Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

APA Canadian National, a DQ'd hen

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1APA Canadian National, a DQ'd hen Empty APA Canadian National, a DQ'd hen Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:27 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had entered into the show this weekend one of my two black cochin hens. She had a disqualification, and that was wrong foot colour. Well, rock my socks. I looked at her feet, the best I could through the cage, I didn't want to disturb her and noticed that she had grey feet with some black on them. Looked OK to me, so I wondered what on earth was wrong with her foot colour.

After, when I went home, I immediately went to my Standard of Perfection and looked up black cochin. Now if I had done my homework and really read about how shanks and legs should look on a black cochin, she would not have gone to the show, smiling. This is what I found out about black cochins.

"Shanks and toes -- Males -- yellow, bottoms of feet, yellow
Shanks and toes -- Female -- yellow or dusky yellow, yellow preferred, bottoms of feet, yellow"

Certainly, she does not have yellow, smiling. They look more like what my blue cochins shanks and feet colour is.

So, some advice from a novice shower, check out what the standard for certain things should be before you enter birds into a show. If there is something that is disallowed (disqualified), do yourself a favour and don't show that bird Very Happy and Shocked . Well you can, if you don't mind a disqualified bird, smiling again.

This was very interesting to me, certainly, and I absolutely learned something wonderful and new over the weekend.

The black hen had come from a mating of two blues together.

I am now wondering if the black that comes from two blues will always have the same colour of shanks and legs as the blue parents.

I wonder if one can only get the yellow shanks and leg colours from the matings of blacks to black.

A couple of years ago I had a trio of very nice black cochins. I recall them having yellow legs and I thought this just looked weird. But I clearly remember this. The rooster was a nasty fellow, very skitzy and very un-nice, one hen was enormous and gorgeous, the other hen had some very distinct "brown-ness" to her hackles.

I did not keep that trio, as we were getting ready for that move in our big, new life. This fellow did not like my blue dude and one day flew (yes, he flew, go figure that, cochins don't really like to take flight) over the fence to get at the blue dude and beat him up pretty badly. Poor Hercules. I felt so awful for him. Knew full well then that I must really consider if I wanted to have this ever happen again. I much more preferred the personality of my blues, so kept the blues, and did not keep the blacks.

Anyone know? Does blue to blue matings, when you get black (and you will get black mating those two colours), that the leg colour will take after the blue? A dominant gene, just wondering. I wonder about many things, and wonder gets me to a'learnin' stuff. Have that beautiful day, CynthiaM.

2APA Canadian National, a DQ'd hen Empty Re: APA Canadian National, a DQ'd hen Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:07 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

So CynthiaM do the blues not have to have yellow soles as well? I think it would be unusual for a breed to have white in one variety and yellow in the other.
I suppose if I wasn't lazy I would get my own standard out and have a read.... Rolling Eyes

3APA Canadian National, a DQ'd hen Empty Re: APA Canadian National, a DQ'd hen Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:52 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

The Standards actually says for blue that the legs should be yellow to dusky yellow, yellow prefered, bottoms of feet yellow (female). So they should be the same as the black in leg and foot colour.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum