Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mice, consider this fair warning!

+3
nuthatch333
coopslave
Blue Hill Farm
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mice, consider this fair warning! Empty Mice, consider this fair warning! Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:54 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

You’ve stolen my chicken’s food, pooped in their bedding, chewed up the walls, and brought fleas and who knows what else into my buildings for the LAST time. No more will you rule my mini-barn, nor will you continue to fool my sorry excuse for a cat. Because I am now the proud new builder of the Pail O Doom (tm pending tongue ) and you best be vacating my buildings or else this will be your fate…
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Scared yet? You should be! And to think there was a time I used to think you evil little pests were cute…but not anymore. Enough is enough. First trial run of the Pail O Doom will commence this evening at 1800 hours. Muwahaha! Twisted Evil

Directions for building more Doom: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and taking back outbuildings, one at a time. Wink

2Mice, consider this fair warning! Empty Re: Mice, consider this fair warning! Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:16 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you use a bit bigger pail and put water in the bottom of it (you may have that already, I can`t see in the pic) you will not have live micies to deal with.

We used to get the most amazing mouse plagues in Australia. I used to think they were cute to until I lived through my first one of those. Just makes my skin crawl thinking about it!!! Laughing

Good luck with the pail of doom. I look forward to hearing the results. Did you use peanut butter?

3Mice, consider this fair warning! Empty Re: Mice, consider this fair warning! Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:32 am

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have two cats one would think that would solve the problem. But they so enjoy playing with the mice, they put them in the bathtub and play with them all night, being very careful not to kill them. Twisted Evil I wake up to a filthy, bloody, crappy, fur laden bathtub with a little terrified mouse in it more often then you would believe. Last week it happened five times ,one morning two baby mice were huddled together in it awaiting their fate. I do put them out if they aren't to badly injured but I really wish these cats would just kill them.
They do get the mice, I will credit them for that, but they are like kids that do something good, but leave a big mess to be cleaned up. Hopefull they have cleaned out this nest and I will have a break from bathroom cleanup.

4Mice, consider this fair warning! Empty Re: Mice, consider this fair warning! Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:55 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I also use this system to `get` the mice around here. It is the best trap we have ever used, I saw the design on line and decided to build one. DH had that certain grin on his face the whole time I was building it, you know the one that says `really honey, you are wasting your time`. The first time I dumped it there were 8 mice in there. HA! I win! Now he is the one who ensures there is always fresh peanut butter on it!

XOX Monika

5Mice, consider this fair warning! Empty Re: Mice, consider this fair warning! Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:09 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Haha yes Island Girl my hubby gave me that same look but he indulged me and in the first 2 nights we 21 mice! We've found we made our coop so secure from predators that it has become a safe haven and buffet for the mice! We just used a pop can on a piece of rebar in a pail and then leaned a board up to the side so they have to hop over onto the can to get the tasty peanut butter and plop down into an inch or 2 of water. We found though that we could only use it at night since the hens would sit on the side of the pail and help themselves to peanut butter and we even found a couple eggs in there!! We tried it without water but didn't catch anything I think they can jump pretty high IDK. Good luck getting those mice Flicker Chick I love this trap it works so well and I don't have to worry about poison and only the mice get dead Twisted Evil

6Mice, consider this fair warning! Empty Re: Mice, consider this fair warning! Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:02 am

rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster

yes I must say that they work great, we leave one set up every time we leave the camps, you know the ones you hunt from so you are only there three or four times a year. It keeps trapping the whole time you are gone. I give them a big [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Reg.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

7Mice, consider this fair warning! Empty Re: Mice, consider this fair warning! Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:52 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Would this work with rats. . . ?

8Mice, consider this fair warning! Empty Re: Mice, consider this fair warning! Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:56 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I didn’t get home last night in time to set the Doom Pail up, so will be doing that this afternoon instead. These darn mice have me at my wits end but you’ve all given me hope the Pail will bring me final victory! Smile

Coopslave: I think it must be the angle of the pic because the pail is a 5 gal (not sure I have a bigger one kicking around) and has a 4 inch mixture of water and antifreeze in the bottom. I’m kind of rethinking the antifreeze though – will probably empty and just use water. Better safe than sorry. And yes, the coffee can is baited with irresistible peanut butter. Come and get it micies! Twisted Evil

"Mice plague" certainly does not paint a pretty picture. *shudder*

Nuthatch: Cats are notoriously bad for playing with their food. My parents have 3 large housecats and are forced to keep them locked outside/in the basement in the spring/summer because they insist on bringing their “catches” inside. The tub seems to be a favorite spot. Ugh!

Island Girl/Serjay: My hubby was rolling his eyes the whole time too. So now we have a bet going on whether or not the Pail will actually work. But I’ll be the one grinning when I win AND put a good dent in our mouse population. Then hubby will be the one baiting the can with fresh pb every night, ha ha!

Rowdyrooster: Just what I need. The mouse trap that keeps on working so I don’t have too. Wink

Ipf: Good question. Rats are a lot smarter than mice, so might have to modify the design a bit. You’d need a bigger pail for sure. In my search to find a safe way to rid my mini-barn of mice I came across a “drastic method” for killing rats that is non-toxic to most humans and fairly cheap.

Rat Rock Recipe: Mix 1 part peanut butter to 1 part plaster of paris. Add olive oil (not water) until it's a thick paste. Roll into balls and toss under coop and anywhere else nice animals can't reach. (that’s the part that made me leary) Add easy access water pans around the area to hasten the effect.

How it works: the plaster of paris pulls the moisture from their body when it is consumed, making rat rocks. They can't pass it and die from dehydration, lack of being able to poo and eat, etc. Good luck!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum