Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

guess who showed up yesterday

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1guess who showed up yesterday Empty guess who showed up yesterday Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:06 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, the hen that went missing came for water when I was filling the waterers up yesterday. She must have been sitting and somewhere that she could see me. I would say there is a good clutch somewhere cause I thought I was missing some eggs for a while.
If I knew were it was, I would have considered letting her try, or if it was another hen, but I locked her back in and she will have to get over it in the next few days. You were all correct about her sitting somewhere. Very Happy
I am so glad she is home!

Just a bit on an update on the hatch from hell. I didn't tell you that as the eggs were in the incubator, the sun got on them and they went to 103. I could hear this sound in the house and wondered what it was, it was the alarm on my incubator going off!!! I had never heard it before. Then a week later the power went off for 6 hours and the eggs were cold. That is when I moved them to the broody. 9 of the 11 that were developing, hatched and then the bloody broody started to attack them. I saved 4 and lost 4 and had to put one down because its leg was broken. At least I have 4 happy, healthy cute chicks. I am still so mad at that hen!

2guess who showed up yesterday Empty Re: guess who showed up yesterday Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:12 am

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Glad to hear your hen showed up.

3guess who showed up yesterday Empty Re: guess who showed up yesterday Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:23 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh yay! That's great news your nice hen came home. Very Happy

Yeah, I'd be fuming too. And bad-broody would be in the soup pot. (or on route thereabouts) Congrats on your fab four though!

4guess who showed up yesterday Empty Re: guess who showed up yesterday Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:31 am

cheers cheers cheers Yayy!!! I'm so happy for you. Things are looking up. sunny

I would get rid of that hen too, the broody. Stew! Or at least to a home that won't hatch any babies out of her, or using her to brood. She's a meany!

5guess who showed up yesterday Empty Re: guess who showed up yesterday Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:06 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I once had a hen with a goodly clutch hidden off in the woods. She reappeared periodically, so one day I just watched and waited and followed her back to her nest. Then after dusk we went out with a cat cage with a nice straw nest in, and moved her and her eggs into it; a couple of weeks later she hatched 12 chicks out of 12 eggs! Best mum ever.

6guess who showed up yesterday Empty Re: guess who showed up yesterday Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Glad you found your nice hen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum