Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parboil puppy

+5
appway
islandgal99
Arcticsun
fuzzylittlefriend
smokyriver
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Parboil puppy Empty Parboil puppy Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:10 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a friend who is trying to save a puppy who has parvovirus vet has given up on him sent him home to die. Any help or advice would be appreciated thanks.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

2Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:28 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fluids get pedilyte and force feed even if vomiting. We used to fast them but now the research says not too. I hope the vet sent them home with antibiotics and anti vomiting medication at least? How long was the puppy hospitalized for?

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

3Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:34 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sometime it can drag on and on and on. Sometimes it is over quickly.
Do you have any more info?
Has the puppy been staying at the vet?
Was it on IV?
How long has it been treated?
How sick is the pup? How is it behaving?

WHY DID THE VET SEND IT HOME... I hope he told her what to do and how to prevent it from spreading like wildfire! She needs to know that SHE is now a secondary carrier of parvo! She can spread it far and wide just walking through a park or touching another dog or shaking hands with another dog's owner......

Sometimes the will to live is a big chunk of it, so companionship and petting can make a difference. Try to genly move legs without making baby upset or more nausious. Keep the blood moving. have him sleep on something quite soft and turn him from left to right every half hour to hour.

They dont really die of the parvo, they die of everything else, dehydration, GI tract collapse, renal failure, secondary bacterial infection.

Pedialyte, specifically the fruit flavoured, can help hydrate baby. Gatoraid is ok but not great, but more palatable.

Keep baby warm, calm, hydrated. Karo syrup and raw honey can be your friend, it can help them when they need a little pick up.

NUTRICAL is a paste in a tube. It is full nutrition in a paste, tell her to GET SOME> Give baby a little every hour, just a little.

Ringers lactate. Have some and the needed syringe/needles to keep up with APPROPRIATE sub-Q hydration.

Watch out that you keep everything as clean as possible and use isolation/quarantine procedures.
A rubbermaid tote, especially a clear one, can be a life saver for the pup and other animals. You want to be able to see baby, and for baby to be seen, but you really need to deal with the bodily fluids. Use paper towels and hand towls.

Baby diapers can help control things. If baby is just paying there then put the diaper under it as to collect fecal or urinary fluids. Get rubber gloves...

WOW... I dont even know where to go with this. We dont really have any information about what stage baby is at. She needs to do everything she can to keep it from spreading. Keep baby warm, appropriately hydrated, Electrolytes, energy sources are needed. Google "Liver Tea Parvo" for info on boiling liver and getting a juice rfom it to feed baby.

Bleach is her friend. Bleach everything. Use handsanitizer a lot. Have her get VIRKON from the vet and have the vet instruct her as to how to use it.

4Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:41 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fluids, fluids, fluids are a must into this poor little thing. If it were me would also try oil of wild oregano, they won't be able to ingest it but maybe some rubbed into his chest so the smell can be inhaled and the oil can be absorbed through the skin. I use it myself every time I am surrounded by sick people or feel I may have a bug coming on...I never catch the bugs.

That seems odd that the vet would send it home to die...if he's that sick then he's just suffering. Hopefully they were sent home with a syringe, lactated ringers (fluids) and instruction on how to give sub-q fluids. Otherwise they need to keep trying to get some fluids into him, every 20-30 minutes.

I also found this website...has lots of good info.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/heal_parvo.html

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

5Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:17 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Her vet did not do anything for the pup. Just diagnosed it and sent it home so it would not contaminate the dogs in their care. They had 7 dogs in the clinic that were there for a few days. She has been using oregano oil and sunflower oil on him. She has other dogs, but all have been vaccinated. This boy was supposed to have been vaccinated also. She said he is still walking around but not keeping anything in him

6Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:40 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Did the Vet do a Parvo Test or just say that is what it is
Could it have been small does of Poison
I will say follow all the advise given
Tell her if it is Parvo she will know the smell from the Bloody stools
Is he just Vomiting? or Bloody stools also
If it is a small dose of Poison say from eating a poisoned mouse or rat (i know Alberta dont have them) and he is just vomiting is he eating if so give him bread and make sure he drinks water

7Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Very good advice here from everyone... I would like to add that it is time to find another vet. Did they at least suggest a clinic that would be better able to care for your baby? If a vet were to turn my pet away because they are either lazy or ill equipped to deal with parvo, I would take my hard earned cash and find another clinic to spend it at! Parvo often takes several days of intensive care to treat....we are heading into the long weekend. Hummmmm coincidence? I doubt it!

8Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:08 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Is the dog just vomiting or having diarrhea too? Cottage cheese or chicken breast and white rice boiled up is easy for them to digest. You can mix some chicken or beef broth with water to encourage pup to drink as well as it will boost the water with some electrolytes. If she can get to the store and pick up some pedialyte that is awesome stuff for keeping them hydrated too. I seriously hope the vet sent the pup home with antibiotics. A puppy can still get parvovirus if they have been vaccinated, that is why they need a series of 3 parvo vaccinations to build up sufficient immunity to be protected against it. Parvo is not common in adult dogs, just pups and old immunocompromised dogs can get it but in 8 years working as a vet assistant I never saw a dog older then a few months old get parvo. We also would never have sent a parvo puppy home - it's called isolation within the vet clinic, it's really not that hard but does require good medicine. I would advocate for them finding a new vet.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

9Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:17 am

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Echo 1 wrote:Very good advice here from everyone... I would like to add that it is time to find another vet.  Did they at least  suggest a clinic that would be better able to care for your baby? If a vet were to turn my pet away because they are either lazy or ill equipped to deal with parvo, I would take my hard earned cash and find another clinic to spend it at!  Parvo often takes several days of intensive care to treat....we are heading into the long weekend.  Hummmmm coincidence?  I doubt it!
I agree...I've never heard of a pup with Parvo being sent home. It usually goes straight to isolation, on IV fluids and medication to help it make it through. Sounds like lazy to me...they would have had to pay someone OT to stick around to watch isolation critters. Sad

The unfortunate thing with parvo is that any dog that is stressed or has a compromised immune system can be affected...and ensure if you have dogs you stay away also.  It's very contagious, and I've seen situations where vaccines didn't work against new strains of disease even in vaccinated dogs.  One vaccine may have given enough protection to let the pup get through it, but one won't prevent it.  The fact he's walking is a good sign, often with pups by the time it's figured out what it is it's too late...tell them to keep trying to get fluids into him, that is the most critial thing.

Last edited by islandgal99 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:20 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added more words)

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

10Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:25 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is probably too late, and for this I am sad. We had a puppy that fully recovered, without vet intervention for the most part. We forced colloidal silver water down the throat of the pup. He began to recover within hours. Geeeeeeeze. I wish I would have seen this earlier. This silver colloid in water kills bacteria and will also kill parvo virus. Damn. Wish I would have seen this earlier. Even still, maybe give the information and try to see if it maybe is not too late. It is worth a try. As I said, our pup was on death's door too....sigh. CynthiaM.

11Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:14 am

I remembered reading somewhere that Oregano oil was particularly effective for helping strengthen a puppy that has parvo. Someone else here mentioned it also. I would put the oil on my fingers and rub it into their gums and hold it under their tongue where it's quickly absorbed. When my tom cat gets hurt, I put it on his paws so he licks it off himself.

As always, I recommend a probiotic. It cannot hurt, even if it doesn't do much good. If the gut is well armed for war, it can put up the best fight. I would also mix some aloe vera juice into the water (1 tbsp per litre) if you can get the animal to drink. Protects good gut flora and destroys the rest, flushing the systems.

I think, though, Fuzzy is probably the best person for this and I would recommend her first. Parvo is sketchy for sure, and that vet needs to be kicked in the mouth and be spayed/neutered themselves so they don't breed their stupidity into future generations (though it may be too late already!).

Keep us posted, okay?

12Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:01 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am thinking he was poisoned and it was not parvovirus. He is drinking water now in small amounts, no bloody stools at all, just vomiting. She could not get to her regular vet so went to a new clinic. She has said she would never go back there!! The scary part for her is she raises small dogs, and has a couple females who are due next week. They are indoors, and she has him in the barn with a heat lamp for comfort. She has a bleach tub she scrubs up in before she goes to him and after. She has a pair of coveralls and booties that she puts on just to see him. He is jumping around playing this morning, but not eating yet. He also just started showing signs yesterday early morning

13Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:06 am

I'm so happy to be reading this! I had nothing to add to the good advice given, but was biting my nails hoping for a good outcome. I lost a puppy to Parvo once, after doing all we could. Back then I wasn't aware of natural remedies and relied on the Vet to do what they could. It was heartbreaking and horrible for the pup and for me. This was a pup I had picked up at Animal Control and brought directly to my Vet for vaccines. Turns out he and his whole litter were already infected and sadly, none survived. So my memories of and experience with Parvo are extremely negative. Thank you for sharing your friend's puppy story, and I will continue to hope for the best outcome for all (especially given the presence of soon-to-whelp animals). It sounds like she's doing everything right. I hope you'll let us know the coming days.

14Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:08 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

The poor guy was very lethargic, and nauseous yesterday and did not want to eat or drink. Not the normally playful Newfoundland/Pyrenees cross that he usually is!

I am pretty POd at the vet because they sent her home with nothing!!  Luckily she had done research on parvovirus in years past so knew some things, but many suggestions here had been missed or forgotten!  I just hope he does not go downhill again. They have had a rough go with farm dogs recently!!  They had a wolf pack kill one, they had to regime one because it was Killing her poultry and baby goats, another got ran over(it ran under her husbands big truck trailer as he was leaving the yard) and now this!!

15Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:11 am

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I wondered if it was gi vs parvo. Without the test they look the same. Glad puppy is feeling better. They can give gravol for vomiting 1 to 2 mg per kg. get the kids liquid or dissolve a tabs d syringe it in.

They can still get it if they have not had all three vaccine boosters they just tend to get over it quickly.

I would also recommend they call the avma. I know in bc we are required to have an isolation policy in place as part of the hospital and every hospital should. They should not be sending patients away just because the don't want to deal with it. At least refere them to someone who can.

16Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:36 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I called the owner of the clinic. He was not working but was a newly hired vet on. He has given the vet in question a pink slip. He is POd that she dared to send a dog with a potentially deadly disease that is highly contagious home, much less with nothing!! I did some searching and found he had just opened this clinic and thought he had someone running it that he could trust!! I guess this wasn't the first time she pulled something major like this but it will be her last at this clinic!!

17Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:16 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That's great! I would still report that vet to the avma as they will keep a file on complaints. She could potentially lose her liscence if she keeps f*** up.

18Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:16 pm

Agreed, Fuzzy. I'm glad the pup seems to be improving.

19Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:50 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

The owner of the clinic was taking care of all reports. He was pretty upset, and has offered to treat the pup for free if he does take another downward turn. He was going to put in a complaint with the board

20Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:44 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That's great.

21Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:21 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Unfortunately he has taken a turn for the worse. The vet has him in his care, but has told her it does not look good for survival. Sad. Poor boy!!

22Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:07 am

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh dear. At least he's getting care. They kind of go through a roller coaster so hopefully he starts heading uphill again soon Sad

23Parboil puppy Empty Re: Parboil puppy Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:19 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry to hear he has had a down turn. Fingers crossed for him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum