Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The scrap tractor

+4
Jonny Anvil
Schipperkesue
coopslave
authenticfarm
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The scrap tractor Empty The scrap tractor Wed May 15, 2013 1:07 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I built a chicken tractor/small coop last week/this weekend using scrap lumber and stuff we had lying around the farm.

I did purchase the hardware (5 hinges, 5 clasps and 5 clips) and the hardware cloth (20'), but everything else was pulled out of old buildings and/or leftover from past projects, including the screws, pressure treated plywood and the tin.

Most of the lumber was a little warped/twisted/funky so "square" was relative on this project. It came out pretty good, I think. I would just have to add a roost before I put chickens in it.

The building size is 24x30 (exterior dimensions before PT ply was added) and the run is roughly 30" x 8' long. Interior of the nestbox is 12x12. I think it will be good for a broody, a pair of regular-sized chickens or maybe a trio of bantams. Or, if you ask my oldest kid, as many cats as you can catch and cram in there.

It's a little heavy to pull around the yard on my own, but luckily, we have equipment that does that for me.

I made a sliding bar that goes across the top of the pop door from one side of the run to the other, so the building can be locked down and made quite predator-proof. I suspect a determined bear couldn't be stopped, but really, what building would stop a determined bear?

The scrap tractor 2013-016

The scrap tractor 2013-017

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

2The scrap tractor Empty Re: The scrap tractor Wed May 15, 2013 1:20 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice!

3The scrap tractor Empty Re: The scrap tractor Wed May 15, 2013 1:46 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:
I suspect a determined bear couldn't be stopped, but really, what building would stop a determined bear?

I LOVE using my repurposed lumber from around the farm! But one question... Have you DETERMINED if there are bears around?

4The scrap tractor Empty Re: The scrap tractor Wed May 15, 2013 2:32 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes. The presence of bears has been determined.

5The scrap tractor Empty Re: The scrap tractor Wed May 15, 2013 2:45 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad our bears are not that determined.

Just an aside, you can use screws and big washers to fasten a piece of leather or rubber where you might normally use a hinge. Both make excellent hinges in a pinch.

6The scrap tractor Empty Re: The scrap tractor Wed May 15, 2013 2:48 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Well Done!!!!

cheers

7The scrap tractor Empty Re: The scrap tractor Wed May 15, 2013 7:14 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

You are quite the wood worker!!! Did you get that bosch compound miter saw. Yeah you know the one I'm talking about!!! Nice work authenticfarm!!! cheers

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

8The scrap tractor Empty Re: The scrap tractor Wed May 15, 2013 7:17 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

bcboy wrote:You are quite the wood worker!!! Did you get that bosch compound miter saw. Yeah you know the one I'm talking about!!! Nice work authenticfarm!!! cheers

You know it!!! Got the stand, too. I haven't busted it out of the box yet, but I will soon ... that baby is going to get a work out with the big coop project!

9The scrap tractor Empty Re: The scrap tractor Thu May 16, 2013 8:07 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looks awesome! Smile

10The scrap tractor Empty Re: The scrap tractor Tue May 21, 2013 3:55 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey, bcboy ... I busted out the new mitre saw yesterday. It was a transcendent experience. The stand totally takes it to a whole other level! I can cut 16' lumber without assistance, and without wrestling with the wood. Awesome, awesome tool! You gotta get one.

11The scrap tractor Empty Re: The scrap tractor Tue May 21, 2013 4:24 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Having been the victim of determined bears, to answer the question, what building will stop a determined bear, the answer is :NONE.

I have gone to do chicken chores only to find a pile of lumber where a building used to be. Bears are a force that you cannot imagine. Just make sure you do not have extra feed laying around as an attractant. We feed what the birds will eat and NEVER leave scraps in their yard overnight.

Under normal circumstances bears are attracted to the chicken food, not the chickens. THey LOVE corn, keep your scratch under lock and key (we keep ours in the house, keep the lay pellets in the house too). But once a bear discovers it can eat your chickens, it will be back.

12The scrap tractor Empty Re: The scrap tractor Tue May 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thats a great coop, Good job Authentic

13The scrap tractor Empty Re: The scrap tractor Tue May 21, 2013 4:42 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Having been the victim of determined bears, to answer the question, what building will stop a determined bear, the answer is :NONE.

I have gone to do chicken chores only to find a pile of lumber where a building used to be. Bears are a force that you cannot imagine. Just make sure you do not have extra feed laying around as an attractant. We feed what the birds will eat and NEVER leave scraps in their yard overnight.

Under normal circumstances bears are attracted to the chicken food, not the chickens. THey LOVE corn, keep your scratch under lock and key (we keep ours in the house, keep the lay pellets in the house too). But once a bear discovers it can eat your chickens, it will be back.

That's good advice for many predators, I think.

14The scrap tractor Empty Re: The scrap tractor Tue May 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wait! Your scrap tractor is missing one thing! A NAME!

I think you need to get out there with a bucket of paint, a brush and a bottle of champagne. Write her name in script on the side and open the bottle in her name!

I would like to suggest.....Scraptor! I hereby christen thee...Scraptor!

15The scrap tractor Empty Re: The scrap tractor Tue May 21, 2013 5:45 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Scraptor it is!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum