Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is important to your tractor?

+4
Schipperkesue
blackdove
Hidden River
Blue Hill Farm
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What is important to your tractor? Empty What is important to your tractor? Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:38 am

Last edited by reneggaide on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

2What is important to your tractor? Empty Re: What is important to your tractor? Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:05 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Easy accessibility is a definite must! I hate, HATE having to wedge myself into my doghouse coop to feed/water Lily and her chicks. And cleaning it out is pure ****.

3What is important to your tractor? Empty Re: What is important to your tractor? Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:28 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would say ease of moving, we have a monster tractor about the size you described and it is made out of metal tubing. It is heavy and sometimes difficult to manuver.
Also able to get into it in different areas to catch birds, and feed/water them.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4What is important to your tractor? Empty Re: What is important to your tractor? Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:54 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh good topic. We are still trying to perfect the chicken tractor that works the best for us. We have 2 different styles and each has pros and cons. Here's a pic of one we made for my bantam cochins. There's a door in the back to collect eggs and makes cleaning easier. The problem though the space inside is small. We have a small roost inside and its only good for 4 birds. I also decided to hang their feeder under the house part so it could be out of the rain (when I put it inside the house there just wasn't enough room and they made a mess of it). I wish there was a way to get to the feeder from the back now. It isn't too small to climb inside but that sure would have made feeding easier. All things considered it turned out great for a first attempt. I like the big door in the front and that its big enough for me to get inside and catch birds if I have to. It is a bit heavy but not impossible for me to move by myself.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I will have to take a pic of our other tractor. It is a different style and what I use for my young birds growing that dont need nest boxes yet.

5What is important to your tractor? Empty Re: What is important to your tractor? Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

As well as ease of cleaning/moving/access, top of my list is a dry shelter that stays dry no matter where the wind blows from, and that the chickens will actually use!

6What is important to your tractor? Empty Re: What is important to your tractor? Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:36 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:As well as ease of cleaning/moving/access, top of my list is a dry shelter that stays dry no matter where the wind blows from, and that the chickens will actually use!

ah now that is the rub isn't it Sue? Out here the rain usually comes sideways so it would almost make more sense to have sides than a real roof, ha ha!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

7What is important to your tractor? Empty Re: What is important to your tractor? Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:43 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

mirycreek wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:As well as ease of cleaning/moving/access, top of my list is a dry shelter that stays dry no matter where the wind blows from, and that the chickens will actually use!

ah now that is the rub isn't it Sue? Out here the rain usually comes sideways so it would almost make more sense to have sides than a real roof, ha ha!

You bet!

Acrtually the best solution seemed to be a triangular prism shape in which the top half was shelter with a door in the bottom and a little ramp.

Sue

8What is important to your tractor? Empty Re: What is important to your tractor? Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:17 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Raised house is a big one for me. So it doesn't kill the grass if let in one place too long. Plus gives them a shaded spot in the run. A pop door for chickens to use if they get to range the yard. I have one tractor that has a door that they can get out of but can't get back in augh. Plus easy of catching.

9What is important to your tractor? Empty Re: What is important to your tractor? Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:05 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have one (sort of) tractor that is used in the summer for mature birds, not just growing out.

Ease of collecting eggs! I didn't account for it and must stretch to get them. Learn from my mistake! Save yourself!

10What is important to your tractor? Empty Re: What is important to your tractor? Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:17 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That is starts!! Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum