Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

frozen toes

+3
silkiebantam
ChicoryFarm
smokyriver
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1frozen toes Empty frozen toes Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:51 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have just been given a pretty cuckoo maran pullet. She is laying just about every day. When I got her, she arrived with frozen toes. One toe has fallen off and the other is hanging on by just a piece of skin. Is there anything I should/could do for her to help her? I would think this would be very painful for the poor girl. She was living in an unlined building with no straw or anything to protect her from the cold before I got her.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

2frozen toes Empty Re: frozen toes Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:03 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Out of Gail Damerow's 'Chicken Health Handbook' she addresses frostbitten combs and wattles, which I guess is far more common. Here you go verbatim:

"If you discover the condition while the part is still frozen, apply a damp, warm cloth (40.5C) to the frozen part for 15 minutes or until it thaws. Do not Rub. After the part has thawed, gently apply an antiseptic ointment such as Neosporin. Isolate the bird and keep an eye on it to see that the comb heals properly.

Frozen combs and wattles are more likely to be discovered after they have thawed and becomes red, hot, swollen, and painful. The bird doesn't feel like moving, is listless, and loses interest in eating. If the part has already thawed, warming it is no longer necessary. Gently coat with Neosporin and isolate bird.

After the swelling goes down, the skin may peel, the part may itch, and it may be sensitive to cold for a while. It may turn scabby, develop pus, and eventually fall off. The suffering cock may continue to lose weight and may become infertile.

If the comb or wattles were seriously frozen, instead of swelling they may remain cold, begin to shrivel, and eventually die back. Other chickens may peck at the affected part, making matters worse.

If a comb or wattle turns black, the affected tissue has died and gangrene has set in - the comb or wattle is no longer receiving a blood supply and must be surgically removed."

There you go smoky. That was a good opportunity to work on my typing skills. Good luck.....the dear chicken.

3frozen toes Empty Re: frozen toes Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:14 pm

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm dealing with frozen toes right now. I actually have a post here on it. It's not fun.

My Roosters toes are falling off, and I feel sick about it. I'm Torn between wanting him to heal and putting him out of his misery because of it. His were frozen really bad. I think he got them wet then went outside and stood in the ice and cold. I think he may lose them...

Watch to make sure your hen isn't picking at them. (That's what mine did.) I have my rooster wearing a pair of my kids socks right now taped on around his ankles with medical tape so he can't pick at them. He is also on peat moss.

That being said, last winter I had a silkie hen who wouldn't roost and froze her toes. They shriveled up and one day I went in and they were gone. There was no bleeding and she was just fine. She just lost the ends of them.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

4frozen toes Empty Re: frozen toes Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:51 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

There seems to be no bleeding, or anything in that way. She is eating, walking, drinking and seeming fine otherwise. I am thinking I may have to snip the toe that is just hanging on by a thread of skin. I will keep everyone updated on her. She will have just tiny stumps for toes left if we can pull her through this. It has not seemed to slow her down any.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

5frozen toes Empty Re: frozen toes Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:28 pm

Sultan

Sultan

I have a hen with this, she wouldn't move or drink so I put some polysprorin on it. I did this every day multiple times a day. Her toe fell off but her others ones got alot better. They were not the same but where at 75 percent as before. Hope this helps.

6frozen toes Empty Re: frozen toes Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Azure Farm

Azure Farm

we had a muscovy last year that froze all the webbing off his feet (hate ducks with white feet) we isolated him inside in a large dog crate and gave him antibiotics in his water (just the tetracycline you get in powder form from the feed store) He turned out fine and we had ducklings from him this summer. I'd defently do it again if i had poultry that i had to keep for breeding.

Good luck

http://azurepoultry.webs.com/

7frozen toes Empty Re: frozen toes Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:38 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't think they are in too much pain, after all frozen nerves do not transmit pain signals to the brain.

The best treatment is prevention.

WIDE wooden perches so the bird can settle his feathers over his feet for insulation. I use a 2 X 4 with the 4 side up.

Nothing perchable that is metal.

And most important- plenty of accessable water. Well hydrated cells do not freeze as easily as dehydrated ones.

Sue

8frozen toes Empty Re: frozen toes Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:57 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a little black roo 2 years ago he ran under the building after he got out when feeding, he froze one foot and it fell off at the ankle, so he hopped around on one leg, well the next year he did the same thing and now has both feet gone and he does just fine.

http://www.popscoops.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum