Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Snow Days of Spring...

+8
coopslave
Hidden River
steve
Schipperkesue
honeybrook
chickeesmom
mirycreek
Jonny Anvil
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Snow Days of Spring... Empty Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:36 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Woke up to white wonderland of digging and playing Find the chicken tractor this Morning... Shocked Sure I am not the only one. Mad Poor Chickens.... Somewhere in that snowfall there are three tractors.. and I am certain many annoyed and ticked off Orpingtons.

But this is Alberta... I am going to wait 5 mins cause I don't like the weather bounce

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:38 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

wow thats crappy! Surprised Mad
But beautiful in your photo!!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:41 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Same here, but the skys are clearing, and it's a no school day. Grandkids will all be happy.

4Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:44 am

honeybrook

honeybrook

i hope you keep that weather Very Happy i was planing a trip to edmonton today to go to the honey coop but i guess it will have to wait!

http://www.honeybrooklowlines.com

5Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:46 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Jonny, we have an inch at home- but at school- over half a foot. No kids today. Wimps!

6Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:06 am

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Very Happy ya, i woke up to that to this morning! and we started calving 2 days go too! had to put one baby in the calve warmer this morning!

7Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:06 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We have about 10 inches of snow here, I scattered a bunch of seed out the windows for the wild birds....

8Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:15 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

It sure feels like a storm is a brewing here. I got everyone fed up and watered just in case we get a dump like last time and takes me a day to dig in...
Calling for 10-15 cm Friday so we will see.
Hopefully the roads are clear by this afternoon my brother is heading home for the weekend. cheers

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

9Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:24 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Well all the digging i can do is done, the tractors were buried but surprisingly there was little snow inside, most of it stuck to the wire and built up, I just scooped it up and it was good to go.

I have the tractors on Rotation, each day a different roo and his gals are let out to roam about and forage. Well today was Gandalf's turn. I opened up the tractor and he went running out. I bent down to collect an egg and bam he pushed his way back in... silly chicken. the hens just looked at the snow and turned away....lol

Oh and I guess this is my fault all this snow... Luke was less then impressed. I opened their pen to feed and collect eggs and he just stood there with this evil MAD look, and I could just see in his attitude that he was thinking... ." This is YOUR fault"

LOL

Happy Snow day everyone!

10Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:27 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, I am going to be a nasty, bitter, b*tch and say that I am so glad you all are getting some SNOW! I have had to listen all winter about how you all have it so mild and we were buried under 3 feet of snow. The sun I see out the window and your misfortune in the prairies has made me smile today! Laughing

Last edited by coopslave on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

11Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:29 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh coop you are a nasty one today arent you. lol!

The nice thing about snow this time of year is it never stays long. Although these fluctuations I could do without, plus 20 yesterday and a high of plus 1 tomorrow...

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

12Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:32 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hey Coop,

Sure we have a ton of snow, but it's great for the fields and it's not brutally cold. I'm not complaining this time around. I kind of like it, things look really cool this morning.

Hey Joan... Heads up! Wham! Snow ball! What a Face

13Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:36 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey Jonny, don't worry, we still have enough snow here to have a wicked snow ball fight. Don't start something you don't wonna finish!! Laughing

We haven't had any new snow for 4 days, the sun has been out a bit, the wind has been blowing and the snow is slowly disappearing and the mud is drying up.

I was out there last weekend and you guys really do need the moisture. Like you say it will not stay long this time of year and at least it is not -30! Very Happy

14Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:54 am

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hey Jonny
Snow day for the kids here me well not so, just more work.
My fight net made out of chicken wire over the turkey pen was hanging low with snow on it. I went in and tried to knock most of snow down . I will have to do some repairing when the snow is off the net.
But OMG the amout of snow is a wow here. my chicken tractors are well covered real good.
Oh well guess I should go out and make a snow man.
I went out early to make sure all the new baby goats were inside a shelter, you know the thought of finding white baby goats in you know white snow was just to nasty a thought this morning, but thankfully all were in the shelter with their moms.
Like you said wait 5 mins and the weather will change..............

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

15Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:13 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Well I waited a generous 5 mins and weather did change, It started snowing bigger flakes!

I wonder if my turkeys wanna have a snowball fight.. None of our neighbours are home so guess I'll pick on the turkeys!

kiddin

16Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:15 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

I, too, had a lot of shoveling to do to get to all my chicken tractors and coop. Glad the boys could help. I think the chickens were glad to see the snow fall off the wire and allow some daylight in. The speckled sussexes had no problem hopping through the snow, right beside the path I had made! My children are not so lucky. As homeschoolers they do not get a snow day. And a snowball fight I am sure is in the works for this afternoon. Don't even have to build a fort, just dig a hole in the snow. And of all the days for the robins to come through...silly birds.

17Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Here is another photo from this morning's snowfall. I get such a kick out of nature!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

18Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:22 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

It sure melted fast, when I drove threw this afternoon it was almost all gone.

I did hit snow between Swift Current and Maple Creek then again in the mountains. I do have to say, it's much warmer in Sask than in BC!

19Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:58 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Prairie Chick wrote:It sure melted fast, when I drove threw this afternoon it was almost all gone.

I did hit snow between Swift Current and Maple Creek then again in the mountains. I do have to say, it's much warmer in Sask than in BC!

I think half of what fell yesterday was melted by 9pm or so

Good Ol Alberta!

20Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:50 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

21Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:55 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

HigginsRAT wrote:Heel low:

Jonny Anvil wrote:Good Ol Alberta!

Albertan vehicle; has snow boots, toque and shovel as part of the 1st aid emerg kit! Neutral

Doggone & Chicken UP!!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta
- Miss yah Makes; December 7, 1995 – February 4, 2011 ^~~^

WF: DUCKS: Calls (24 varieties), East Indies, Mandarins, Crested Ducks, Australian Spotted, Hookbills, & Appleyards.
GEESE: Buff & Buff Pied American.
SWANS: Australian Black.
LF: BANTAM Brahmas, Wyandottes, Booteds, & Chanteclers & STANDARD Chanteclers (Partridge, Buff, Orange Clay, & White).
Heritage TURKEYS (Jersey Buff, Wishard Bronze, Narragansett, Slate, Red Bronze, Rusty Black, Dilute Rusty Black, Red Blue Bronze, Lilac, & Sweetgrass).
PHEASANTS: Red Golden & Silver.
Registered: Australian Cattle Dogs, Jacob Sheep, Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats, & Llamas. Pond Fish.

Way to true!!!

22Snow Days of Spring... Empty Re: Snow Days of Spring... Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:14 am

Doesn't that look familiar. What a shoot! My driveway is just mud, the car sinks into it and it'sw all covered in snow so it's hard to figure out where the puddles and ruts are underneath. It's blowing, wet... very BC winter storm that moved in. Next week, should be back up to 6+

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum