Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

how can you tell if an egg is frozen?

+4
Ruffledfeathers
HigginsRAT
uno
bigrock
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Empty how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:31 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We have some of our hens laying in the barn and yesterday found one that had cracked open (obviously frozen) and another that i decided didn't look right to sell because it had a very crinkly shell. I fed them to the dogs and the crinkly shell egg was also frozen.
Any ay to tell if an egg is froze? I don't want to be selling these to my customers

2how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Empty Re: how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:28 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lick it. If it sticks to your tongue, it's frozen.

Don't do that. I made that up.

If they are not broken, I keep them. BUt if I suspect they have frozen I do not sell them as the white has a hazy, cloudy look once it's been frozen.

The crinkled egg has nothing to do with freezing. THat's a separate issue. Charge more for those eggs. Call them 'designer' eggs from high end Gucci chickens.

3how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Empty Re: how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:47 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno you might be on to the next trendy thing. Gucci chickens... hahaha

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I dunno Uno. If I were laying eggs in bitter cold the egg shell might be slightly crinkled... just saying...

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

6how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Empty Re: how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:19 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

If the egg is not cracked, but has begun to freeze, I find that if I pop them in the fridge and they thaw, then later I crack them open, they are just fine.

7how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Empty Re: how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Gently spin them on the counter with not much force. The colder an egg the faster it spins.  Frozen eggs spin fast and smooth, like a hard boiled egg would. If it spins slow it's not frozen.
Spinning semi fast, starting to thicken up from the cold and may have ice crystals. 

We keep a basket of eggs at room temp and they spin slower then the ones in our fridge.
Our eggs are large and extra large. Not sure if spinning would be harder to tell with smaller sizes.

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

JDWest wrote:Gently spin them on the counter with not much force. The colder an egg the faster it spins.  Frozen eggs spin fast and smooth, like a hard boiled egg would. If it spins slow it's not frozen.
Spinning semi fast, starting to thicken up from the cold and may have ice crystals. 

We keep a basket of eggs at room temp and they spin slower then the ones in our fridge.
Our eggs are large and extra large. Not sure if spinning would be harder to tell with smaller sizes.
JD West, do you play Civilisation? I think I remember that quote about chasing two rabbits - my kids have had on again off again love affair with that game. I have to say, I prefer it to WOW which could take over ones life! I don't play but they do.

That spinning speed of froz and not froz makes excellent sense but I am not sure why, what is the physics behind that??

I wonder if the cloudiness that occurs in a frozen egg would be visible under a candling?

10how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Empty Re: how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:05 pm

Magdelan wrote:
JDWest wrote:Gently spin them on the counter with not much force. The colder an egg the faster it spins.  Frozen eggs spin fast and smooth, like a hard boiled egg would. If it spins slow it's not frozen.

JD West, do you play Civilisation? I think I remember that quote about chasing two rabbits - my kids have had on again off again love affair with that game. I have to say, I prefer it to WOW which could take over ones life! I don't play but they do.

That spinning speed of froz and not froz makes excellent sense but I am not sure why, what is the physics behind that??
I think it has to do with the yolk being able to move within the egg, so it slows the spin.

Nope, don't play either of those games. We have horrible internet! I don't mind watching people play, but don't myself.
It's a Native American proverb. My family is just into sayings, quotes, proverbs, etc. I like expressions that help cut thru the wavering in life.

11how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Empty Re: how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:24 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

JDWest wrote:
Magdelan wrote:

JD West, do you play Civilisation?  I think I remember that quote about chasing two rabbits  -  my kids have had on again off again love affair with that game.  I have to say, I prefer it to WOW which could take over ones life!  I don't play but they do.  

I think it has to do with the yolk being able to move within the egg, so it slows the spin.

Nope, don't play either of those games. We have horrible internet! I don't mind watching people play, but don't myself.
It's a Native American proverb. My family is just into sayings, quotes, proverbs, etc. I like expressions that help cut thru the wavering in life.
Of course that would make sense, wonder what a double yolker would do :-). Probably wobble right out of the spin all together!

It is a good proverb I think. When it is said in Civi it has the sound of a North American Indian. It works for me, well in theory cause I have a lot of unfinished projects started and I guess there is the proof in the puddin' Rolling Eyes  You don't need internet for Civi and if I give the wifi the chop to inspire those boys off their computers then they will probably revert to that game. There are AA-type groups for WOW I think and if there aren't then there should be. I have heard of WOW-widows - women married to men who have gone into the matrix and left their real life behind! Oh dear, I have hijacked again. No 

12how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Empty Re: how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:18 pm

I think the Russians also use that saying, but it's worded different. I prefer the Native version.

I have a friend who got into a pouting match with her hubby. He didn't want her buying a $150 virtual giant rooster for her character to ride on WOW. I agreed that the online presence of her character riding around on a giant rooster was worth their hard earned cash. Sadly, he didnt see it that way Sad

No, don't tell me about civi not needing to be online..aaaahhhh! I don't get to watch t.v. as it is! Lately, my boys switch between skyrim, diablo, and minecraft. I hate those moaning zombies on minecraft!

Sorry for the hijack all!! Keep in mind, my hijack did involve poultry Very Happy

13how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Empty Re: how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:36 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

JDWest wrote:I think the Russians also use that saying, but it's worded different. I prefer the Native version.

I have a friend who got into a pouting match with her hubby. He didn't want her buying a $150  virtual giant rooster for her character to ride on WOW. I agreed that the online presence of her character riding around on a giant rooster was worth their hard earned cash. Sadly, he didnt see it that way Sad

No, don't tell me about civi not needing to be online..aaaahhhh! I don't get to watch t.v. as it is! Lately, my boys switch between skyrim, diablo, and minecraft. I hate those moaning zombies on minecraft!

Sorry for the hijack all!! Keep in mind, my hijack did involve poultry Very Happy
ok, this is my last comment in the hijack, I swear I'll stop after this. sort of interesting to find someone else with knowledge of WOW.  Funny about the $150 virtual rooster, can't stop smiling Razz  I know those other games you mention too.  It all started with runescape  -  harmless enough to begin with but it leads on to other things.  I was happy with pacman and spider solitaire is my all time fav but the boys not happy with that stuff.  Back to poultry, this is a picture of a WOW rooster.  My son sometimes rides what looks like a chicken, so cute when it is bobbing along while running  -  short little strides must make for one heck of a ride!  Not good suspension, bad economy  -  they need to work on conformation. Twisted Evil 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

14how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Empty Re: how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:26 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I don't think any of my girls eggs have been frozen. Some of them were pretty chilly to the touch but they seemed fine to me. They also didn't look any different so maybe none have been frozen? Are there any issues with using a thawed egg?

15how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Empty Re: how can you tell if an egg is frozen? Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:33 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

i don't know if there is any difference using frozen eggs. i am going to experiment. i cooked the frozen ones up for the dogs, and they looked just like the ones that aren't frozen...but i didn't taste..it was in the dog pan..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum