Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bad Puppy, Bad Owner

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bad Puppy, Bad Owner Empty Bad Puppy, Bad Owner Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well, I've had Gracie, a 12 week old Great Pyr for 4 days now. She has been quite well behaved. She wanted to play a couple times with the chickens, but a firm, "No!" Did the trick. Today I had to cut the back yard grass where my 7 week old birds are. I brought her in the yard with me and she fell asleep while I cut the grass. I kept watching her as I know not to trust a new dog with the birds right away. She kept sleeping and I kept cutting and checking. Next thing she has a bird in her mouth and is running behind the greenhouse. She killed one of my 7 week old Euskal Oiloas. Crap! This is not good. I know its my job to see that this didn't happen. Am I going to be able to trust her again? You can bet we have some serious training ahead of us.

2Bad Puppy, Bad Owner Empty Re: Bad Puppy, Bad Owner Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think it is just puppy play, catching her in the act is definately going to help firm up the "no" part of it. Our pup had a hard time with young free ranging chicks too, especially if they got out of their pen and "didn't belong". It is too bad she killed it though.
What I did with my pup was a long line, it was always attached to me so he not only learned to come and stay close to me but also I had a hold of him if I had to do a firm correction. The only time he was off his leash was play time in the yard or when he was in his kennel. After about 1 month I started letting him off when I was around and he never looked twice at a bird.
I did catch him with a Cochin pullet in his mouth just the other day, she had escaped from her pen and he was playing with her. I thought for sure she was dead but I yelled and he dropped her, I ran up the hill and there she was fine as day just laying there until I stood her up. She hasnt looked back and he hasnt done it again, even with the bird that got out this am, he just sat and watched it till I came and put it away.
They are smart dogs, just need a bit of direction.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Bad Puppy, Bad Owner Empty Re: Bad Puppy, Bad Owner Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Weiss

New Here

AWWW MAN, That stinks!

Sometimes i have found when bringing pets together that keeping one or both in a cage next to each other for a little is a good start. That way the dog can smell them and examine a little without being able to actually touch it.
Also, maybe if you were to hold a bird and pet it, sort of in your lap, and let the dog smell the bird. After a few encounters with you holding the bird maybe the dog will becomes less curious, or just used to them...
Wish you much luck!!

4Bad Puppy, Bad Owner Empty Re: Bad Puppy, Bad Owner Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

For today, her name has changed from "Grace" to "Disgrace", though it is hard to be mad at that puppy face for too long. We'll keep working, sigh.

5Bad Puppy, Bad Owner Empty Re: Bad Puppy, Bad Owner Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:20 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Crying or Very sad Oh, I'm sorry Susan.
Well, hopefully it is just a little bump in the road. I agree that catching her in the act was really a good thing. She will remember how upset you were with her, and hopefully will never do anything like that again. Most dogs really do want to please us and they feel terrible when they know they've done wrong.
And she is still just a pup and learning the rules. With more time and maturity I'm willing to bet she will become everything you are hoping for in a dog.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

6Bad Puppy, Bad Owner Empty Re: Bad Puppy, Bad Owner Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:08 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey Susan,

One of the best commands I've taught my dogs is 'leave it'. When we first got our dog, after teaching him this command with treats and reinforcing it, I then applied it to the birds whenever he just showed interest, and when he showed no interest or attempt at going for the birds, I would praise him saying 'good leave it' and then pick a chick up, petting it and continuing to say 'good leave it'. Between repeating the command and showing affection towards the bird, he learned it was not an option to pursue it and that it was part of the family......not to be harmed.

It is one of my favourite, most useful commands. Even now if he finds a wild fledgling bird on the ground, he so wants to go for it but hesitates and I praise him with a 'good........'
Now with voles, it's a different story. All bets are off and he goes for them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum