Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness

+4
Hidden River
cbrookkelly
Dan Smith
Fowler
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Empty Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:03 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

So my turkey that I have been trying to breed, went broody. I just let her go, there was too much else going on to keep the incubator going between work and my Aunt passing away.

Amazing how fast it was. I haven't mentioned it on here before but the speed was the most disturbing part of her illness. 6 months ago she was fine. She started getting stomach pain in late spring. Doctor did the blood screening and there was no sign of cancer so he started checking out other things. Finally did an MRI and she already had spots on her liver and pancreas (inoperable). At that point they said 6 months to a year. They tried some chemo (I suppose to try and buy her some more time) but when they checked again, it had grown, so they stopped. At that point, they said 2 to 3 months. A few weeks later her liver failed and she passed. The good thing was that she didn't suffer too much because I know how bad liver failure can get. Enjoy your time. Never know how much we've got left.

Anywho, because of all of this, I just left the turkey to go broody. She came off yesterday but her eggs were, once again, infertile. No, she came off because it turns out that a wyandotte was laying in her nest and she hatched 3 chicks. 2 were already dead. Third was cold but alive so I gave it to a broody cochin. Then THAT idiot managed to lose it in a corner and it was dead this morning. There were also some cool eggs in there. I gave them to another broody cochin so we'll see but I'm not expecting anything.

Mr. Turkey had better stop strutting and do his job or he'll be invited to dinner.

2Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Empty Re: Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:35 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am sorry to hear about your Aunt and I know these things can be very upsetting but that is no reason to try to breed a turkey. lol!

3Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Empty Re: Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:52 am

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh Fowler. I am so sorry about your Aunt. She will be in your heart forever, remember all the good times.

The dumb turkey will get it right next year. :

Kelly

4Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Empty Re: Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:54 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler I am sorry for your aunt, I really wish there was a better way to test for cancer to help people detect it before it is too late. I am sure you will enjoy the memories of your aunt for years to come.
And your turkey, well hopefully they get this stuff figured out soon.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Empty Re: Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:51 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very sorry to hear about your Aunt. Loss is difficult, it can make everthing else in life very taxing for awhile.

6Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Empty Re: Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:24 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I guess we all know that our elders are going to pass before us. I feel worst for her granddaughter. She isn't even 6 yet and now she won't know her Grandmother growing up.

But I can't do anything about it, so I concentrate on what I can do.

Like pluck a turkey. lol!

7Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Empty Re: Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:42 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry about your Aunt. It's staggering. We fool ourselves and like to think we're in control, right until it becomes obvious we are not. But there are some, few things we are in control of, like turkeys who walk the walk but don't talk the talk. We are in control of plucking!

8Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Empty Re: Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:53 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler, I’m so sorry to hear about your Aunt. That dreaded C word is a horrible thing.

I hope the pluck works and Mr.Tom sorts his stuff out before meeting the pot.

9Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Empty Re: Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:59 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Flicker Chick wrote:I hope the pluck works and Mr.Tom sorts his stuff out before meeting the pot.

I think Fowler was talking about a more fatal plucking than you are! Laughing

10Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Empty Re: Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:58 am

Sorry to hear about your aunt , I had one pass in the same manner a few years ago and it's hard to grasp when it happens so fast .As for the turkey ? hope that gets better for you as well .

11Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Empty Re: Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:03 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Heh

He'd better. His life depends on it. lol!

Thanks for the condolences everyone.

12Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Empty Re: Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:27 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:
Flicker Chick wrote:I hope the pluck works and Mr.Tom sorts his stuff out before meeting the pot.

I think Fowler was talking about a more fatal plucking than you are! Laughing

LoL, yeah, I see that now.

13Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Empty Re: Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:06 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good God!!! Could it be????

After her broodiness, the hen stopped laying eggs but then I found one in the nest 2 days ago. I set it aside, might as well collect some and give it another try.

Then last night I saw about a handful of turkey feathers on the ground. Hen looks a bit ruffled on her back. Could he have FINALLY figured out what he's supposed to be doing????? Suspect

14Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Empty Re: Of Stupid Birds and Family Illness Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:59 am

Giddyup

Giddyup

Better late than never?
So sorry about your aunt Fowler Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum