, really, is would that be effective here? I know the important things are to keep the birds dry, out of the wind, away from drafts, fed with high-energy food and make sure they have access to fresh, unfrozen water. 3-5 birds a tractor, with a smaller but livable roosting area/nesting box would generate a fair amount of heat, but would it be enough to keep them comfortable in a 'winterized' tractor. My coop is un-heated and uninsulated, but not drafty and stays dry now that we've got the roof patched up; is there too much of a difference between that, where there's less of a chicken to floor/roost/nesting space ratio versus a tractor with a higher chicken to floor/roost/nesting space ratio?

I'm interested to hear your opinions/experiences/recommendations with this. I know my chickens sure loved the snow and they would choose when to go in and out, and I'd make sure to shut them in before the sun went down so their feet could warm up and dry beneath their down before it froze-froze.

Thanks Ladies and Gents.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you had a garage you could slide the tractor into that for the winter. Instant winterization.

Fowler wrote:If you had a garage you could slide the tractor into that for the winter. Instant winterization.

That's a good idea. Would have to run lights out there... hmmm. And that wouldn't prevent me from rolling them out on warmer days either.

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I would be very worried about ventilation in a setup like that. I can see it getting way too damp and causing frostbite and respiratory issues.

http://countrythyme.ca

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't see how it would be worse than a regular chicken coop. scratch

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think you would want a winter hardy bird in any case...

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

7Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Empty Re: Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Tue May 29, 2012 10:10 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Fowler wrote:I don't see how it would be worse than a regular chicken coop. scratch

Smaller space = increased concentration of moisture and ammonia from feces.
Greenhouse poly and insulation = decreased evaporative loss from the coop of moisture and ammonia.

8Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Empty Re: Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Tue May 29, 2012 10:58 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:07 am; edited 2 times in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

9Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Empty Re: Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Tue May 29, 2012 11:32 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Country Thyme Farm wrote:
Fowler wrote:I don't see how it would be worse than a regular chicken coop. scratch

Greenhouse poly and insulation = decreased evaporative loss from the coop of moisture and ammonia.

Oh I see. I was talking about just sliding the tractor into a larger building. The tractor, being well ventilated, would have the whole building for air exchange. But you're right, a small pen sealed up against the weather would have problems.

10Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Empty Re: Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Tue May 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Just a quick note while I’m at work:

The plans I saw from the woman in Maine included ventilation in the peak of the a-frame that was boxed so chickens couldn’t get in. This would help with airflow and humidity dispersal. I should have mentioned that and I apologize.

Concerning the floor space-chicken ratio, what I meant was that I have a large coop with probably 1/8th if not 1/12th the amount of chickens that could be comfortably, cleanly and humanely housed based in the 2 square foot per bird recommendation. I brought this up because my question was, in a smaller space with an applicable amount of birds, (probably 1 bird to every 3-4ft of ground space, wouldn’t they generate more heat and stay warmer than those in the coop?

Sorry for being so vague on that, hope that helps. I’ll write more later (after work).

11Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Empty Re: Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Tue May 29, 2012 2:53 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

12Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Empty Re: Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Tue May 29, 2012 3:22 pm

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

yes out west it might get down to -45 but i would take that any day over -30 out here! That and i would love to have your dry snow too! lol

I would think a Winterized Tractor would be douable. just make sure your tractor is not to small. If you a peak design made out of wood and two slots init it would work just good. If it was a smaller tractor i would think two of those would be needed. You could apply chipboard or plywood to the sides and drill several small wholes.

13Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Empty Re: Winterized Chicken Tractor - Possible? Tue May 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Fowler wrote:
Country Thyme Farm wrote:

Oh I see. I was talking about just sliding the tractor into a larger building. The tractor, being well ventilated, would have the whole building for air exchange. But you're right, a small pen sealed up against the weather would have problems.

That would certainly solve that problem!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum