Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Goin to the fair...

+8
nuthatch333
Fowler
rosewood
coopslave
Island Girl
Hidden River
BriarwoodPoultry
Giddyup
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Goin to the fair... Empty Goin to the fair... Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:26 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

...this weekend! Our wee little country fair. I'm entering 9 ducks. Hopefully there will be other ducks there as well, lol!! I'm hoping Matthew will bring some of his spotted ducks as he usually does, it will make a good size australian spotted duck class (hopefully, as they'll still separate them into colours). I have no idea what I have, nearly bringing everyone just to see how they do and hopefully get feedback. 7 spotted ducks and my two young saxonys. Can't complain for $9 in entries.

I'm also hoping to enter a photograph. Can't decide which one. Doh!

2Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:27 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hey! I'm going too! When are you taking your ducks? Should I take my 5 little chickens there the Friday night or Saturday morning? Eek I'm nervous! Razz

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

3Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

I'll likely take them Friday night. The morning I think will be too rushed and then they can get used to their digs overnight. They feed them there too. If I did morning they'd miss their breakfast here, and possibly there.
Maybe we'll get to meet up there!

I found some pics I like, there's only 3 so I'll suffer you guys with them. Is there a favorite among these?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Category would be "all creatures great and small"

4Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good luck at the fair. I personally like #9, looks like little froggy is sleeping in that one.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:00 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sounds like fun guys, which fair is this? You just never know who may drop in...
#9 is gorgeous!

XOX Monika

6Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:04 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great pictures. I like the first one. You are able to see the whole frog and I think the quality of his green is better in that one. There is more green in the background to support him as well. My second choice would be the middle picture. Let us know which one you pick.
Good luck with the chooks and photo!

7Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:08 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

Thanks all! Island Girl it's the Cobble Hill Fair. As quaint as you get, but I haven't been to Coombs yet, lol!

My fav is the last one, I think of little froggy in a rocky sea, the angles of the flowers and him etc.

I had considered cropping the green out of the first and last so thank you Coopslave for your input! Majority will rule the entry, most likely, so keep it coming!

This was also an idea for still life/textures or instead of froggy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

8Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:20 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Giddyup wrote:Thanks all! Island Girl it's the Cobble Hill Fair. As quaint as you get, but I haven't been to Coombs yet, lol!

My fav is the last one, I think of little froggy in a rocky sea, the angles of the flowers and him etc.

I had considered cropping the green out of the first and last so thank you Coopslave for your input! Majority will rule the entry, most likely, so keep it coming!

This was also an idea for still life/textures or instead of froggy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Giddy, a really tight crop might be interesting too. Have you done one to see what it would look like?

9Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:27 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Depends if you want him as a focal point or not. It is a lovley picture. The contrast of the blue and the green is so nice.

10Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:28 pm

All 3 are beautiful. I can't decide which I like more - the first or the third. The first, I might crop it vertically so that you still have some green and some of the other smaller unopened flowers over to the left of froggy, and have froggy just right of centre. The last one is like a little froggy ship on a turbulent sea... I might just crop it a little but it is a special little scene just as it is.

How nice that you captured those images. I have huge bullfrogs (or at least lumpish green froggish things) that live in my little pond and heat-bathe on my concrete walkway at night. They're very cool creatures. I love frogs!

Good luck, and do show us what you do with photos. I love looking at special pics like those.

11Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:23 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I lke the cropped picture in Coopslave's post the best. Of the three original I would go with the first (#9). In my opinion all three pictures have areas that are out of focus which often is desireable, but not in the way it is used here. Coopslave's picture makes the best use of the rule of thirds as the creature is 1/3 of the picture from the bottom and a 1/3 from the right side. The colours are lovely and the subject interesting.

12Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:30 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

My personal opinion would be to not crop. I like how the leaves are a bit out of focus but the flowers are crystal clear. It gives depth to the image. Plus, I didn't even see the frog at first so it made a nice little discovery.

I like #9 the best.

13Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:06 am

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Good luck at the fair.
I like all three, I not sure about the crop though. In the full sized pictures the frog looks so tiny hideing in the big flowers I think that is what makes it dramatic for me.

14Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:24 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:My personal opinion would be to not crop. I like how the leaves are a bit out of focus but the flowers are crystal clear. It gives depth to the image.

I agree. #9 all the way. Have fun at the fair and good luck! Very Happy

15Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:47 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love your photos, they are great!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

16Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:54 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

#9 gets my vote also, can you crop it so the little frog isn't right in the centre? Good luck at the fair, take some pictures for us.

17Goin to the fair... Empty Re: Goin to the fair... Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:52 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yup, I'm also voting for #9. I love how it causes your eye to keep returning to that tiny little froggy focal point!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum