Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cross Beak

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cross Beak Empty Cross Beak Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:09 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Tonight I noticed one of my chicks has developed a crossed beak (another sad first for me) so looks like I will be culling it. Sad

What causes this to happen? Is it genetic? Dietary? Or caused by some sort of trauma? Because I know for a fact the chick was not born like that. I definitely would have noticed when I did my post-hatch check over. Everyone else looks fit as a fiddle, thankfully.

2Cross Beak Empty Re: Cross Beak Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:40 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

According to the literature it's almost always genetic, probably a recessive trait and so only expressed when homozygous (i.e. has two coplies of the allele). However it's not a simple recessive; it is probably mediated by other genes.
Crossed beak can also be caused by injury.

3Cross Beak Empty Re: Cross Beak Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:08 am

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Had one this spring with cross beak. It got worse as he got older. Not even sure I could see it when he hatched and by about 4 weeks when we culled him it was very obvious. It was genetic in this case. Too much inbreeding I think as about 5-10% of the chicks from these parents appear to get it (eggs were purchased) I found out when I asked. This is a case where I will not be crossing related birds, need new blood. They are my pets, lavender d'uccles.

KRL any luck with hatching any for me Wink

4Cross Beak Empty Re: Cross Beak Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:26 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes, it is more common in inbred birds; I didn't want to flog this after babbling on so much about inbreeding in the other thread, but there it is.

In the simplest case of recessives, if you mate two birds who carry the same recessive allele (and the more closely related two birds are, the more likely they are to carry the same allele), then approximately 1/4 of the offspring will display the trait, even though both parents appear normal. If other genes mediate expression, the numbers can be more variable and complicated, but the tendency will still be the same.

This also brings uo the subject of breeder responsibility - if a breeder knows that a given mating produces a high proportion of defective birds, they should, at the VERY least, not be selling hatching eggs from that mating! Some would say that both parents should be culled, as they clearly cary the defective allele.

There are two ways of dealing with defective alleles -
1) work very hard at exposing them, through back-crossing, test mating, etc., and then removing (culling) all birds that are known to carry that allele (which will mean getting rid of a lot of apparently healthy birds, simply because they carry one copy of a recessive but deleterious allele), or
2) outcross to a relatively unrelated bird.

Last edited by ipf on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:27 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add info)

5Cross Beak Empty Re: Cross Beak Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:37 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for the info guys and the detailed explanation on how to deal with defective alleles.

I’ve been doing some more research as well. And now I’m really wondering if it wasn’t caused by some sort of injury because I’m almost positive the chick’s beak was fine a few days ago. I’m still going to cull because it cannot be fixed and I really doubt quality of life will be as good. Poor fella. Then there is the simple fact I’m only keeping what I plan to breed and I don’t want to take the chance just in case it is genetic.

Sometimes I feel like a sponge adrift in a sea of knowledge here. Laughing Wheee! cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum