Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

walnuts are ready

+2
uno
jocelyn
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1walnuts are ready Empty walnuts are ready Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:52 pm

jocelyn

The little tree behind the barn dropped its nuts yesterday, so out I went with the pail...got a gallon off the one tree, its first year bearing. The bigger trees dropped theirs too, but I haven't gathered them yet....too busy getting the blue paint out of my hair, grin. Painted the kitchen, well most of it, can't do behind the cupboards without help to move them. Turned into one of those blue haired old ladies. Blue socks too, and ....oh, well, latex paint, so it'll wash...
Blue looks kind of nice on the old brown pants, stiffens up the thread bare parts, grin. Still need to sand down the mended parts of the kitchen door, one sunken panel is cracked......should be nice when it's done though. 6 more trees to gather nuts from, hope I get them all before snow that stays...otherwise there will be a little forest of seedlings under them. I'd rather eat the nuts. Anybody else grow walnuts?

Jocelyn

2walnuts are ready Empty Re: walnuts are ready Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:07 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Do you ever pick them green and pickle them? Neighbour nearby is crazy for pickled green walnuts. I tried them once and they taste like pickled dirt. But he pays great bucks to have the nasty little things imported from far away.

Enjoy your nuts and painting. Blue ladies should always have some nuts laying around!

3walnuts are ready Empty Re: walnuts are ready Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:20 pm

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

LOL only you Uno.... pickled dirt.. hahaha I can just picture your face at that time Laughing

http://www.doublessranch.webs.com

4walnuts are ready Empty pickled dirt Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:49 am

jocelyn

pickled dirt, pickled turpintine, pickled quinine.........blahhh. Not for me, even hens won't eat them.

5walnuts are ready Empty Re: walnuts are ready Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:45 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh yummy!! You are very fortunate. My Sister, back on the coast has two English walnut trees, boy do they have beautiful walnuts. The fall before we moved, we got two buckets from her, dried them, and didn't eat them all. I forgot about them when we moved up here and had them in a back cupboard in our place. A couple of days ago I was going through some stuff and found them. Really thought that they would be awful!! But....opened up a few, ate a few and they taste just like they did when they were first dehydrated. Not sure how they can be so good, but boy am I happy. We have salad every night and I always load the salad with different kinds of nuts, mostly slivered almonds and sunflower seeds, now I have masses of walnuts I can use too. Me a lucky gal....you a lucky gal. My Sister has sold her house, moving in a week or so, that gift of walnuts from farm is now gone...but, she did tell me that she gathered ALL of what she had, dried them, and I bet she will have some for a long time to come too. Maybe I can trade peach salsa for some of her walnuts Very Happy , she is a giving soul, so I know she would love a trade. Hats off to the walnuts of this world!! Have a wonderful and beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Right, needed to mention, there is nothing nicer than the taste of walnuts that have been picked on your own property, just something really good about them Smile

6walnuts are ready Empty Re: walnuts are ready Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:53 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So, just out of curiosity, if I sent you some $$ for those nuts and some postage, would you be willing to put a box of those beauties in the mail for me. I have only ever had fresh walnuts once and they were really good....would love to have some again.

7walnuts are ready Empty walnuts Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:42 am

jocelyn

Yes, if you send 2 bucks for a bubble envelope and whatever the postage comes to, I'll send you a few. You could plant some at your place too, as they are still viable and good to zone 3.

Jocelyn

8walnuts are ready Empty walnuts off your own tree Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:50 am

jocelyn

Can't beat um, grin. Very satisfying to have your own. It takes 4 or 5 years for the first ones, then poor pollination weather can mean only blanks, so when you do get some, they are heaven. We eat granola every morning for breakfast, with walnuts, so we eat quite a few. I have butternuts bearing for the first time, the eastern white walnut, then some heartnuts, the Japanese walnuts, and one tree of English walnuts, the ones you get at Christmas, but I got one filled nut and 3 blanks...it's pretty young yet. That one filled nut was YUMMY. Like all farmers, "next year", always "next year"...the mantra of all hopefull planters, grin. There is one more English walnut up in the tree, so if it's a viable one, I'll plant it. (juglans regia)

9walnuts are ready Empty Re: walnuts are ready Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:09 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have tried to grow walnuts many times, but sadly, I am not in zone 3. At best I am in a zone 2b - maybe...

I was actually hoping you had enough to throw an ice cream pail or so in a box and mail them out to me....just for a taste! I will still pay for the nuts and postage if you have enough.

10walnuts are ready Empty walnuts Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:17 am

jocelyn

A gallon pail makes about a cup of shelled nutmeats.....perhaps a cup and a half...so I could send a bubble envelope in the shells, if you like, but I don't have as many as it sounded, grin. How about a butter tub full, about a litre, in the shells?

11walnuts are ready Empty Re: walnuts are ready Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:31 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

That would be amazing!! How high are trees when they start to produce? Could I train it to grow outward on a trellis like an apple and keep it in my greenhouse? It is not heated all year, but would offer some protection from the winter elements and maybe I could keep it alive that way? I would love to grow them. There is wild hazelnuts here though, but I don't know how to cure them so they taste good.

12walnuts are ready Empty walnuts Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:57 am

jocelyn

They are 5 or 6 feet tall when you get the first walnut or so. If you can grow wild hazels, then you can grow butternuts and perhaps their crosses with the japanese walnuts. How cold during the coldest part of winter, and how many days with temperatures above minus 5 are you? I might be able to beg a few of the really hardy seednuts from the Experamental Farm in Town. Let me know what your climate is like and I'll see who I can find on Friday.

13walnuts are ready Empty walnuts Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:39 pm

jocelyn

Bowker Acres, I've been to Town and gotten a few of the butternuts as well as the heart nuts off our own trees. I'm [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], should you want to send me your address for nuts.

14walnuts are ready Empty Re: walnuts are ready Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:21 pm

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Bowker Acres check McFayden in Brandon MB, they sell Walnut trees so they should grow in your area.

15walnuts are ready Empty walnuts Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:29 am

jocelyn

Here is a link for you to other nut growers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There are articles on many kinds of nut trees so just look around. The Japanese walnut does grow in the Peace River area, according to reports, but I can't speak to that, having been only as west as Ontario my self.

16walnuts are ready Empty Re: walnuts are ready Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:42 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So sorry, I am not ignoring you! I really appreciate all the info. My e-mail isn't working for some reason. Have been fighting with it for a couple of days. I would really appreciate a few nuts to try and grow! I will try to e-mail you again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum