Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Frozen comb? What to do?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Frozen comb? What to do? Empty Frozen comb? What to do? Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:48 pm

Nora

Nora
New Here

My rooster's comb has turned black and white, so I assume it was frozen. Will it look after itself? (Poor little guy.... Sad )

2Frozen comb? What to do? Empty Re: Frozen comb? What to do? Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:52 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's tough and extremely painful if it is frost bite. Poor fella. I don't know about the healing process but I do know that in the future if you make up and keep on hand some cayenne infused olive oil (recipe online) and massage it in to the comb at night when they are relatively docile on their roosts, it should help keep frostbite at bay.

Does he have a single comb?

3Frozen comb? What to do? Empty Re: Frozen comb? What to do? Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:14 pm

Nora

Nora
New Here

Yes, single comb. I am just worried about infection, etc.

4Frozen comb? What to do? Empty Re: Frozen comb? What to do? Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:04 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm sure someone can help you here. My experience in fighting off infection is to use raw honey. It's amazing stuff. I've never tried it on a bird's comb though. Good luck.

5Frozen comb? What to do? Empty Re: Frozen comb? What to do? Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:57 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

happened to one of our single comb roos last year, left it on its own and it healed up fine after some bleeding, actually made a really nice neat comb just like it had been dubbed off.
Did hurt him a bit as it healed but after that he had no more problem and no infection so hope yours is fine as well...it couldn't hurt to put some polysporin on it im sure...

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum