Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Delete and edit abuse.

+7
Fowler
ipf
DCChick
ars800
Blue Hill Farm
coopslave
uno
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Delete and edit abuse. Empty Delete and edit abuse. Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:27 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by uno on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:06 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very interesting Uno. I read this nodding my head in agreement. Then I began thinking about the opposite case (as I always seem to do) where a person has been intentionally mean spirited or downright abusive. This is were I think a grey area begins. Should that mean there is a right to remove?

I never have that spirit in mind when I say things, but I think my manner and abrupt way of communicating can sometimes be taken that way. So how do we decide what is ment to be nasty and what does not have that intention behind it?

I am also not one just to be nice, to be nice. If I say something or do something nice it is because I truly mean it. I really hate nicey, nice just for the sake of it.

So I think on a whole I agree with you. If I don't like what someone says I can choose not to read their posts, which I do sometimes (more on another site than here). I appreciate different points of view and enjoy debate. I would never think to remove a person's opinion or comments as that is part of who they are (as long as they are genuine comments). I think people can use words to intentionaly to hurt and I am not a fan of that. I also used to fight to be right, but have mellowed with age I think and accept that not everyone should see the world as I do.

As usual you have posted an interesting and thought provoking post. Thanks for giving us a chance to voice what we think of it. Very Happy

3Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:52 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you, Coopslave. I think that in certain cases if your intentions were misread, then questions should be asked. Before you are judged guilty by the 'edit power' you should at least be given the opportuity to clarify and explain, to clear up inadvertant misunderstandings. (again, this was not really about other sites, because to be honest a lot of wrestling DID go on that wasn't deleted or edited)

I realize that public forums open to debate need to be policed for trolls, which I think are people who cause trouble for the sheer pleasure of it.(that's what the teen told me, I always thought trolls lived under bridges and came out to bother goats) That is different than voicing an opinion that contradicts the 'ruler' or WORSE, questionning the judgement of the ruler and finding yourself told to shove off or fall in line.

I would love it if I could manipulate my world to have it reflect everything just the way I'd like it to be. But that is not me. That is not real. I am horribly, horribly imperfect. BUt I try always to be good and do the right thing. I try not to hurt people. I attempt to differ with grace and humour, not always successfully. I was deeply hurt, to be honest, with my friend who is more concerned with his image, with appearing a certain way, and him snuffing me out to do so.

I see a parallel between the delete button that removes a perceived problem and a firing squad. Boom, gone, no problem. Looks neat and tidy but something ugly lurks if the intent of the deleter cannot withstand public scrutiny.

Last edited by uno on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

4Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I’m nodding here too because I do agree with a lot of what’s been said.

I think editing/deleting another person’s posts just because you don’t like/or agree with their expressed view point is the beginning of a very slippery slope. Usually when I witness this happen, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. (This does not include mean spirited/abusive comments, though honestly I’ve rarely seen anyone resort to that. Not saying it doesn’t happen. Maybe I’m just lucky to know such cool peeps. Wink )
Personal perception and diversity are what make our world colourful and interesting. If you can’t deal with the fact not everyone is going to see things your way, well that sucks for you. Erasing what was said doesn’t change the fact it was said, no matter how much some may wish it.

And I’m sorry your old friend was such an ass uno. The way he acted (or reacted rather) was immature at best. Unfortunately people don’t always change for the better…

PS, I always thought trolls lived under bridges too until I joined an online gamers forum. Now I know better! LOL

5Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:39 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

To Coopslave and Flicker Chick, my apologies!! You will see that I have removed my original post. The more I thought about it, while the premise and topic are dear to my heart, the more I was mortified that I had put this out there for the world to see. What a boob I am! I had gone to town and drove home with a growing sense of urgency that I had to get this drivel of mine OFF the airwaves!

However...it appears that this forum does not have a 'delete your own post', button. Ironic considering the topic! I hope you two will forgive me for leaving your posts hanging in limbo. This is a very worthwhile topic, but wish I had approached it with some of the more personal stuff left out. I am embarrassed. Embarassed

6Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:52 pm

ars800

ars800

A very interesting thread. I think in this era of social networking (and I use that term loosely), people seem to think it's OK to just ignore what people have to say, or worse to censor or delete their comments.

The need for instant gratification and approval is a little frightening. People are creating their online personas in the image that they choose, not really who they are and have a bit of a distorted view of social interaction. If you want to see a good example, have a look at the new Toyota Venza ads, I think they're a great view on what the "older" generation thinks social interaction is vs a newer generation.

When your idea of reality comes from an online identity, it leaves me to question why you would need to do something like that in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-online networking or think "kids" are crazy these days. I spend a lot of time in front of a computer and have to deal with issues very much like this.

It just seems that it's become a bit too easy to just ignore people or delete them, especially when we don't have to face them in real life. Perhaps one day people will realize this, maybe one day we'll recognize we leave many footprints in our life. Let's just hope the footprints we leave aren't on someone's back.

http://www.islandpoultry.com/

7Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:53 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

You can delete someone else's post?

8Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:37 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

No, no, regular members can't delete anyone else's post here on this site (when I tried I couldn't figure out how to delete my own, although I kind of removed it, which is why this thread probably doesn't make much sense anymore)

Originally this thread was about the power to delete or edit someone else's post/ comments. I was complaining about someone doing this to me on FaceBook but I realized I sounded like a big, whiney baby so I removed my post. Expecting the removal of my first, original post to remove the whole thread, but that didn't happen. Now we just have this mess, which doesn't make much sense anymore.

9Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:44 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

. . . but it sure piques everyone's curiosity!

10Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:00 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is incredibly frustrating to have your thoughts removed.

11Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:45 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Blah, I missed what you said, all I see is an empty text box, bleh!! Have a great day, CynthiaM.

12Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:14 am

Last edited by reneggaide on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

13Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:14 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

No need to apologize Uno. I’m sure we all can relate to having done the same thing at some time or another. I know I can. Embarassed

maybe one day we'll recognize we leave many footprints in our life. Let's just hope the footprints we leave aren't on someone's back.

^Nicely said ars800.

I’m the exact opposite reneggaide. I’ve left all kinds of laundry thrown about the internet, though I would never dream of doing so in someone else’s house. As for making idiotic comments, I’m guilty of making those too. Probably more often than I realize. Heh. My sense of humour goes from dry to whacky and sometimes I don’t think that translates well online. I try to use smilies to compensate, because number one, I like smilies. Smile And number two, smilies make more smiles. Very Happy Riiight? Razz

14Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:26 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

FC, I am like you, I just leave it all out there. I do try to think about things before I post but sometimes I do it in a bit of a heat of the moment. Sometimes I go away and come back and if I still want to post I do. I usually leave what I say, even if it embarrasses me a little. Don't worry, I embarrass myself with what I say out loud all the time so I suppose I am used to it! I guess I am just not a deleter.

My sense of humour goes from dry to whacky and sometimes I don’t think that translates well online. I try to use smilies to compensate, because number one, I like smilies. And number two, smilies make more smiles. Riiight?

This sounds very familiar, I wonder why? Rolling Eyes

Uno, do not apologise for 'editing' your first post. Look at all the great discussion it has inspired anyways! I like hearing other peoples points of view. When they are the same as mine I don't feel so unusual and when they are different it helps me broaden my view a bit.

15Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:29 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

uno wrote:No, no, regular members can't delete anyone else's post here on this site (when I tried I couldn't figure out how to delete my own, although I kind of removed it, which is why this thread probably doesn't make much sense anymore)

Originally this thread was about the power to delete or edit someone else's post/ comments. I was complaining about someone doing this to me on FaceBook but I realized I sounded like a big, whiney baby so I removed my post. Expecting the removal of my first, original post to remove the whole thread, but that didn't happen. Now we just have this mess, which doesn't make much sense anymore.

Well, this topic about nothing certainly has people talking so it can't be bad Wink

16Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:38 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Talking and reading DCChick! 180 views with no origional post!!! Laughing

17Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:45 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

cheers

18Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

And the count continues to rise! cyclops

19Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:00 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here I go again...someone please slap me!

My original thought was prompted by a friend removing my comments from his FaceBook page. I was deeply disturbed by this and I couldn't figure out why. I realized that his FB page is not about his life. It's about painting a portrait of how he wants us to think his life is. It is an artifically contrived movie set where everything is scripted. It turns out I was his friend only as long as I spoke the lines I was expected to speak, when I was expected to speak them. I did not get that I wasn't supposed to be real and honest. I was, however, supposed to be artifical and contrived. When he'd post something meaningful, profound and deep, all the other players would say, thank you for sharing, your thoughtfulness has lifted my darkness. Another Yes Man would say, I am grateful for how you make the world a better place. I would say, do you still get stinky feet if you wear acrylic socks? AND HE'D DELETE THAT! Shocked

I cannot wrap my head around what, to me, is a monster case of dishonesty. Good lord, what is the world coming to when you can't laugh at yourself and admit yes, we get stinky feet, we have bad hair days and sometimes we're just normal, stupid, annoying people and often the world is NOT better because of us, but we'll get up tomorrow and try and do a better job ? So I didn't fit in with the profound, brilliant, spiritually enlightened, found the right path types that he surrouns himself with. I have known him since we were young teens. I have struggled to hang onto this relationship for YEARS, and I was so hurt by how casually he snuffed me out. Made me gone. Got rid of me. Would he have thought twice had it required a gun and a trigger? His excuse was it's HIS FB page and he can ahve it look anyway he wants and my 'clever' comments don't need to be shared just because I think they're clever. WOW....I think your ego is blocking the sun because I just felt the temperature drop to zero.

Now you heard me be a whiney baby. The post was prompted by hurt feelings. But I think the offense of removing a voice so we are un-opposed is very, very dangerous. Humans need to be held accountable, we need checks and balances, we need friends who know our feet stink. The delete button gives us the terrilbe power to construct a truth that isn't true. It is lethal and terrifying in its scope.

20Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:51 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, I am so glad you posted again. I don`t think it is whiny when someone expresses feelings of hurt or frustration. Just as I don`t think it is gloating when someone expresses happiness or they are proud of something. Feelings are good and I think sometimes we are encouraged to suppress them so we are not taken the wrong way.

I am also glad you reposted because I felt so bad that you deleted yourself after your heart felt post about being deleted!

By the way, I love your stinky feet type comments, that is why I can never resist reading your posts!! Laughing

21Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:46 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:I wasn't supposed to be real and honest. I was, however, supposed to be artifical and contrived. When he'd post something meaningful, profound and deep, all the other players would say, thank you for sharing, your thoughtfulness has lifted my darkness. Another Yes Man would say, I am grateful for how you make the world a better place. I would say, do you still get stinky feet if you wear acrylic socks? AND HE'D DELETE THAT! Shocked

I cannot wrap my head around what, to me, is a monster case of dishonesty. Good lord, what is the world coming to when you can't laugh at yourself and admit yes, we get stinky feet, we have bad hair days and sometimes we're just normal, stupid, annoying people and often the world is NOT better because of us, but we'll get up tomorrow and try and do a better job ? So I didn't fit in with the profound, brilliant, spiritually enlightened, found the right path types that he surrouns himself with.

You have just outlined why the vast majority of people are on Facebook. We joined foolishly thinking that it was for keeping in touch. Don't get me wrong. It is very useful for that and we can share news with relatives across Canada.

But we have found that the greater number of people use Facebook as a Billboard. They don't want to keep in touch. They want an advertisement saying "look how wonderful I am". Our interactions have become more limited to conversing with close relatives. There is only so much that you can gush about another person's life and have no reciprocation. (thinking "Yeah I said you had a cute kid but you couldn't be bothered to say it about MY kid? Pi$$ off! I take it back!" lol! )

22Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:49 am

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

oh Uno! I have missed you! Stay in contact somehow cheers

23Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:42 pm

clucky

New Here

I think it must be human nature to attempt to present oneself as one would like to be - and some express that nature more profoundly than others. Facebook gives those people the opportunity to edit and delete what they don't like about their lives. Don't we all wish that we had an edit/delete/escape button for some of the crazy/stupid things we've done or said in the past?

Wow, I just worked up a sweat typing this post! It's over 35 degrees here in Ont. today. I think my brain has been fried.

24Delete and edit abuse. Empty Re: Delete and edit abuse. Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:48 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Try and stay cool clucky.
I guess that's why facebook has never been a favourite place for me to go, I don't feel like I am important enough to tell everyone what I am doing everyday. Uno good for you, you can tell it like it is.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum