Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

No need for an SOP to have show quality chickens...

+8
triplejfarms
coopslave
appway
islandgal99
Schipperkesue
authenticfarm
Piet
call ducks
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I don't own a SOP and have not looked in one or opened one in at least five years. I sold seven chicks to a local fellow this spring he took one down to the fall classic and it took champ. English. First time in 3+ years ( I can only go back three years in show results) something other than an australorp won.

So this goes to prove focus on production and you won't need an SOP. I personally have looked at the picture of her and while I think she is OK. It's different to be a breeder of chickens that have won at shows. While I did not show it and I do not own it, I can still say I bred it Smile

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well great for you, but i hate to burst your bubble when there is no competition its easy to win! It goes to show that luck goes a long way rather than you do not need to know the breed standard for the breed you raise and sell as such..

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congratulations on the win! Was it an APA show or a more local event? I am not familiar with the names of the shows in the east.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, congratulations, but you must have a good memory of the SOP to know all those disqualifications found within. Most people who haven't opened an SOP are in danger of being DQed for breeding split wing, or crooked keel, or vulture hocks, or white earlobes or.......

Sure their chickens are beautiful and healthy, but it can be a hard slap in the face to enter a show without knowing your standard!

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Congrats Callducks - great job! You are clearly doing something right. cheers 

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congrats to the breeder and the owner
I looked the show up and looks like they
Get some good entry's  the winners from last
Year looked great  will watch for the results
For this year  
What breed

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just saw the winners that is a nice Light Sussex hen

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Piet wrote:Well great for you, but i hate to burst your bubble when there is no competition its easy to win! It goes to show that luck goes a long way rather than you do not need to know the breed standard for the breed you raise and sell as such..
Seriously? You think luck has to do with breeding a good Sussex. Sorry I have have to laugh. HA. And Thank you the judge said this bird was one of the nicer ones he has seen.

authenticfarm wrote:Congratulations on the win! Was it an APA show or a more local event? I am not familiar with the names of the shows in the east.
APA event (at least the last time I attended)

appway wrote:Just saw the winners that is a nice Light Sussex  hen
Thank you. I am going over to the owners place tomorrow to have a good look at the pullet (make sure I can fit three of my fingers in between her pelvic bones, see how long the keel is and such).

I must add... I don't and never well breed to a SOP. This why I don't own one ( I think the idea to select for phenotypes alone to be superficial... Not saying there's anything wrong with it. Just saying it I see no value haha). Personally I think the angle of her tail is off. It might be the way she is standing. I know they got favorable comments at the Petitcodiac show last month as well.

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi Call Duck, I am just dumbfounded once again by someone who is against breeding to sop, while it is the only thing that holds our purebreeds correct and in place. I can tell that you do not own a standard, because phenotype and productivity do go hand in hand and the sop is not at all about only breeding a good looking bird. If we were all like you then we would end up with a nice potluck of chicken types that have no more breed type. You can thank the people who do breed to sop later when you need new stock again.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you have never read any of the Standards, how do you know what the tail angle should be???
Tail angle is purely about defining type and has nothing to do with productivity. A bird with any angle tail can be productive as far as eggs or eating goes. Surely if you are not breeding to SOP things like feather and tail angle should be of not interest.

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

first of all congrats call ducks!  cheers 

scratch now why are people getting their panties in a knot over this? he is simply stating a point that it is possible for someone who isnt a show breeder to sell birds to someone and they WIN at a APA show and not only win but take champion english!..... i have even heard of tales of some  "gasp" hatchery birds winning at shows Shocked  ...thats all... relax... Wink  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

This brings mixed feelings to me...from a Dutch "show" family...and a Scottish "show" family. From my mother's side(imagination) "A talented eye is better then a bible".
If i feel too self righteous about what i'm doing.....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congrats Smile

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

k.r.l