Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heritage birds for meat?

+3
KathyS
coopslave
Swamp Hen
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Heritage birds for meat? Empty Heritage birds for meat? Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:00 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Hey all, my first "real" post here so excuse any faux-pas. So my question stems from a problem I'm sure anyone who's raise Cornish-cross meat birds has experienced. They are amazing growers, great for getting into the freezer and done with. However, they are also prone to a host of problems (heart attacks, gimp leggs ect). I raised some for my parents this summer and have been informed the parents would like to try some other kind of bird next year. I have Wyandottes, obviously a lot slower growing (I dont mind), but is there any breed you think could be better for meat production? Or any crosses for that matter?

2Heritage birds for meat? Empty Re: Heritage birds for meat? Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:39 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am not sure about better, but I have done Chanteclers (both partridge and white) for the last two years and been very happy with them.
Here are what the partridge boys from last year looked like:
Heritage birds for meat? 100_2534
Heritage birds for meat? 100_2539-1
I hope some others tell you about what they are doing too, I will be interested to hear.

3Heritage birds for meat? Empty Re: Heritage birds for meat? Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:11 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Coopslave, They say a picture is worth a thousand words. That photo does more to promote the meat aspect of dual purpose heritage chickens than the many, many threads I've read on forums!
They are great looking table birds, plump and meaty and just look at those drumsticks!

Swamphen, your question is a good one. I'm still debating about whether to stick to my extra purebreds for butchering, or try some crosses and see if I get better, meatier results. I have a group of roosters going for processing on Thursday including Buff Orpingtons, Wyandottes and at least one White Chantecler. It wont be a fair comparison because the orps have been growing longer than the others, but still interesting to see how everyone dresses out.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

4Heritage birds for meat? Empty Re: Heritage birds for meat? Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:35 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mmmmm... Coopslave, set an extra place at your table!

Sue

5Heritage birds for meat? Empty Re: Heritage birds for meat? Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:13 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

^ Mmm, better make that two! Those chantie boys sure do put mine to shame. Laughing

Swamphen, I've heard time and time again that you can't beat the Plymouth Rock for a dual purpose heritage bird for both eggs and meat. Of course I'm a wee bit bias, as I love the breed. Smile I hope to put the eating part to test in the future and see for myself...though Chanteclers are looking pretty good about now.

6Heritage birds for meat? Empty Re: Heritage birds for meat? Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:24 pm

turkeylurkey

That's my experience with Chanteclers - not big and not really fast growing but make a nice carcass. Forgot to hatch many this year so have to put up with Buff Orpingtons, Light Brahmas, Silver Pencilled Wyandottes, etc. Taking a load to abattoir on Wednesday. But, all things considered, they sure taste better than the supermarket product!

http://www.guppy.ca

7Heritage birds for meat? Empty Re: Heritage birds for meat? Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Thanks for the input guys, Kathy, let me know what your Orpingtons dress out at? Though that roasted up Chantecler does look pretty darn prime. The easyist ones to get ahold of appear to be the Plymoths. Maybe next year there will be a bunch of zebra-chickens running around on the lawn Razz

8Heritage birds for meat? Empty Re: Heritage birds for meat? Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:17 am

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

* Note * Keep in mind not all Heritage dual purpose breeds have the growth rate or carcass size they were once cherished for due to years of poor selection.

Make sure the Breed you choose is from a true dual purpose line not a production (laying) line and that the breed is breeding for the meat traits.

I have found my Buff Chnateclers have great width arcoss their backs and large body and good growth rate. I am looking forward to butchering them and seeing what they taste like. But most of my Speckled Sussex are on the smaller side carcass and growth wise. Hope to fix that over a few years.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum