Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bunny people need advice

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bunny people need advice Empty Bunny people need advice Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:49 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So my chicken keeper son decided he wanted a bunny. We're new to this and instead of an older bunny in need of a new home he picked a baby bunny. I'm not sure on age but she said it really shouldn't be rehomed until sept 5th but the mother already had a new litter. The lady was upset because when she'd bought the mother these babies were only 4days old and since she got them she'd been separated so she must have bred immediately after having these ones. They were pretty much rescues and I know nothing about bunny gestation or anything else but the little guy has pellet food, fresh water, hay and fresh dandelions and pasture grass in the cage. My worry is whether it needs something else at this young age. It doesn't seem to be relieving itself much is this normal? It has settled right in and has been eating at least the fresh stuff has been disappearing noticeably. It's clean, bright eyed and active. The lady said she'd just dewormed everyone the day before. Anyways, it's an adorable little lion head my son is so pleased with so I want to make sure we're doing everything right. I have to say though that she had some amazing huge flemish and WOW I loved them!! Thanx for any suggestions or tips Very Happy

added pic of Whisper the bunny
Bunny people need advice DSC05690

Last edited by SerJay on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Bunny people need advice Empty Re: Bunny people need advice Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:06 pm

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

Rabbit gestation is about 31 days give or take a few. They can and will breed immediately after having a litter. Which could potentially put you bunny at just over 4 weeks old. They shouldnt be weaned completely til 6 weeks, but I see no reason why your bunny wouldnt be perfectly ok on hay, grass and pellets and water. If he were starving you would notice right away. If you think he isnt peeing enough then pick him up and "stimulate" that area. He should pee while you are holding him, but I think he is old enough to go when he needs. Mama rabbits clean the babies like cats do to stimulate them in order for them to pee or poop but once their eyes are open around 10 days they are able to go on their own. Good luck with the bunny! They are so much fun Very Happy

Jaclyn

3Bunny people need advice Empty Re: Bunny people need advice Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:15 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ok than just needed to check! Thanx! We cut down some of the 7-8ft tall timothy just outside our front fence (horses can't reach it LOL) and made balls and tied grass logs for it to nibble on as well and it just had a couple little poops and went to town knawing on one. I just didn't want to miss something it may need and now I see the poops are tiny so are probably hard to see in the shavings Very Happy

4Bunny people need advice Empty Re: Bunny people need advice Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:43 pm

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

it is hard to see bunny peeing, very small amounts. Also, buns will eat the poop, very normal. GOOD LUCK!! Sounds like a healthy bun to me. Are you giving it rabbit pellets too? I prefer to water in a dish rather than the bottle.

http://LynBarRanch.com

5Bunny people need advice Empty Re: Bunny people need advice Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:13 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I've only ever known adult bunnies and it's obvious when it goes Smile. Makes sense though that a tiny baby would be harder to notice. Mostly just wanted to make sure we weren't missing something it needed at this age. It's not interested in the hay at all but eats lots of the fresh stuff. We have pellets as well but haven't caught him eating it and doesn't look like much is missing but then again tiny bunny so hard to tell. He was in a cage with the round ball hanging waterer so we tried something a bit different but the same Smile The plastic container stays on the outside of the cage and we can easily pop the lid add some water and close it up again because it's a push in end. I figured easier for my son to fill with less mess and it comes apart easy for a really good scrub when needed. Whisper figured it out really really fast and he has been drinking. Anyone else use this type of waterer?? We had a bowl with water the first night since we didn't have a waterer but I worry about shavings etc getting into it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum