Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Getting a new breeding flock! Ideas for housing?

+3
heda gobbler
Schipperkesue
call ducks
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So I am planning on the addition of a new breeding flock. This flock well be about 110 birds big. So... I need ideas for enclosure. I want something that is not in one place. The flock is going to have a nice free range enclosure and the hens are dwarfed so they do not require as much room indoors as full size hens do.

Soo idea's for coops?

I was thinking something along a hoop farm with sheet metal-but feel like this could blow away. Good thing I have about two months to figure everything out! ( I have to build a new facility just for this flock).

I have a lot I have to figure out ( IE, I am now purchasing feed by the half tonne or tonne).

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

110 birds all at once? That's not a flock, it's a herd!  Shocked 

All kidding aside, no ideas for a building, but what do you use for bedding? Do you have access to sand?

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've seen some terrific hoop barn/cover-alls but we get so much wind here I don't think one would last. It would make a nice run though covered with wire. Not sure about what to do as a building....

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

112 technically but there's two spare cocks...

We don't have a lot of wind. My only concern would be in the winter with the harsh temps we can get. I have thought about a concrete ridge with posts in it, however I don't want to do that as I am still at the 'rents and would be something on their property.

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So I talked with dad, he says I can build a building woot! He said something along the lines of 12 X 16 which is an ok size. I want something a bit bigger like 16X16 or so. The building is just a place for them to stay the night, lay their eggs, get fed and watered. So it does not have to be huge. I plan on doing a 75 X 75 paddock for the breeders so they well have lot's of free range space!

I am getting the chicks June 18th (that's the hatch date). By the time I factor in shipping they are costing me a crap ton of money! (Though still a lot less than any chicks from green fire LOL).

I am excited. Now next thing to tackle- I need more incubator space! If I go with sportsmen incubators I well be able to fill up 2/week just from this flock alone.... Time to look at my options.

Mads

Man, I hope you have a commercial market for that many chicks. Raising chicks is like any other farming venture, you need to have a market for the end product, be that eggs, hatching eggs, chicks or adults. Not trying to burst your bubble, just hoping you stay realistic in your expectations.

Mads

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

16x16 isn't big enough for 112 birds. You need 4 sq. ft. per bird.

At a minimum, you would need 448 sq. ft, which would be closer to a 20x24 building. Go bigger if you can. Overcrowding is a terrible thing to do to chickens.

My chickens have closer to 10 sq. ft. per bird and they're happy as can be. Lots of room to get away from each other.

Your outdoor space allotment is adequate. You may want to divide that up into smaller areas so you can rotate them around to allow the grass to grow back.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mads wrote:Man, I hope you have a commercial market for that many chicks. Raising chicks is like any other farming venture, you need to have a market for the end product, be that eggs, hatching eggs, chicks or adults. Not trying to burst your bubble, just hoping you stay realistic in your expectations.

Mads

Yep. That.

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Mads wrote:Man, I hope you have a commercial market for that many chicks. Raising chicks is like any other farming venture, you need to have a market for the end product, be that eggs, hatching eggs, chicks or adults. Not trying to burst your bubble, just hoping you stay realistic in your expectations.

Mads

You think I would be doing it with out having a business plan in place? These are not a heritage breed; I don't have to worry about selling them I have a market established already in the Maritime's. This well just allow me to establish further into other English speaking parts of the nation.

authenticfarm wrote:16x16 isn't big enough for 112 birds. You need 4 sq. ft. per bird.

At a minimum, you would need 448 sq. ft, which would be closer to a 20x24 building. Go bigger if you can. Overcrowding is a terrible thing to do to chickens.

My chickens have closer to 10 sq. ft. per bird and they're happy as can be. Lots of room to get away from each other.

Your outdoor space allotment is adequate. You may want to divide that up into smaller areas so you can rotate them around to allow the grass to grow back.

It is not for them to live in. And I well not need to provide the typical 4 sqf / bird. I have been rasing chickens for 15 years, and my grandfeather has been at it even longer. If they are eating, sleeping and drinking they don't need that much space. One thing I have learned if a chicken can be out doors it well be. And for those three of four days that they have to be stuck inside with correct roosting space and some enrichment if needed everything well be fine.

Also I have found a design for a layer barn on CSP for 300 it's 20 X 24....

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Call ducks
I don't understand why you ask a question and then always get so defensive when people offer their opinion? Many here have had birds longer than you have been alive I think, you should accept people's opinions that you have solicited with out sounding rude to them. Just my opinion!

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

viczoe wrote:Call ducks
I don't understand why you ask a question and then always get so defensive when people offer their opinion? Many here have had birds longer than you have been alive I think, you should accept people's opinions that you have solicited with out sounding rude to them. Just my opinion!

Heather

Well it was not a question about square footage was it? It was more about housing ideas. My grandfeather has been alive much longer than you! I have learned a lot from him and well respect him more than anyone on the internet. Just saying. And how you interpret my writings is up the way you read it in your head. If you read it with an agrey voice of course it well seem rude, however if you read it with a monotone voice it well seem just that.

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

viczoe wrote:Call ducks

Heather

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Establishing necessary square footage is step one of housing ideas.

Keep up the attitude, young man, and you will soon find no one wants to answer your questions.

Mads

call ducks wrote:

You think I would be doing it with out having a business plan in place? These are not a heritage breed; I don't have to worry about selling them I have a market established already in the Maritime's. This well just allow me to establish further into other English speaking   parts of the nation.

No need to get defensive. I see this all the time, people think they have some ground breaking new idea, but then have no market in place once the product is ready. I have been involved in niche marketing my whole life, so I speak from personal experience.

As was already stated, if you come on here asking for advice, don't get upset if someone tells you something you don't want to hear. Most people on here have more experience than you, and many are giving you advice they themselves have learned the hard way. If you continue to make remarks like you have been, I can guarantee that help will be in short supply in the future.

Good luck in your venture, glad that you have a market figured out.

Mads

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum