Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hardy breeds still need proper housing!

+3
happychicks
Dark Wing Duck
KathyS
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

There is a whole lot of hoopla these days about the hardy breeds and their ability to survive and thrive in harsh conditions. But this has become a bit of a concern with me lately. I recently had someone tell me they are thinking of getting Chanteclers because their coop is old, drafty and uninsulated. They didn’t think it was good enough for chickens in the winter, but hey, maybe these here Chantecler chickens can handle it!
Now this is where I needed to tell the interested people that these are still chickens. They are not Siberian huskies. As a responsible chicken owner you take on the responsibility of keeping them comfortable and providing good living conditions…winter and summer – regardless of the breed. I think we have to be careful not to talk up these hardy breeds to the point where people have unrealistic expectations. Just because the roosters combs are not as quick to freeze off does not mean they don’t feel the cold or deserve the same comforts as other large breeds. If we notice our Chantie roo going outside for a walk on a cold day where the other breeds are staying inside, that is great to see. But remember that rooster knows he has a nice cozy coop to go back to when he feels ready. Burr

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I couldn't agree more!!!!
And then, those same people come on to these message boards and whine for sympathy and blame the cold weather for frozen feet and frost bitten combs!

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

If this site had a "Like" button like facebook, I'd click it!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE! LIKE! LIKE! So true and thanks for bringing this topic up.

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Even better, they want to get heritage chicks from you, as they just wander outside and feed themselves... Boy they weren't happy with my response to that!

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Good post KathyS, I AGREE.

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here, here! I totally agree. I think chickens are often provided minimum care and comfort and suffer as a result - unbelievably cold temperatures, frozen waters, no shade from the heat, etc. Those are the ones who expect to pay pennies a bird as well.

Turn of the century books on poultry tell me a three sided shelter is just fine IF it is properly constructed. The main considerations are the depth of the shelter to provide a draft free area, having it sealed to drafts on three sides, depth of litter, and the birds having to heat as little airspace as possible- accomplished by providing a small hood over top their roost. The roost makes a difference too, it should be wide enough for their toes to lay flat and be covered by feathers. Animals are a bit different from us, we were made for cooling, they are made to produce heat through feed conversion and the right foods like corn and whole wheat will give the energy they need to stay warm. Needless to say of course but I must, if you keep large wattles, combs, and birds with no under feathering in these conditions then....

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ya, Kathy, good post for surely. Chickens deserve respect, look at what they do for us, we can at least make their beautiful little life as cozy and comfy as we would want ours, smiling. Now didn't that paint a pretty picture. I exaggerate, embellish, just slightly. To me making my chickens happy makes me happy. They get good free ranging, they get the best of food, they get lots of human interaction, not that I pick them up, but I hang out with them, right in their midst. I sit down on a pail in each pen and offer goodies from my hand. Some birds were more wild and did not like to do that, but watched the other, more seasoned come and have a nice tidbit, they learned that I am not threat, but being the bearer of good things. Not to say that they don't have fear of me, they do, and with roosters, that is a good thing Razz . Chickens need to be taken care of with respect and this goes to many depths. It is impossible to provide a warm coop at my farm. I don't even try. But I will say that there are no drafts. There is more than adequate ventilation from the open sofit places up high. Even in winter they have fresh water, to me that is important, fresh water, I know that chickens drink the most hideous stuff, but they get good water from me. Greens, as much as I can get for them, yes, and good food. Anyone that thinks that they can just let chickens free range and figure out food themselves has rocks in their heads, oops, did I say that. Anyways, don't know if I flew a little off topic or strayed, but it is what it is. Take care of the birds, they do such a service for us they deserve the respect of being cared for properly. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Dark Wing Duck wrote:I couldn't agree more!!!!
And then, those same people come on to these message boards and whine for sympathy and blame the cold weather for frozen feet and frost bitten combs!

Gee, I hope someone feels sorry for me some day...I don't have a feather down coat, and I live in a drafty old barely insulated atco skid shack. In winter I tell Ma I'm gonna move into her refrigerator cause at least the water isn't froze in there, forget the SPCA I'm going for the haystack this year LOL.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum