Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Almost ready for winter

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Almost ready for winter Empty Almost ready for winter Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:17 am

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Last week we took all the extra roosters to St Paul for processing. I am very happy with the service there and the look of the final product. We have plenty of nice looking chickens for the year in the freezer now! DH suggested I buy a cabinet incubator,"one of those big ones with the tilting shelves", for next year and some crates as if we are going we might as well make it a full load Shocked Here I thought 27 roosters and two turkeys was alot!

Yesterday we put a cement floor in the grow out coop. It will be ready for new chicks in the spring. Two roosters I kept for breeding next winter that are still using the coop were so funny last night. I kept them out all day for the cement to cure (cement cures, it does NOT dry my DH says Rolling Eyes ) and at dark I opened the door to let them in hoping they would not scratch up the floor (no straw down yet). Well both fellows were so polite, they flew from the door to the roost never even setting foot on that scary floor! I suspect they did the same this morning on the way out.

And we made our winter bedding yesterday. About 60 square straw bales all neatly staked in the shed. We did not have access to wheat or oat straw so it is itchy barley but the chooks don't mind and since moving up here I am getting used to it. I will tap into a bale today to test it out.

The weather remains beautiful which has made preparing for winter just so much easier. We are away for a few weeks (going to Germany!) and it is a nice feeling leaving knowing we are almost ready. Isn't fall a beautiful season?

2Almost ready for winter Empty Re: Almost ready for winter Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:34 am

gubi

You must have fed your husband one of those tasty EO cockerels to get him on board.
We are nowhere near ready for fall here. Viel vergnuegen in Deutschland.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum