Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

No experience, would like to show! (chickens & Eggs)

+4
Blue Hill Farm
rosewood
nuthatch333
BriarwoodPoultry
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well, last night I sat down and looked at the fair schedule and contemplated entering a few of my birds into two of the fall fairs this year. It doesn't cost much to enter and if I can get over my fear and nervousness about having my birds on display where who-knows-what-might-happen-to-them, I would like to put a few of them in.

Now, I know how to look up how to bathe them, etc, I should be ok with that. Can you get everything you need at the pet store? I have the whitening shampoo but I think there was something about a glycerol rinse or something to make them shiney?

On the entry form, it asks for a leg band #. I don't have my birds banded with numbers, only colors to differentiate lines. Is this ok? Do I need a numbered band to show?

I have a nice cockeral who hatched mid-spring. Is he too young to show? He is a very nice, typey boy, but probably smaller then older examples of the breed.

Also, how does one go about showing eggs? Is there a place for marans eggs? Do they go in with brown eggs? How do they judge them? They ask for a basket of no less then 18 and no more then 30, it will take me a week to collect that many, are they judged on freshness?

Hm... what else?

Oh ! How do I enter a black copper marans? Are they in the AOV category? What about blue laced red wyandottes, since they aren't a 'recognized' breed can they be shown?

Ok I think that's it. Sorry for the ramblings.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

You and I are in the same boat, I am going to try and enter a few this Dec in the Red Deer show.
From what I have heard from others, you just have to take the plunge. What is the worst that can happen,horror of horrors you get disqualified, BUT you learn lots, and meet lots of nice people.[b]
I think what intimidates me most is not knowing the procedures. I am looking forward to the seminar on Aug 13 it will answer many questions.
You have a lot of experience here to draw on.

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I asked the question about leg banding because it is not required by our local show. The answer I received that this is a requirement for birds like pigeons rahter than poultry.

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I would love to go to the seminar in August, but I'm busy with my practicum and can't make it out to Red Deer for it. Sad

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Showing sounds like it would be my kinda fun. Smile Not to mention a wonderful learning experience all around. I say go for it! I’d love to try myself, but first I must grow a worthy bird, which is my work in progress. Wink

If you find out you do need a number, you could always use a black felt on your coloured bands and voila, your numbered!

I'm real curious about the eggs too. I imagine they'd be judged on colour, size, etc, according to breed standard. Anyone know for sure?

Giddyup

Giddyup

The Cobble Hill Fair was a great one to get our feet wet. And it's usually first too. Never been asked about leg bands so the pigeon thing makes sense. I'm trying to get brave and go for the Cow. Ex. as well.

The downside we experienced was that although it was stated clearly that sick or liced birds would be removed...they were not. We had a horrid looking, unhealthy, lice infested open-sored roo above ours the whole time (and we came home with lice). So, exposing your birds is always a risk, whether they inspect the birds or not at caging time.

Because of this my chickens will likely stay home, but the ducks will go as I find them much hardier.

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's awful Giddyup. You'd think sick/unhealthy looking birds wouldn't be allowed in the door, much less judged. Shame on that owner!

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I was planning a pre-emptive Eprinex before we went to the show... because I sure want to avoid that!! Yuck-o.

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We had a rooster we had sold at the show the previous year show up one year with lice. It was disqualified and removed from the show, but we had to treat our chickens. As their reward for going to the show they spent the next 3 weeks in the garden outside. The up side was that there was some delicious cleaning up neede in the garden.

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh you have to take the plunge! I did last year entering my d'uccles and some utility layers in the IPE ( armstrong fair) Last year. I knew nothing about bathing or preparation of any kind. I just packaged them up and 3 dozen eggs and off we went! They also said in the program that the birds had to be banded and some were and some were not. I asked when I got there if I could purchase bands and they said not to worry it was not really manditory. Well I was pleasently suprised that my little d'uccle roo was reserve champion feather leg type out of all the silkies and chochin bantams! One of my layers was champion utility layer. It was so much fun. The people were fantastic and had lots if info to share. I made my entries back with the prize money and overall had a great time. I believe the eggs are judge based on grading standards. They are looking for grade A type so it would be size, shape, uniformity of colour etc. I dont think freshness counts as I started collecting bantam eggs in july and entered them at the end of august. The brown eggs I kept swaping out eggs as I collected everyday to make sure they were fairly uniform.

Well long story short my son and I are going to the chilliwack fair this weekend comming up and the IPE again. We are hooked!

Good luck and have fun!

Anne

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

ars800

ars800

HI Briarwood,

I think anyone in the Cowichan Feather Fanciers would be able to help you out or give you advice. I know at the last meeting they did a bit of a demo on getting birds ready.

If you need some contact information let me know.

http://www.islandpoultry.com/

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Entering Birds in Shows is important to do as it not only Supports the Hobby, but also is a great way to learn more about your birds from an experinced and qualified person.

As for bathing them there is some good posts/info on bathing birds for show on the internet.

Make sure you bath the birds in quite warm (almost hot yet comfortable for you to keep your hands in). The warmer the water the less struggle with the birds.

Most everything you can find at a pet store. It is beneficial to do a gyserine rinse after your vinegar rinse to replace the oils back on the feathers. Gyserine can be found in any health food store.

Your classes are split by sex and age, so cockerels and pullets under a year and mature hens and cock birds over a year.

Leg Bands #'s at most shows mainly are just for the Pigeon entries. But if you do have #ed leg bands it will aviod any bird mix ups. Not needed at most shows though for poultry entries.

For a summer or fall show most likely he just doesn't have the size and maturity. Remember that the judge is figuring these birds under a year are all close in age aroung 10 to 11 1/2 months old. On large fowl breed size is important so if the size and maturity isn't there maybe wait for a later show. Bantam breeds as long as they have the proper maturity a tad young might not be as big of an issue.

I would take ars800 advice to ask a member of the poultry club putting on the show for some help.

Can't really help with the Egg show? The BLRW since not reconized variety they will compete in their variety only (as far as I understand). As for the they would compete in the Any Other Standard Variety (i think?).

Remember that showing your birds is Fun! So just do your homework, bath and prep your bird/s and then once you cage them at the show take a breath and enjoy the event. Judges usually have no problem going throught your birds or answering some questions you have. Also many other exhibtiors will be able to share some of their advice.

So make sure your bird is healthy with a good weight, pest free with a good pest care routine, try to make it as stress free on the birds as possible by cage training them before the show.

Also keep in mind judging processing is looking at your bird at one point in time, as their feather conditons improve/degrade, weight changes, competition changes as does how your bird places.

Don't worry about if your bird doesn't place well or gets disqualified as it has happen to all of us at one point in time. Even the experts as we all start somewhere. If your bird does get disqualified nothing happens to it you still get to take it home at the end of the show!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum