Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Puppy!

+6
Hidden River
uno
SerJay
Magdelan
mirycreek
Blue Hill Farm
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New Puppy!  Empty New Puppy! Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:14 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

New Puppy!  Juno2014002

Meet Juno, the newest addition to our family and farm. She is a Maremma Great Pyrenees cross and the smartest, sweetest, most serene puppy I’ve ever met. We got her to be a guardian for our property and my chickens. She is loving, laid back, great with children, and makes training super easy so far. If I had known having a dog could be like this I would have agreed to hubby and the kids request years ago! Lol I just plain adore her.  I love you 

New Puppy!  Juno2014003

Just wanted to share our new joy.  Very Happy

2New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:27 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

aw...love the pics!  they are very adorable but I always figured lgds for being slow to mature as in they were puppyish for a long time?  glad yours is smart amd trainable..nothing better than a good dog!!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:40 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

that is a beautiful looking puppy, and what a cutie kid :-).

4New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Aww congrats she looks huggable Smile Glad training is going well

5New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:11 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cute pup! THe guy in glasses is a sweetie too. Those two are going to get up to some adventures!

6New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:37 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very sweet puppy Flicker, but how does she protect your bird when she is in your house! She should be in the chicken coop. LOL

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

7New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You know, the great Pyr was the easiest puppy I have raised. Something about these LGDs, eh, soon-to-be-ex-Flickerchick?

8New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Adorable! So sweet.....thanks for sharing your joy with all of us.

9New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:07 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks guys. We love her so much already.

Oh Juno definitely has her moments of puppy playfulness, (and selective hearing) but a lot of the time she seems really “grown up” for a puppy, if you know what I mean. I’m sure the hellion teenage stage is coming though! Lol She’s 13 weeks right now.

Hidden, you are so right!  Laughing I have the solution at hand or so I’m going to sell to hubby. And that is I'll need to raise a few chicks inside the house to form the best bird bond possible. Win, win for me.  Wink Otherwise she’s already doing great with my adult birds. She sits outside the open coop doors while I do chores, calm yet alert. She doesn’t even finch when the chickens (who are way more nervous than her) take flight suddenly. Only issue so far is her disgusting habit of eating chicken poop. It's like a fine delicacy to her. Yuck. Regular deworming is going to be a must!

I can honestly say I don’t think I’d ever want another breed of dog. LGD’s rule.  Cool

Last edited by Flicker Chick on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling, doh)

10New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:12 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes my dogs love chicken poo, my border collie mix guards my pen gates while I feed/water so I don't have to keep opening and closing them, and as I go along the further and further into the pen he gets snacking on poo, frozen poo is his favorite.
The teenager years for LGD seems to be the 6 month - 2 year stage...Our Akbash we got last January goes out on patrol a lot more now, but he still has his trouble streak that is a mile long, his favorite is going in and finding oil rags my hubby used and drags them all over the yard...Thankfully he has finally grown out of the "playing with ducks" stage, I hope...

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

11New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:38 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeah, frozen poop seems to be the bomb all right. lol What worries me is during spring thaw when all that is frozen is suddenly not.  silent Guess I'll climb that bridge when I get to it. haha

'trouble streak a mile long' makes me chuckle, but glad he is starting to get it. Some never learn or so I've been told. Wait, are we still discussing dogs here?  Razz

12New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:12 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

oh heck. that poop eating thing. I am really quite robust for what turns my stomach and I find myself surprised at how my face has contorted into a screwed up shape, squinty eyes, and my guts feel a little squirmy. of all the poops a dog could choose to find delightful . . . calf poop I can understand but chicken doo - that would be it for a lifetime of good morning kisses from beloved canine for me  pale . sorry, got a little fixated there. it is passing.

welcome to Blue Hill Farm  cheers  What a nice name, it sounds elegant to me - I have that song by Fats Domino going in my head now, Blueberry Hill. I know not the same but still, there it is :-).

13New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:22 am

What a cutie~ your son too. Wink

I have a 4 year old Maremma, and he's awesome at doing his work, but make no mistake: he's 125 lbs of PUPPY. He's such a dork when I'm out there with the other dogs. And the other day I left a bag of recycling outside by accident and when I got up it was strewn all around the place. But otherwise he isn't destructive. He's a very good dog.

14New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:08 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you both.  Smile 

Magdelan, I have a pretty high gross meter myself, but there is something extra disgusting about coprophagia. (My new word of the week, haha) Actually this has made me think of an old friend of my mums, who always walked around her barnyard and corrals in BARE feet. We all thought she was a tad out there, but each to their own, eh. Maybe also why she had such well behaved dogs…. Suspect lol now I'm going to have to go play that song.   Very Happy 

Farmchiq, I’d love to see a pic of your boy sometime. Maremma’s are gorgeous. I don’t think I’d get away with leaving a bag of anything within reach of mine either!

15New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:55 am

Ah, you only have to hint once and I'm happy to share!  I love my dogs.

These pics are from the year I got him, so he was just 2-going-on-3.  He's much bigger/bulkier now.  He has a head like a polar bear!

New Puppy!  Chev2_zps4d7bec5e

New Puppy!  Chev1_zps2c22769b

New Puppy!  Chev3_zps114d7fe9

The last one was the week I brought him home.  He knew his job without being asked, although we did spend a fair bit of time walking the fenceline together.  

Cheers.

16New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:12 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Very cute, both of them!!!

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

17New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:02 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ooo, he's lovely farmchiq. Thanks for sharing the pics.  Smile 

And thank you islandgal. I don't think it gets much cuter than a puppy... well except chicks, ducklings, and little piglets.  tongue

18New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:09 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Blue Hill, wonderful, I had never heard of any of the livestock guardian dogs until hearing so much of them on our forum, and Farmchiq getting one. The picture of your child and the pup are beautiful, seventh heaven for little children and big dogs, I love that. Farmchiq, beautiful pictures of Chevy and the other pooches, really, nice pictures. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

19New Puppy!  Empty Re: New Puppy! Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:06 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum