Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

spatchcock a photo essay

+2
authenticfarm
coopslave
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1spatchcock a photo essay Empty spatchcock a photo essay Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:08 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Took this a while ago when we were talking about this.  As I said in another thread, just found the missing cord for my camera.

So this is how I do it.  I know it has been covered with some videos posted, but I do it a little different.

I leave the back bone in because I am lazy and I happen to like the popes nose (not sure of the real name for it  Embarassed )
So I use my kitchen scissors and cut on one side of the back bone.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

When I have cut all the way to the front I just flatten it out and push on it a bit.

Flip it over and flatten it again in the roasting pan.

Add the spices or rub you like.  I just used season salt that night.

Yumm!

I would really like to try a turkey like this, I think it would work well.

2spatchcock a photo essay Empty Re: spatchcock a photo essay Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:31 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yum!!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3spatchcock a photo essay Empty Re: spatchcock a photo essay Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:20 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I will bet that cooks quickly!

4spatchcock a photo essay Empty Re: spatchcock a photo essay Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:33 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good point, Sue. Does it shorten the cooking time?

5spatchcock a photo essay Empty Re: spatchcock a photo essay Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm gonna do this next time I buy a chicken. or if we process the roosters first which might be cause they are beginning to get "testy" as it were. we have warmish weather too and I'm going to do like others here and not pluck. Sometimes I smoke chicken, can see this might be a good way to smoke it too. mmm.

6spatchcock a photo essay Empty Re: spatchcock a photo essay Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:07 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh beautiful, can I make a post about it on my timeline elsewhere? I would use your pictures....would you mind (you would see it too Coopslave). Looks fabulous and so very weird to see the bird splayed like that....but one thing you missed out on. How long do you cook it? Covered, uncovered, what? Come on, finish the tale. Is this a heritage, boy does that boy have some good lookin' legs  Razz Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

7spatchcock a photo essay Empty Re: spatchcock a photo essay Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:45 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is a store bought bird CynthiaM. Please feel free to use the pictures if you want to post somewhere else.
It is cooked in a 350 degree oven for between 30 and 40 minutes, uncovered. It does depend a little on the size of the bird. I find 35 is usually just about right. I don't like my birds over cooked and dry! This method seems to keep the breast meat juicy and it gets a nice, crispy skin on it too.

8spatchcock a photo essay Empty Re: spatchcock a photo essay Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:11 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sneaker...I thought you would see this post this early morning and reply, so came back to check, smiling. Over the next few days I will take one of my cockerels and try the method, only will cook differently, as different technique is required I think. I will do the splaying of bird, season, put a cup of moisture in the pan, cover tightly with tin foil and then cook for 2.5 hours at 250. I'll post my results. I am stoked about this cause, guess what...with a chicken splayed like that (instead of cooking whole which is quite tall), I can indeed cook that in my oven in our home, which does not have much room for anything much taller than a typical blue roaster pan (without a lid). So I can experiment on Hubby  Razz  first before entertaining this new method of cooking. Yahoo!! have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

9spatchcock a photo essay Empty Re: spatchcock a photo essay Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:11 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I forgot to mention that I will baste it a little as it goes along as well. Love that crispy skin!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum