Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How to read barcodes

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How to read barcodes Empty How to read barcodes Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:32 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Got this on Facebook and thought it was interesting. I hadn't known this so I thought I would share.

Some countries <coughChinacough> are starting to try and avoid opening declaring that a product was made there.

Fortunately we can tell where a product was made by looking at the first 3 numbers on the bar code.

A complete list can be found here;
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Basically, if you stick with bar codes that begin with zero, it will be made in North America. The one below begins 011, made in North America (if I'm following this right).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2How to read barcodes Empty Re: How to read barcodes Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:11 am

turkeylurkey

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here, Fowler. I looked around the house and found barcodes starting with 0 and some with 7. The numbers that follow are all over the place.

The system mentioned seems to have something to do with import/export bar codes (maybe on shipments) not barcodes on individual products for pricing purposes.

http://www.guppy.ca

3How to read barcodes Empty Re: How to read barcodes Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:26 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ah, I see that it is partially true but not %100 accurate. It gives you the country of the company, not necessarily where the item originated.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I see in the list that Canada has a couple of 7 numbers as well.

4How to read barcodes Empty Re: How to read barcodes Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:50 am

turkeylurkey

I did a little more research. The barcodes we see on most products are "point of sale" codes. They identify the product and relate it to the selling price the merchant has keyed in for that product. Here's a link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The codes referenced are the standard assigned for business shipping worldwide so the barcode readers in customs can quickly identify the country of origin, but these barcodes would be on shipping documents and master cartons, not individual items.

I have a package of Advantage sitting on my desk. First 3 numbers are 056. Or a package of hot chocolate with 058. Simply doesn't relate to this country list.

5How to read barcodes Empty Re: How to read barcodes Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:18 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

So we don't even see the barcode that would tell us the origin. Rats!

6How to read barcodes Empty Re: How to read barcodes Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:30 am

turkeylurkey

Best to just assume everything is now made in China. If the package says "Made in Canada" there is likely a town somewhere in China named "Canada". Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum