Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I am so not looking forward to winter.

+7
heda gobbler
debbiej
Dark Wing Duck
loushrop
triplejfarms
coopslave
Hidden River
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I am so not looking forward to winter. Empty I am so not looking forward to winter. Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:09 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Day 5 of frozen water hoses and fonts in the mornings. Still warming up to reasonable temperatures in the day time but I just hate cold and frozen stuff.
I have moved most of my birds into communal housing now, they are sorting out their differences, and most are being very nice ladies to each other, a few lower on the pecking order still getting used to things but overall doing well. These are all new pullets and last night I have 12 eggs with only 3 not in the next boxes, so I am super happy about that.
Just need to wind up hoses now, move the next group of older birds into their communal house and then I should be fairing better in the morning chore routine. For now I will just have to sit back and enjoy some hot cocoa while I wait for my hoses to thaw. Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I hear ya Hidden!!! I so don`t want winter yet. We were -7C yesterday morning and it had me whining loudly! We are milder at -3C this morning. We do warm up nicely through the day so my hoses will stay out a bit longer. Time to get the roof on the outdoor run before the first snow flys. I want to get everyone settled, but I have some little ones that need to grow a bit before I fling them into the general population. I am also worried about the precious wheatens. They are so sweet and mellow, I hope they stand up if I put them in `general`. They have all been freeranging for weeks together, but they still go back and get private time in their own space at night,.
Stupid winter! why does it have to come EVERY year?!

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

its supposed to be a very cold long winter as well so i heard....yuck No

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

4I am so not looking forward to winter. Empty Re: I am so not looking forward to winter. Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:14 am

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I heard that it is supposed to be 5 degrees colder on average than last year. One day at a time. Shocked The only one who doesn't seem to mind is Eddie(ostrich) and she got herself a new insulated home. Lou

5I am so not looking forward to winter. Empty Re: I am so not looking forward to winter. Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:34 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

affraid It can't be a colder winter! That's a lie!!! All the scientists keep saying that our planet is going to die from global warming, that is in complete contradiction of having colder and longer winters! How dare you spew such non sense?!?! Shame on you!!! cyclops

6I am so not looking forward to winter. Empty Re: I am so not looking forward to winter. Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:38 am

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

triplejfarms wrote:its supposed to be a very cold long winter as well so i heard....yuck No

NO

7I am so not looking forward to winter. Empty Re: I am so not looking forward to winter. Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:09 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Haven't you heard - it isn't Global Warming anymore its Climate Change. The long term forecast does say the West is going to get a colder than usual winter, on a twenty year average.

Sigh. Put all my hens together and two of the youngest buckeye pullets were dead the next morning. Not a mark on them.

And time to get "an appointment" for the last of the young cockerels. And, as you say, wind up those hoses.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am. So. Not. Into. Winter. Ugh. But it returns every year regardless… Laughing I need to get my butt moving today and clean out the roo coop, move my cockerels in and the guineas to the barn, set up the heated water dishes for everyone, and basically get my birds situated in their winter accommodations. Then I'll be ready for winter chore duty at least...

Sorry about your pullets heda gobbler. I hate how hard the cold can be on the young and old.

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

coopslave wrote:I hear ya Hidden!!! I so don`t want winter yet. We were -7C yesterday morning and it had me whining loudly! We are milder at -3C this morning. We do warm up nicely through the day so my hoses will stay out a bit longer. Time to get the roof on the outdoor run before the first snow flys. I want to get everyone settled, but I have some little ones that need to grow a bit before I fling them into the general population. I am also worried about the precious wheatens. They are so sweet and mellow, I hope they stand up if I put them in `general`. They have all been freeranging for weeks together, but they still go back and get private time in their own space at night,.
Stupid winter! why does it have to come EVERY year?!

Hi coopslave or anyone else who has Wheatens. Are you meaning French Wheaten Marans? I posted yesterday about friendly French Wheaten Marans and got no reply, maybe no one thought I was serious. I am truly worried about my 2 pullets as they are soooo 'sweet and mellow' as you said. They literally hunker down for treats and let everyone else run over them??? I'm not sure I should keep them with the general population and would love some advice from someone who has kept them before. I don't mean to highjack your thread Hidden, if you can maybe someone could reply under my post I will bump it.

XOX Monika

10I am so not looking forward to winter. Empty Re: I am so not looking forward to winter. Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

We're strangely warm out here lately...then it will wallop us unprepared (denial) folks. It's a pain to be sure. Now it's not just me either but have to bundle up the baby (well, toddler) and cart him out on my back. Not looking forward to that. But I'm sure we don't have to worry about as much as you folks in the interior. But our "wet" nasty cold can be awful.
As to the "worst winter in 20 yrs", they said that about last year, and it was a warm easy winter. I just don't believe them.

11I am so not looking forward to winter. Empty Re: I am so not looking forward to winter. Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:42 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Blah, why can't we have nice balmy summertime, all year around, smiling that big smile..I actually really do like summertime the best, bring on the heat, I am a sungirl and I love hotness!! Cold, nope not a coldgirl at all.

This is our second winter up here in the north Okanagan, after moving from wet and wild Maple Ridge on the southwest coast of B.C. Ya'll that live in the PNW (Pacific Northwest) know what the coastal weather is like. It is wet, usually pretty mild, winter temps averaging below between 3-8 celsius, well, that is kind of the average. January can have the deep freezing for a couple of weeks, but pretty temperate, lived there for over 57 years, so pretty much understand that southwest coast weather.

Now this weather up here has me befuddled. Befuddled, yep, perplexed one could also define it as. The weather appears to change rapidly, from summer to winter, from winter to summer, it is almost like a switch is turned on and off. That is my take on it.

We have had three nights of zero degrees. Absolutely if the frost kill is a good word, we have had that. The canna lilies are the ones that really tell the tale. Standing one day up to 7 or 8 feet tall, the next day, looking rather darkish brown and about to keel over. Yep. Winter is here and it will come fast and furious.

We have been doing lots of work around here readying for winter. My Daughter warned me last year that if I wanted to find things, after snow falls, that I had best get them in a place where they won't be under 3 or 4 feet of snow. Didn't believe her, but I did the clean up anyways. There was 4 feet of snow, so yes, she actually did know what she was talking about, Smile . So, this year I listen even more, we pick things up, hang things up, clean up the clean up and yes, water lines that are used in the summer are drained and the water to that shut down. Hoses, yep, my chicken hose is now inside the chicken barn, drained, so I can use it when I need to without worrying about frozen water inside it. We have frost free taps here, you know the ones, the ones that are like a metal pole coming vertically out of the grown with a lever to turn the water off and on. I imagine most places have those types of water lines. Love it. Never seen that before we moved to this area, but surely a great thing.

I have the apparatus that heats the chickens' water containers ready for each coop. It was nice last year as there was no frozen chicken waterers. All I have to do is plug in to electricity and they are good to go, good investments, of varying types and a homemade one that my Husband built too.

The gardens (food) are all picked and being stored properly. Lots of parsnips, zucchini, spaghetti and butternut squash, carrots, potatoes and Swiss chard. Many of which will be processed in the next few days for the freezer. Some stayed for fresh storage eating.

Hmmm.....right, gotta go over as soon as my car is fixed and pick tons of apples at Heather's home. She still has lots of apples on the trees and I need to help her use them up. That is gonna be a biggy. Lots of juice and cut up frozen apples. I hope the apples don't freeze on her tree before I get there. I wonder if they can stand a little frost.

Last night I thought it was going to rain, the sky was overcast. The temperature at 5:00 A.M. was 7 celsius, almost a balmy warm summer day, smiling. Nice how the clouds keep the heat from the earth from escaping.

That is my take on winter, I wonder if I rambled and this became a rather long post, hmmmm...I think so, but oh well, such is the nature of this beast, a ramblin' gal.

Someone was mentioning that there is a product that horsey people put in the sand in their riding arenas to keep the sand from freezing, perhaps some type of salt? I can't imagine that, but I think that my Daughter was talking about applying some so she can still ride in the arena. But what about the snow? I know it got pretty deep in there too. They could push all the snow off the arena, but then it would look like the snow piles on the side of the Coquihalla highway, which are like 10 feet tall (feels like you are going through a snow tunnel). Probably not worth the effort, just trailer the horses to someone else's covered arena to ride, that is what I would do.

Yes....that ol' man winter is surely just around the corner. Well, when it gets to -17 celsius, I will be hold up, warm and snug as a bug in a rug in our little trailer. Eating and getting that winter layer of fat. Sitting on my computer studying, hangin' out with my friends on the forum, and drinking nice hot drinks. Hot rum toddies come to mind, ummmmm, winter, white, wonderful and cold!! Have a beautiful and wonderful day, CynthiaM.

12I am so not looking forward to winter. Empty Re: I am so not looking forward to winter. Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:21 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's coming... 1-3 cm of snow forecast for the next 24 hours. Quick - what's left to do??? Put away the hoses I guess...make sure nothing is lying on the ground...

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum