Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I DISLIKE winter!

+5
CynthiaM
authenticfarm
IzzyD
Farmer Bob
Echo 1
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I DISLIKE winter! Empty I DISLIKE winter! Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:45 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It's early yet but..... I am reminded just how much I hate winter! Blah!

2I DISLIKE winter! Empty Re: I DISLIKE winter! Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:04 am

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

oh oh...indeed a tad early! Very Happy Do you even have snow yet? LOL...ok, I shouldn't poke fun...just because I happen to like winter! Wood fires..hot soups...good books...of course the house is 9 degrees right now and I need to get back to the fire so I can thaw out my fingers...

3I DISLIKE winter! Empty Re: I DISLIKE winter! Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:29 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

No snow on the ground yet....but a few brave flakes mocked me this morning as I took warm water to all the beasties. Hubby has been so busy building coops and runs for our Chicken Crazy daughter that the wood stove is not installed yet. Chimney is in, he just needs to drywall around it and put up the heat barrier. Stove is sitting there taunting me with it's potential warmth. Sigh.......

4I DISLIKE winter! Empty Re: I DISLIKE winter! Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:33 am

IzzyD

IzzyD

It will be so nice when it's hooked up. One of my favourite places in the house is warming by the wood stove.
The tile floor gets nice and warm by the stove too so is great for warming up the toes after doing outside chores.

5I DISLIKE winter! Empty Re: I DISLIKE winter! Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ok...if my stove wasn't hooked up I'd hate winter too... Shocked It's a gorgeous fall day here! I just came in from mulching the garlic...better late than never...I hope... On the other hand...I wonder why it even matters...the ground freezes down to 2-3 feet...so the garlic is going to freeze if I mulch or not...

6I DISLIKE winter! Empty Re: I DISLIKE winter! Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:57 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love winter. I don't have to feel guilty about my weedy yard when it's covered in snow. Laughing

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

7I DISLIKE winter! Empty Re: I DISLIKE winter! Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:18 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Exactly! cheers

8I DISLIKE winter! Empty Re: I DISLIKE winter! Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:50 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Farmer Bob wrote:Ok...if my stove wasn't hooked up I'd hate winter too...  Shocked    It's a gorgeous fall day here!  I just came in from mulching the garlic...better late than never...I hope...  On the other hand...I wonder why it even matters...the ground freezes down to 2-3 feet...so the garlic is going to freeze if I mulch or not...

Smiling...I talked about that in my good morning post. I don't think actually that mulching does anything but prevent the garlic from being bumped out of the ground by frost heaves. Frozen is frozen and yes, we too free down 2-4 feet in winter, much deeper than the garlic was planted. Time will tell that tale eh? Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM. Oh yes, I dislike winter too, but there is something about being in a warm and cozy house, smiling again.

9I DISLIKE winter! Empty Re: I DISLIKE winter! Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:41 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Now if it were summer (6:30 am) I'd be out and doing morning chores already. Summer is so busy and by the time we reach October we are just beat. Now it is too dark to go out and I have a few hours of either sleep or reading or catching up on forums - maybe even house cleaning. The woodstove is hot, the coffee is fresh and really this is the most free time I have as a rancher!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

10I DISLIKE winter! Empty Re: I DISLIKE winter! Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:33 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

heda gobbler wrote:Now if it were summer  (6:30 am) I'd be out and doing morning chores already.  Summer is so busy and by the time we reach October we are just beat.  Now it is too dark to go out and I have a few hours of either sleep or reading or catching up on forums - maybe even house cleaning.  The woodstove is hot, the coffee is fresh and really this is the most free time I have as a rancher!

That's exactly it! I am enjoying doing a little sewing, a little house organizing ... until we start calving, this is the season when we get to spend the most time together as a family. Smile

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

11I DISLIKE winter! Empty Re: I DISLIKE winter! Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:54 am

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Saturdays we allow ourselves to...do nothing! Well almost nothing..the critters still need to be fed of course. Just got in from doing that and now we will relax. Every Saturday morning I make pancakes on the wood cook stove!

12I DISLIKE winter! Empty Re: I DISLIKE winter! Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:37 pm

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I too hate winter, that's why we moved to the Island. It's 0 right now Sad My chickens auto waterers are all frozen up. I'm carrying warm water out to my poultry, too early for this, it's like late January/February weather

13I DISLIKE winter! Empty Re: I DISLIKE winter! Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:21 am

birish

not a fan of winter neither,it's warmer today -14 compared to -27 on Friday.For the winter this year I've got a school bus route about 260kms. a day not looking forward to that adventure but it will allow me to hang around to hang around home to garden in the spring rather than working 12to14 hours on a tractor,a positive tradeoff in my world

14I DISLIKE winter! Empty Re: I DISLIKE winter! Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:04 pm

farmerrick

The only thing white I want to see is sand!
But we just reconnected our old wood cookstove, so with the Drolet wood stove going in the living room, and the cookstove fired in the kitchen we are very comfortable. Have to start processing lambs tomorrow, not looking forward to standing in the cold doing that, but has to be done.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum