Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ross the Coop Cat

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ross the Coop Cat Empty Ross the Coop Cat Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:42 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Last winter a stray cat wandered in.
Now, we usually have no use for strays, and don't allow them to take up residence. But Ross is different.
For one thing, he is very affectionate and cuddly. He was obviously someone's pet...he just loves attention to the point where he is a pest at times! For another thing he is neutered, which is a good thing. but I'm pretty sure he's been homeless for a while. His ears are both gone, frozen off. And his coat was matted and he seemed neglected.

Anyway, we first discovered Ross hanging out in the hen house. It was one of those very mild days in December, and the little door was open in the coop for the chickens to go out to get some fresh air. The poor girls were squawking and flapping and making a ruckuss, so I went out to investigate expecting the worst. And there he was, right at home sitting on a bale, totally oblivious to all the comotion. I scooted him out and closed the door to keep him out. But every day as soon as he got an opportunity, back he would go. The hens started getting used to him and began to ignore the fact that there is a resident cat in their house. He spends every night in there. The mice had been getting to be a problem, but Ross has really knocked down the mouse population, so I guess he earns his accomodations.

Ross has now become part of the farm-family of animals. The kids love him, so I guess he is welcome to stay on as the coop cat until the mood strikes and he wanders off again.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

2Ross the Coop Cat Empty Re: Ross the Coop Cat Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:50 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very cute.
Our cat is very good with the chickens too. He is a bit of a bird hunter, but never touches the baby chicks (I would not trust him unsupervised with them though!). We don't have any mice in our coop either because Dash like the chooks.
Glad a great coop cat found you. Very Happy

3Ross the Coop Cat Empty Re: Ross the Coop Cat Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:42 am

I have 2 outside cats and one of them spends a lot of time in the coop, but the mice population is still out of hand. I would be happy if someone would take up fulltime residence in there.

Your Ross looks like he's got Maine Coon blood. My Potsy is a Maine Coon and I know what you mean about him being so affectionate. He would have loved to be a house/lap cat but when he came to me all those years ago I was married to an allergic. Well, I got rid of that little problem but now Potsy is too used to living outdoors.

I fix and vaccinated both my cats and they have blankets and food and water all year, and a heat lamp when it's really bitter. I have no doubt they earn their keep in return.

4Ross the Coop Cat Empty Re: Ross the Coop Cat Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:06 am

I love to hear these stories. Perhaps he will retire there, as he seems to have earned himself a place with the girls.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum