Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens

+5
HigginsRAT
coopslave
Dark Wing Duck
triplejfarms
Schipperkesue
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Mon May 21, 2012 10:07 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, Cynthia, I know you are reading this with interest.

One of my black Cochin chicks is already showing Vulture Hock feathers. Of the 10 I hatched last year there was none of this. I have a couple questions for our show people and non show people.

Will this change as they grow? I am inclined to doubt it.

Does anyone know someone who would like to grow out some pretty barnyard layers or soup roosters but have no plans to breed? This fault, although not life threatening, is definitely genetic and a disqualifying fault in this breed.

If no one wants some pretty farm chickens, and my above question is answered 'no', then their life expectancy is very limited.

2Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Mon May 21, 2012 10:35 am

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

thats why i got rid of mine... its very hard to get rid of as well.... sucks.. at least you can spot it when they are babies liiks like shields on the back of their hocks LOL

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

3Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Mon May 21, 2012 11:05 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have heard of this, but I don't know what it is! Can someone show some pictures of this for comparison?

4Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Mon May 21, 2012 11:08 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Correctly hocked birds may occasionally produce this anomaly, but the ones that already have them should not be bred since that is what you will usually get.

TripleJ, I remember your Silver Laced quandary. I am glad you chose not to breed them.

5Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Mon May 21, 2012 11:12 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

DWD, scroll about half way down this page and you will see vulture hocks in a Mille Fleur, a breed that must have vulture hocks according to the APA.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

6Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Mon May 21, 2012 11:17 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ohhhh I see! It's almost like wing feathers growing from their drum sticks!

7Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Mon May 21, 2012 12:45 pm

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

it is they look funny when they are young, lol here is on my previous pullet she also has twisted wing feathers... Sad they are so pretty but so full of faults

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

8Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Tue May 22, 2012 11:57 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is great to see so many people becoming aware of the various faults. Positive news for chickens everywhere!

9Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Tue May 22, 2012 12:12 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree. Being educated and aware is a powerful thing.

10Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Tue May 22, 2012 2:46 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

11Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Tue May 22, 2012 2:54 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you for your correction on this detail.

12Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Tue May 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is great to see so many people becoming aware of the various faults. Positive news for chickens everywhere!

Hmmm, don't know how this got posted twice!

Last edited by Schipperkesue on Tue May 22, 2012 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

13Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Tue May 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Sebas49

Sebas49

A note of caution when dealing with vulture hocks. Some breeds show more vulture hocks when young and don't have their adult feathers in. Lots of the first set of feathers are narrow and stiff on birds. When they get their adult feathers, especially with Cochins, they will widen out and get much softer. Large Cochins have more of a tendency to show vulture hocks then bantams because the large bird seems to have more height in proportion then bantams. Vulture hocks show up when the breed or variety is new and not bred for a long time to weed this fault out.

http://www.c-rducks.com

14Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Tue May 22, 2012 5:24 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm not able to see the whole picture unfortunately.
Are the hock feathers stiff like wing feathers when you touch them, Sue? I haven't had any Cochins with this particular fault, but it's definitely good to know what to look for.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

15Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Tue May 22, 2012 7:16 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sebas49 wrote:A note of caution when dealing with vulture hocks. Some breeds show more vulture hocks when young and don't have their adult feathers in. Lots of the first set of feathers are narrow and stiff on birds. When they get their adult feathers, especially with Cochins, they will widen out and get much softer. Large Cochins have more of a tendency to show vulture hocks then bantams because the large bird seems to have more height in proportion then bantams. Vulture hocks show up when the breed or variety is new and not bred for a long time to weed this fault out.

You have given me hope, Rico! Thank- you!

I didn't see this on the chicks last year, so I wondered and worried.

Yes, Kathy, they are pretty stiff, not like that fluffy stuff that makes up Cochin bums.

16Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Tue May 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sebas49 wrote:A note of caution when dealing with vulture hocks. Some breeds show more vulture hocks when young and don't have their adult feathers in. Lots of the first set of feathers are narrow and stiff on birds. When they get their adult feathers, especially with Cochins, they will widen out and get much softer. Large Cochins have more of a tendency to show vulture hocks then bantams because the large bird seems to have more height in proportion then bantams. Vulture hocks show up when the breed or variety is new and not bred for a long time to weed this fault out.

You have given me hope, Rico! Thank- you!

I didn't see this on the chicks last year, so I wondered and worried.

Yes, Kathy, they are pretty stiff, not like that fluffy stuff that makes up Cochin bums.

17Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:57 pm

Buff

Buff

Wondering if they being large fowl cochins can have stiffer feathers on the hock but not the length to them? These shorter stiffer feathers blend in with the fluffy feathers. Is this expectable and not consider vulture hock? I'm hoping someone maybe able clarify.

18Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:29 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I always go for the grope. If I feel hard shafts, in adult birds, it is VH, no matter the length and blending into the other feathers. However there are different degrees of stiffness.

19Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:12 am

Sebas49

Sebas49

Some Vulture hock feathers will blend in but if they are stiff feathers they are vulture hocks and will become a problem. The Cochin feathers should be soft with no stiffness. Normally if you stiff main tail feathers you will have some form of vulture hocks.

http://www.c-rducks.com

20Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:38 am

Buff

Buff

Thank you I didn't even think to look at stiffness in the tail feathers but defenently be checking for that as well. It is big learning curve with what is accepted and correct. I will just keep checking them and doing my best. I'm hoping to have some in the CHB show in November.

21Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Empty Re: Vulture Hocks on Show Cochin Chickens Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:15 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

A fine issue for sure to be totally aware of, that has not shown its head around here in a couple of years, and hopefully will not, but always on the look out for any vulture hocks for surely. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum