Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pointless spring cleaning essay

+3
chickeesmom
Schipperkesue
uno
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Pointless spring cleaning essay Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:43 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Tonight I was tackling a few of the tasks that might fall under the heading of Spring cleaning. These minor undertakings are the thin edge of the wedge with weeks worth to follow. BUt what struck me was some of the successes and pitfalls that I have come upon and I hope to share them here and thus illuminate those who follow in my footsteps.

Pictures. We have pine walls. Over the years the pine has gone from white to honey and continues to darken, except where you hang a picture. Then when you remove the picture later, (gasp), there is that stark, square white tan line on the wall, like what's under your bikini. It's the home decorator's equivalent of a farmer's tan. What to do about this?

Since I move pictures now and then I was especially aware of the white tan line potential. My cure? All those left over squishy ear plugs that come home in Hubbie's pockets (and get washed). I affixed several of these squishy ear plugs to the back of each picture. THey keep the picture propped ever so slightly away from the wall. This allows a small amount of natural light to seep behind the picture and thus avoid that sharp line of contrast when the picture is removed. The pine is still lighter, but it fades gradually to light, doesn't have this abrupt and glaring line. I know, brilliant!

I also had a wreath in my livingroom that needed a wash as it had become gooey with cobwebs and dust. Some people use canned air to blast off the goo and dust. BUt this called for serious cleaning. To complicate things this wreath is actually 30 feet of coiled barbed wire, rusted and nasty. How do you set a barbed wire wreath in your bathtub without it scratching the surface of your tub? Answer: you don't set it in the tub and hope it doesn't gouge the acrylic. You set a laundry basket in the tub and set the wreath in the laundry basket! Bingo! Now you spray it with toilet bowl cleaner, hose it off and let it drip dry. Good as the days it was tossed in the bush 70 years ago! Plastic laundry baskets are good for barbed wire wreaths and emergency chicken shelters. Brilliant!

Not so brilliant is the Swiffer Duster. I keep buying these things and I want to like them. I use them even though I don't think my house is cut out for them. Some people have antiques, then some of us have old junk we found in someone's barn. These rough, rugged home built items were obviously built before sandpaper had been invented because every surface that you run a Swiffer snags tiny little fibres. Soon your barn built antique is blue and fuzzy. I noted that the band sawn cedar window trim also catches and snags Swiffer hairs to beat the band. So I think Swiffers are for people who dust highly lacquered, plastic or glass surfaces. But old barn wood? Forget it. Me and Swiffer, not so brilliant.

And this, Ladies and Gentlemen, has been a pointless essay on spring cleaning. Share your hits, misses and other related information.

2Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dear Uno,I believe your title's adjective is misused. I believe the word 'pointless' should describe the spring cleaning, not the essay.

3Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:48 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

OH GAWD I thought you were going to use Hubbys used ear plugs to stain the walls back to the colour of darkened honey! Shocked Laughing

4Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:08 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

chickeesmom wrote:OH GAWD I thought you were going to use Hubbys used ear plugs to stain the walls back to the colour of darkened honey! Shocked Laughing

Oh man, I almost fell off my butt with that inside chuckle!! Picture that Shocked Shocked . I know what can come out of a man's ear, smiling.

I think this such a worthy post, I don't like the swiffer, back in our old life, had one and there was so much dust that one swipe and the rag was done. Yich. Can't wait to hear more answers, have that beautiful day, CynthiaM.

5Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:52 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dear ShipShapeSue, I have been known to abuse and misuse the odd adjective. I am sorry if you find my title offensive. But I stand firm that no matter how you read it, both spring cleaning and that essay are both pretty pointless.

Chickeeesmom Euwww! Mega gross! Yeah, staining the wall with earwax and axle grease. Don't ask me how Hubby get's grease in his ears, but he does. We also have a game called Smell My Hair. I have to smell and am then challenged to identify what petroleum byproduct is in Hubby's hair and decide what soap or degreaser might be most effective in removing it. This game is easy when there is smoke rising off Hubby's head when he asks me to smell his hair. This one is always, 'you had your head too far in the furnace door when you lit the newspaper.' Missing eyebrows are also a dead give away for that!

Cynthia, it seems we have a shortage of spring cleaners willing to toss in their two bits. Just Sue with her nit-picky grammatical criticisms. Booo.

6Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:07 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Darling Uno, it seems you have misread my post as I have misread your title. My comments were meant as compliments to your essay which actually lacked pointlessness in my eyes since you were writing and not cleaning you were doing something pointful. Cleaning is always pointless. Writing is well pointed in my books!

7Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:42 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue, I stand corrected and thank you very much for the compliment. I try very hard to be pointed. Pointful. Pointy. To pontificate. Ponder. Ponderosa. Pound. Pound cake...oooh, I'm hungry now.

8Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Good! So we'll see you at breakfast. 9:00. Laughing

9Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:36 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh man, you guys crack me up, good to laugh first thing in the morning. Breaky? Anyone mention breaky? I was wondering yesterday, as I was doing a spring clean essay around my teeny tiny home, what I could use for cleaning the border around the windows. Our teeny tiny trailer has black moulding around the windows that is kind of rubbery and really hard to get dust off that cause it is kind of almost made out of a stickyish material, no clue. Just used soap and water and it did an OK job. My teeny tiny home takes longer to do a good cleaning in than my old 3,000 foot house, back in our old life. Picture that 1/10 the room and it takes me longer Shocked , that blows my mind! Ya, I know, you probably think I am BSing, but I'm not. I spent like 6 hours cleaning up our home, from tip top to bottom bottom. Mind you that included doing a whack of laundry too. How can 2 people make so many clothes that need to be washed, figure that one out! I can't stand the scale that is up here in the water, the coast had soft water and I hate how I have to put CLR on a cloth and then wash the scale from the sides of the toilet bowl!! Anyone got a good way to clean that, liquid doesn't stick onto a brush, so I use a cloth, ich....did I mention I don't like cleaning? I would rather be outside cleaning chicken coops than cleaning my house. But do love cleanliness, so must clean house. Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

10Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:23 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

My wife just discovered her new favourite.

Mix Dawn dish detergent half and half with white vinegar. I guess you're supposed to warm the vinegar in the microwave to help it mix properly. Put in a spray bottle and, voila, the best cleaner ever.

She's been using in in the bathroom and kitchen and everything sparkles as if it were brand new. The water barely sticks to the walls in the shower. I don't tend to notice these things but this stuff is amazing!

11Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:03 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

that sounds interesting Fowler! Thanks for the tip, for YOU to notice must be pretty good ha ha! Razz

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

12Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:15 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

mirycreek wrote:that sounds interesting Fowler! Thanks for the tip, for YOU to notice must be pretty good ha ha! Razz

Exactly! Being a male, I only notice dirt when it gets thick enough to support agriculture.

13Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:47 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler, you brought a cleaning favorite of mine to mind.

I love Watkins Degreaser! Hubby uses it on his hands, I spot clean grease and oil out of clothing prior to laundry, sometimes squirt a shot in the washer if the clothes are particularly nasty.

But my bathtubs are acrylic and do not appreciate Comet or Ajax, which is too bad since I do like to scour something if I can. But I mix up some of the Watkin's Degreaser with any sort of cleaner (Lysol, Pinesol, Mr. Clean) and some water in a spray bottle and spary this on bathtub and shower scum. Let it sit a minute or so and wipe clean. That degreaser cuts through soap scum and motor oil (which Hubby leaves behind everywhere) like a hot knife through butter. It's been my bathroom cleaner of choice for years.

14Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:12 pm

I try and stay away from any chemicals (I don't like Pinesol, etc) because of my dogs, and instead use white vinegar and water to clean around my place. With so many dogs though it does get out of hand way too fast (as Cindi and Uno can attest, but thankfully, don't. Thank you Friends).

Would it be out of line to ask people to list their natural cleaning solutions here Uno? Or would you rather I start a new thread?

15Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:09 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dearest Dog Deluged FarmChiq:

I think your topic is worthy of its own post. I find this very intersting and not enough people will find it buried at the bottom of this thread. Start a new one.

I might note that I also do not like Pinesol since the smell of it brings back very unpleasant outhouse memories for me. But a word about the Watkins Degreaser...they took it off the market for a while and I was scandalized, what would I do without my fave cleaning product? They re-introduced it and the story I was told was that they reformulated it to make it more 'natural'. I cannot confirm or deny this, but perhaps it would fall in the range of not too wildly chemical that it could be useful to you.

I know vinegar is natural, but have never been too impressed with its cleaning abilities on its own. I have no idea how good a surfactant it is, but believe that soap, in some form or another, must be present in all my cleaning products. I will also admit to being in love with bleach. Die, germs, die!

16Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:35 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use a product that is not considered a an inital attck cleaner on certain stubborn substances. A follow up cleaner is necessary to complete the cleaning process. It is a handy cleaner for hubby's oil stained hands. We pulled a lot of '70's type fabric wrapped house wire from behind our bath tub which left a lot of black marks which would not come off the floor and other surfaces. When we lived in Southern Alberta the pods from certain trees left marks on the floor, stuck to animal paws, and shoes not to mention bare feet of children running across the lawn. It is a greater cleaner for roofing tar, pitch, and tar. Comes in an aerosol can or in liquid form-WD 40.

17Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:47 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wash my floors with water, bleach and a little dab of Lavander pine sol. DON"T KILL ME! The Lav Pine Sol is really strong and a tiny dab both cuts the grease and removes the bleach smell which I abhor.

18Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:02 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

ROsewood, I LOVE my WD-40, I get a mini-can in my stocking each Christmas. It's my go to for sticky things, squeaky things and stews that are missing that little something in the flavour department.

SUe, I am surprised that Lavendar Pinesol covers the smell of bleach! I guess it depends how much bleach you are using to begin with. I find I am very scent oriented when it comes to buying cleaning products. I have been duped though. Some very nicely scented products don't work worth squat as cleaners. I'd like to say I've learned to read ingredient lists, but I can't see that little print anymore so to heck with reading. Even though I use Mr. Clean as a cleaning soap, I feel it is one of the more uselss cleaners, but performs okay when beefed up with the Watkin's Degreaser. But I like the way it smells.

19Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:36 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I watched one of those "Strange Addictions" shows where the lady was addicted to the smell of Pine Sol. She took it with her everywhere to sniff when the desire took her.

Was that you, Uno?

20Pointless spring cleaning essay Empty Re: Pointless spring cleaning essay Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:48 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

No, no! Pinesol reminds me of outhouses and is associated with some negative childhood memories. It is not my scent of choice.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum