Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :)

+3
HiddenAcresBC
Prairie Chick
Amy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Empty Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:23 am

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well big to me, it is a homemade one from a friends inlaws basement, they didn't use it but someone did. It was full of egg shells so it must have worked well at some point.

It has 3 shelves for autoturners and a hatching tray in the bottom, one turner is missing (I am going to buy a new one). It has a false back with 2 100w bulbs, a BIG fan at the top and a proper wafer thermostat(I replaced the wafer).

The temperature ranges from 99.4 to 100.4 at the front of the turners and 100.4 to 101.4 at the back. It this acceptable ?

I will post pics this afternoon if I have time, it is a really well built unit.

Last edited by Amy on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

2Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Empty Re: Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:36 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

All i can suggest is that you fill it LOL Very Happy

3Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Empty Re: Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:21 am

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

Haha! I second that. FILL IT! Oh how exciting. I cant wait for the day DH will agree to a big bator. Good luck,

Jaclyn

4Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Empty Re: Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:32 am

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

LOL, Hubby didn't agree Razz He came home to it!

I am pretty excited to fill it Smile I think I will use my old one as a hatcher and then I could put 4 turners in this one Shocked

5Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Empty Re: Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:45 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I agree, the best information we can give you is to fill it! And of course quite a few of us on here would love to help you out in the egg department.
I am sending you some Buff Orp eggs next Monday, what else are you going to put in?

6Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Empty Re: Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:35 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I also have a pre-owned bator, but it needed some tweaking to get it working well. It now works like a charm! But I was glad I didn't try it out with any expensive eggs. I ran a test batch through first, and had dismal results...only 6 chicks out of about 2 dozen eggs - pretty disappointing. Once I got the bugs worked out - resealed the door, got a better thermometer etc, it has been awesome. So my advice would be to start with a batch of eggs that are not too valuable in case they don't do well on the first try.
Oh, CONGRATULATIONS!! And Good luck! Very Happy

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

7Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Empty Re: Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:41 am

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Not all my breed have been seperate long enough yet so I am going to use all those eggs to test. In fact I just out 32 in Very Happy

Chickeesmom- those eggs are going in friends sportsman while I test run this baby with every egg my birds lay Razz . I have Blue Orpingtons, Cuckoo marans and Polish coming too.

8Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Empty Re: Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:52 pm

Hey Amy, see my above post, it was intended for here. Rolling Eyes

9Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Empty Re: Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Mon May 02, 2011 9:51 am

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

17 out of 22 hatched in my 'test' batch Very Happy 2 of the shipped eggs didn't pip and one of my own did rather early ans I must have missed it candling. 1 of 2 duck eggs hatched, a female welsh harlequin, I don't think my humidity was quite high enough for the duck eggs

10Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Empty Re: Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Mon May 02, 2011 12:41 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

pretty decent hatch id say! sounds like it works just fine!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

11Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Empty Re: Got a BIG bator, NEED some input :) Mon May 02, 2011 12:51 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Congrats! That's a great hatch!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum