Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nasty broody mama!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Nasty broody mama! Empty Nasty broody mama! Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:56 pm

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

OK I posted on another site so I will just copy and paste hear. I look forward to peoples ideas

I have a broody banam cochin. SHe has been broody for over a month now so I brought her in and put her in a large dog kennel. Then I snuck some chicks and a duckling under her. They were all 2 days old. Now as long as they stay under her and dont make a sound she sits there poofed up and content. but the moment one peeps and pokes its head out from under her she pecks with such force that I am sure I would bleed and the chick or duck screams. So she pecks more and more until they are either hiding back underneath her or cornered away from her. So I go back, tuck it underneath her and after she attacks my hand she is fine again. Until one peeps. Now this has been going on for 2 days and a night and still hasnt improved. Should I take them out and send her back to the coop with the rest of the birds and brood them myself? Or do I give her a chance to improve her motherly abilities? Will a mean hen becoe nicer or is she just a bad mom? Or are all hens like that at first?

Jaclyn

2Nasty broody mama! Empty Re: Nasty broody mama! Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had a broody cochin that would kill her babies as soon as they would pop out from under her. Not sure your hen will improve, and if the chicks cannot come out to eat and then get back under her I would take them away.
I would wonder if she just is not ready for chicks, has been happy to sit on eggs and that is it?
I am not a supporter of broody mommas here, unless they are ducks, so I am not much help...

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Nasty broody mama! Empty Re: Nasty broody mama! Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:08 pm

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

I was hoping she would improve but I will only give her until morning. If they are still pecked when they come out she will be sent back to the coop and I will resort back to motherhood.
I had really good luck with a broody Marans hen taking on 29 chicks so I thought this might be as easy and as successful. Unfortunatley it appears not Sad

Jaclyn

4Nasty broody mama! Empty Re: Nasty broody mama! Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:23 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hey Jaclyn, we had a hen like that too, and thought the same thing. By morning one of the chicks was really damaged from being pecked and died shortly after. It was terrible and now unless they already HAVE chicks and show they are good mothers, we do not give them chicks. They seem to either be fantastic or terrible. Our nasty momma was a buff orp.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum