Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

When your mind just 'goes there' and you can't do a thing about it!

+5
Hillbilly
smokyriver
uno
Fowler
rowdyrooster
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Cindi's post about her son-in-law and the 'chick spine' in the egg got me chuckling when I read it this morning. She reminds me of a situation that arose when I moved onto my farm.

We had this old wooden building standing over our well. It was leaning, rotten, sagging and one side had what looked like a bear attack. A big hole with insulation coming out.

So needless to say, it wasn't bug, bat or rat-proof. Shocked

Before we pushed it over and replaced it with a Happy Harry Shack (best thing EVER!!), I found a drowned rat in the latter stage of decomposition floating in the well. pale Where is the "gag me" emoticon?? Even though we obviously cleaned it out well, and shocked the water a couple of times with bleach (I was seriously grossed out), to this day I can not pour a glass of water from the tap and drink it. silent

I can rinse when I'm brushing, I can use it in juice and coffee, I can bathe and do almost everything you'd use tap water for...but I just. can't. drink. it. Mad

Anyone else got anything like that where the brain just simply locks up and you are helpless to do anything about it?

rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster

ok this is just for you!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Reg.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have sort of the same gag reaction towards certain spices , cury being the worst .........if I smell it I start to gag ? it just repulses me to no end .

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I know someone that used to live in an old house. After they ha been there a few years, their water suddenly tasted odd for a while and then seemed to get better again.

Then they found mouse bones in the washer filter.

On a different matter, I couldn't drink vodka for years. In deference to our younger readers, I won't get into the reason why.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

FOwler, is it because of that gross, little worm that is rotting in the bottle? Wait...is it a worm or mouse?

I used to be able to cook and eat beef liver, Hubby was NOT a big fan of this but now and then would tolerate it.

When I was pregnant I developed this insatiable, crazed craving for liver, but I could not stand to touch it. I HAD to eat it, but there was no way I could handle it.SO we'd go out. And I didn't want it any old way, nuh uh, I wanted it rare. I mean RARE. Like, take the chill off it and bring it to me with that colour that only liver has. If the drippings weren't reddish, then it was overcooked! I would actually grab the waitress by the arm as she was leaving the table and while digging my fingers into her arm I'd growl, "Tell the cook I mean rare and I am not joking!" Hubby had to restrain me sometimes. He also usually sat at another table because he could NOT stand to watch me slurp back what was essentailly raw liver. Very Silence Of The Lambs.

And that was the last time I was ever able to eat liver. Loved it then, needed it then, but that was my lifetime quota and it is a no go now.

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I cannot stomach tequilia for the little worm in it. My dad had for some unknown reason decided to buy 3 bottles of it for my second oldest sisters wedding, then proceeded to polish off 2 bottles of it with a family friend and ate the worm. Later that night his body decided to empty it out and I was privileged to have to clean the bathroom as he could not catch up with the toilet. I remember finding the two worms from the bottles and now can no longer even look at a bottle of tequila without feeling ill! I do have to say, my dad has never drank tequila again. He hardly ever drinks so I think that is why it was so hard on his system. pale

On the funny side, the guy who never dances, danced all night long, if that is what you want to call what he did. It was more a sprint around the dance floor, but we all thought it was funny!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

I am, admittedly, terrified of my food. I'm -that- person Miss Cynthia spoke of in the sense that its a constant worry. I got salmonella poisioning last year around this time (which they later linked to the pet food outbreak). I'm always worried its not cooked enough, and I'm sontantly asking DH "is this pink? Do you see pink?" especially when eating chicken or pork. I'm always afraid what I'm eating is bad, or hasn't been cooked enough, or will kill me.

I've also noticed I've been conditioned to be afraid of water. We have a well here and this is my first tim,e with 'non city' or non-bottled water. In an effort to cut down my perverbial carbon foot print as well as my intake of MSG, Soy, BPA and highly modified corn ingredients, I have discovered just how bad and unregulated bottled water is for a person. I'm constantly thinking about the water I drink though and what's in or not in it. People say put bleach in it, but I won't touch bleach with a 9ft pole.

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I CANNOT deal with maggots. I can deal with anything, but not them.
I mentioned in another thread I worked in a marina in the middle of nowhere. We had to deal with our own refuse removal. We had one of those tin sheds with the sliding doors for garbage for our moorage customers.
Well, being in a marina, not only did people just toss untied bags in there, fish heads and guts were quite common.
In the 30+ degree heat, my job was to load all that garbage into a truck, then of course, trudge through the slimy gross mess on the floor of that shed, sometimes it was more like swimming, and shovel out all the organics in there.
Well, somedays, it was like swimming in a sea of maggots in there. You can imagine the stench in that tiny tin shed with the sun beating down on it. Garbage and fish guts and maggots....yum.... having a relapse here.........

Oh I can relate to a bunch of you! Yuck! Not saying who though.
Thanks for the emoticon. Any chance of adding it to the list? Smile

Hillbilly, don't you wish you could have used a few chickens to help you out back then? They would have been in heaven!! Nom nom. Hillbilly? Hello??

Seems everyone has a few , so here is my worst one .I have a hard time eating at other peoples houses ? I can eat resturant food no problems , but when we get together with friends and family , unless it comes in a package I just can't eat it .It really bothered me when I had to eat around my parents when they were ill later in life , stupid I know , but I do know of one other fellow who has the same reaction as me .

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:FOwler, is it because of that gross, little worm that is rotting in the bottle? Wait...is it a worm or mouse?
I used to be able to cook and eat beef liver, Hubby was NOT a big fan of this but now and then would tolerate it.

When I was pregnant I developed this insatiable, crazed craving for liver, but I could not stand to touch it. I HAD to eat it, but there was no way I could handle it.SO we'd go out. And I didn't want it any old way, nuh uh, I wanted it rare. I mean RARE. Like, take the chill off it and bring it to me with that colour that only liver has. If the drippings weren't reddish, then it was overcooked! I would actually grab the waitress by the arm as she was leaving the table and while digging my fingers into her arm I'd growl, "Tell the cook I mean rare and I am not joking!" Hubby had to restrain me sometimes. He also usually sat at another table because he could NOT stand to watch me slurp back what was essentailly raw liver. Very Silence Of The Lambs.

And that was the last time I was ever able to eat liver. Loved it then, needed it then, but that was my lifetime quota and it is a no go now.

No worm in Vodka

http://www.popscoops.com

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ewwgh…rotten fish gut and maggots are revolting. silent Hillbilly wins!

Did you have fava beans with that liver Unnibal? Razz

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:I know someone that used to live in an old house. After they ha been there a few years, their water suddenly tasted odd for a while and then seemed to get better again.

Then they found mouse bones in the washer filter.

I took a well water workshop last year. One of the things talked about was all the neat things that have been found. The one that had me was a story of how these homeowners called in someone to check their well cause they had no water. On inspection of the kitchen faucet, fur was found. They had an open well with a wellhouse. It was choked full of dead mice.

On a different matter, I couldn't drink vodka for years. In deference to our younger readers, I won't get into the reason why.

Mine was rum. What I had done was so bad for years just the smell of rum would make me feel ill. I too will say no more too.

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I actually eat raw liver. I used to eat raw meat but after all the e-coli scares and deaths, my DH asked me to stop. However, I still eat raw liver though.

Maggots do gross me out. When we moved into our home, the former owners decided to leave several small dead animals lying around. Picked up some garbage and there was a chicken MOVING with the little buggers, making their little bacone frying noises.

But the thing that really gives me the willies: cockaroaches. I was once a cleaner, and my main job was cleaning rental units in highrise apartments. I have seen kitchens with so much grease that the roaches would stick to it and still be alive. I have gone into spotless units and go to move a fridge to find a hoard of roaches the size of a pie plate shoot out in all directions. I won't even go into the garbage rooms.

The absolute worse was one unit I cleaned that was so bad the roaches were dripping off the ceiling. The day they bombed the unit, my job was to stand outside the door with a tin of killer and soak anything that came out. It was something out of CreepShow. The unit had to be bombed once after that cause they were still kicking.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hillbilly, good thing you never went fishing in the cold with my dad. He used to favour maggots as bait, but they don't handle the cold too well so he'd store them....not one word of a lie, in his lower lip between lip and gum. Same place he used to tuck a pinch of snuff. You think onion breath is bad, try maggot breath! (fish love em!)

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Hillbilly, good thing you never went fishing in the cold with my dad. He used to favour maggots as bait, but they don't handle the cold too well so he'd store them....not one word of a lie, in his lower lip between lip and gum. Same place he used to tuck a pinch of snuff. You think onion breath is bad, try maggot breath! (fish love em!)

EW!!!!!

You mean that joke was about him????

Two kids are ice fishing. One is standing there not catching anything and the other is pulling fish out one after the other. The one kid just stands there. The other kid keeps pulling them out.

Finally, the one kid says, "Look, what are you dong to catch all these fish? What's your secret?"

The other kid says, "Mmph kmph yomph fooms phar."

"Waht?"

"Mmph kmph yomph fooms phar."

"I can't understand you."

"Ptuu, I said you have to keep your worms warm."

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Hillbilly, good thing you never went fishing in the cold with my dad. He used to favour maggots as bait, but they don't handle the cold too well so he'd store them....not one word of a lie, in his lower lip between lip and gum. Same place he used to tuck a pinch of snuff. You think onion breath is bad, try maggot breath! (fish love em!)

pale

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

ROFL and yuk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum