Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

sick chickens please help

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1sick chickens please help Empty sick chickens please help Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:22 pm

funnyfarm

New Here

I have a small flock of mixed chickens and just the other day I noticed some of them have runny noses and pussy looking eyes,and if you listen to them they sound like they are stuffed up. I live in manitoba and we had -45*c with the wind just a couple weeks ago, and this week its back to +1 during the day, so I am hoping its just a cold, and if it is, is there something I could be giving them to help the get better.

2sick chickens please help Empty Re: sick chickens please help Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:33 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I pm you

http://www.popscoops.com

3sick chickens please help Empty Re: sick chickens please help Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:49 pm

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Last edited by triplejfarms on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

4sick chickens please help Empty sick chickens please help. Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:56 pm

funnyfarm

New Here

Thanks Triple J.

5sick chickens please help Empty Re: sick chickens please help Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:31 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

There are two types of snuffly chickens that I have experienced.

There are snuffly chickens who snuffle but still eat, roost, scratch, peck, roll in the dirt (not now, no dirt!)and in every other way act as they normally do. Those snuffy birds, I leave alone.

If a bird is sick, hunched, head down, feathers ruffled, standing away from the other birds, not eating, not moving THAT is cause for alarm. THat is a sick bord and should be separated from the flock immediately.

If your birds look sick and have nasal discharge that STINKS (yes, you will smell it!) consider coryza. Not much you can do. Separate or cull.

If your coop is closed up tight to keep heat in, you may create a dusty, humid atmosphere that sets your birds up for respiratory problems. If you have not shovelled out the poop and the ammonia levels in the air are high, you are irritating your birds sinuses, eyes and other mucous membranes. SO get some fresh air circulating and shovel out the poo! Their environment can be the cause of the problem, may not be a 'germ'.

I do not treat my birds with antibiotics for run-of-the-mill snuffles. If they do not look and act sick, I let their immune system fight it out. YOu will have stronger chickens for it! BUt if you have SICK birds, more steps will be required. Observing the behaviour of your birds when they are healthy will aid you greatly in recognizing a change in behaviour that tells you when they are sick. Good luck!

6sick chickens please help Empty Re: sick chickens please help Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:03 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

you should have tylan on hand it is the big gun for sinus infection, you can call me I PMd you

http://www.popscoops.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum