Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

cleaning a chick all over

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1cleaning a chick all over Empty cleaning a chick all over Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:34 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've just had a new hatch of chicks and it's my first. For the most part, I'm happy in that I got 24 chicks but on day 18 I had 37 that looked great when I candled them and am really disappointed the other 13 died. Sad A couple zipped but didn't push out so after 12 to 24 hours, I helped them after removing all the other chicks. They were shrink wrapped and their toes are crooked. I don't believe the toe thing is genetic but given the two symptoms am pretty sure it's a humidity issue.

My questions are:

How do i fix crooked toes if it's minor?

And the one chick who is going to make it I think is pretty crusty and if nothing else, assume the others will pick at its feathers if I don't help get rid of the crusties. Can I wet the chick with warm water and can I put it under the heat lamp then or back in the incubator? I'll run the bator till tomorrow.

Lastly, at what point should I crack open the eggs that don't hatch to determine what the issue was?

2cleaning a chick all over Empty Re: cleaning a chick all over Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:34 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

All great questions, I have two that didn't get out of the egg and have crooked legs.
I have just put those crusty chicks in with the group and sometimes if you give that part a gentle rub it comes off. Or you can bath them like you said and use your blow dryer to dry them.

3cleaning a chick all over Empty Re: cleaning a chick all over Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:42 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Actually I just decided to go for it (I think he's a rooster so was willing to take a chance). I held the chick over a bowl of warm water and just kept saturating and gently rubbing its little body with a small sponge till it was clean and then popped him right back in the incubator. I'll let you know if he survives. I just kept the warm water on him the whole time. He also had a poop stuck because of his sticky feathers.

All the other chicks are out of the incubator except for one, so was willing to risk opening the door.

Perhaps I should have posted the crooked toes and dead eggs on a separate thread.

4cleaning a chick all over Empty Re: cleaning a chick all over Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:13 pm

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

I usually candle the eggs then crack them right away.

http://LynBarRanch.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum